I broke something~ Help please :/

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Ok, well after a few mistakes and a butcher of those same wires that i broke earlier (now for good though) i am back online and seems to be working fine, been up maybe 15 min so far, we'll see. Had to reinstall the drivers for the GT again

http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...samurai/HDcablesvs.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...i/HDdvddrivecables.jpg

And MonKENy. Let me send you a giftcard or something. :) You helped me so much, it probably would have cost me a few hundred to get best buy to do anything and you saved me alot of money and my system and you took alot of time helping me. E-mail me your info so i can send you a gift card. Just name your store. :)

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Damn, it went down again. I tried to see how the gfx look now, so i started up hellgate london, everything was turned up to the max automatically by the system so i didn't last even 2 minutes when the monitor just lost signal and then i had to reboot. Took 3 times....:( It's better, way better than before, but what's wrong?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
you cant keep it like that. fucking stupid store build rigs. that case is way undersize for all that. i have no idea why it would go down again. if you had settings up to high it would just lag to hell or freeze it wouldnt shut down. *sigh* let your sys sit w/out playing a game and see how it runs.

thats just a bad setup. period. one more reason why ill never buy a pre build ever.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
that card above it is the tv tuner isnt it? if you dont ever want to use it as a tv tunet then I think you could take it out but it wont be much of a difference I dont think. and no it wouldnt over heat that fast and enough to shut down like that . give me a few min im gonna look for something to see if you are getting enough power.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
yeah, then im at a loss for why its doing it now. you sure you have all the drivers correctly installed?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
are there power supply drivers?
I installed the correct drivers for the vid card. And see, it's working fine now. But when i try playing hellgate for example it shuts off. I lowered the settings even a bit more, and it took a bit longer for it to shut off. So i'm positive it's something to do with that...

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
no, no drivers for PSU. try a different game. and im almost 100% sure that a card doesnt shut down if the specs are to demanding. unless its trying to draw to much power.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I don't have any other games installed, i only put Hellgate on to see the cards. I need to get to bed, i have to get up in a few hours for work. Listen, again MonKENy, thanks so much. Send me that info, you still deserve a gift card in my eyes. :) Maybe you can help me more tomorrow if you're for it. And thanks again, as well as everyone here.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
what are the specs you put in for that calculator. because i just got a reading of 581 watts with what i put in for you. ok yeah im getting tired to. for sure we will work on it more tomorrow., that will give others a chance to chime in as well and maybe see something we missed. G'night man. have a good day tomorrow.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Your problem sounds a lot like a problem I was having with my X1900XTX. Periodically, my monitor would lose signal and go into standby mode while the rest of the system continued normally (I could still hear sounds from the game).

The problem was the voltage regulator was overheating.

Try setting the fan to 100% and see how long it lasts. Also, take out any components you dont need, especially ones above or below the video card. Try moving as many cables as you can away from the video card and finally, open the side of the case and point a small table fan at the inside of the case if you have one.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MonKENy
Originally posted by: QuiksilverX1
OMG Also the best buy link says there is a remote control for that PC, so I'm think it might be a RF sensor. Have you tried to see if that works?

I think the rf sensor is on the card itself. But it may be that except that wouldnt explain why that chip was plugged into the sata port on the MB. plus that chip is on the back of the pc.

Data Transfer Via BlueTooth ? mebbe?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
MonKENy - I'm not 100% sure on what specs i'm SUPPOSED to put in, so you're probably more accurate than me. :/ And again thank you for all the time you put into this for me. I feel extremely helpless with computers when it's this deep. :/ And now I'm even a bit desperate as i really want to get this to work, I don't want to take it back since I tempered with the inside.

Matt2 - Yeah that's exactly what's happening. How do i set the fan to 100% and what do you mean, how long will it last? The fan or the monitor from shutting down again? I opened the case before I left this morning so it could breathe easier, and i will remove the TV tuner like you and MonKENy said. Will see if I can find a fan also.

keysplayr2003 - Could be, i know it has a wireless antenna installed in the computer, as well as a remote control sensor. I'm not too worried about that. I don't use the computer to watch tv, I like my HDTVs for that, they're bigger than my little 17" monitor :)

Any help would be appreciated :)

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I've decided that if we can't make this work...what if i buy a new case....would i be able to transfer all components over? Or maybe some of them and get some for the new case? That's only last resort just so i don't loose the money i put into this so far.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
yeah. you should be able to transfer the stuff to a new case if need be. but hopefully it wont be required.

and im almost 100% sure that the chip thats hanging is your multi media connections (sd card reader, usb, firewire). that fat white wire goes into the MB and looks just like the one on mine that connects to my USB ports.the blue/black wire is what powers the case LED when you are using it. one of the black wires is ground and the other connects to the front panel. I just checked and the specs on that pc dont say anything about blue tooth. does it have it?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I don't think so, but like you said and i think like it was mentioned earlier, its for the multimedia card reader or the antenna. I cut the wires completely, but the SD Pro reader still works, so that's fine. I don't care about the other card readers or the antenna.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Can't right now, i'm at work. Will when i get home. Some of them do, at least the ones in the back do because i use my mouse/keyboard and my iphone/ipod/digital camera through them. So they do, the firewire for my external HDD works too.

So, what do i do now about the monitor problem :/

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
K thank you again, maybe it is the powersupply? I only bumped it 300, is it enough? I put in some more things into the tool you linked and i got 638. i put in that i have.

EDIT: - So it's not the PSU then.

And that's all i knew, that's without fans, i have no clue which i have.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
You dont have all that stuff.

Your system doesn't need any more than 500 watts, for sure.

I plugged in your exact system specs to the extreme.outervision calculator:
Q6600
High end ATX board
3 sticks DDR2
8800GT
2 hard drives
3 fans
TV Tuner
some USB devices etc, and all at 100% utilization and got ~380 watts. This should be fine.

~MiSfit

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
My money is on either an insufficient PSU, a bad video card or a PCIe slot that is not providing enough juice. I'm going to say the broken wires are coincidental in this whole mess.