I broke something~ Help please :/

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
Hey stop pulling peoples legs next time have Best buy install it .

what???? if you dont have something constructive to say , then just dont say anything. is that what you would tell everyone whos trying to learn something new?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
You know i think that the problem is being caused by a vista memory leak or whatever it's called. There's 3 fixes for it. (I have been researching this for past 3 days) And i found
these 3 files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

but i can't install them, when i try to install from firefox it says to install the validation tool, but it keeps saying server not found, when i do it from IE, it says i should look for direct X pop up, but nothing happens, and when i try alternative method, server error as well.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Found this too:

"Microsoft has released a fix for Vista users that should greatly reduce the number of Out of Memory crashes while playing Hellgate: London.

Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 for more information."

So i think it is a memory leak problem now. The PSU problem has been fixed thanks to you guys.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
another thing to do is install a diff game and try to run that. see if your sys just doesnt like hellgate.

also do a windows update. do a Custom update and make sure you get EVRYTHING

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
You should let a technician look and explain it to them. I don't think you should me messing with it by the look of things.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
well if there were no optional updates just try playing a diff game. or something. after that well.....im outa ideas my friend, sorry

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
lol, Its cool dude. I dont need anything. im just helping out. maybe if we had actually fixed the issue or something. So what do you plan on doing from here? Are you gonna try and return it? or what?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I'm not sure honestly. I'm gonna try HL2 tomorrow and see how that runs, if no go I'm gonna take it back and get back here to see if i can get help with building one from scratch. If it's just Hellgate and it's the memory leak I've read about, maybe i can get the patch sometime. For now, I'm heading to bed. Thanks a ton man, and have a good night :)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
no problem. Yeah hopefully its just that game but if not ill help you piece together a new system. have a good night.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: tkdromeo
I'm not sure honestly. I'm gonna try HL2 tomorrow and see how that runs, if no go I'm gonna take it back and get back here to see if i can get help with building one from scratch.

I'd suggest you take it back, get a branded computer replacement (Dell, HP, etc.) and work with that for a while. I don't think putting a PC together is in your best interest given what you've written.

Re: Your out-of-memory questions - the games should still run, and shouldn't crash as you've seen. Please let us know what happens when you try another game.

What does the application log and system log (event logs) say about all of this?

Can you tell us again the exact problem you now have?

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Both are overpriced, but I'd get the Gateway - $200 less, has what you need, you can upgrade gfx later if wanted.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Thanks again Clive. Now let's hope they let me trade in. The current computer has nothing wrong with it other than the remote control doesn't work. Other than that, i just checked it and it works fine. So, wish me luck!

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
well, I'm kinda tied up with best buy now. If they let me reselect. I'm omw there now. Am driving.

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
If you're going to swap the video card again, ask them to open the machine you're planning to get so you can get a look inside to make sure your new video card will fit comfortably. The 8800GT is 9" long, plus you should add at least another inch because the PCI-E power plug is on the end.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Originally posted by: FishTaco
If you're going to swap the video card again, ask them to open the machine you're planning to get so you can get a look inside to make sure your new video card will fit comfortably. The 8800GT is 9" long, plus you should add at least another inch because the PCI-E power plug is on the end.

Yes sir. Was going to so that to check space and the W on the powersupply. Thanks for the dimmensions I forgot to get them. :)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: tkdromeo
well, I'm kinda tied up with best buy now. If they let me reselect. I'm omw there now. Am driving.

Yeah i know. i was just making a comment. What do you really want them to do? let you reselect or return it?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
They actually took everything back. Which is nice. I'm gonna think on what to do now. :)_

Everything: PC - 1159
GPU - 279.99
PSU - 179.99 (i think, i forgot)
Everything - 1600~~ plus taxes.

Maybe i should just have one built for me from alienware or another company like that.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
i wouldnt go to alienware,dell,gateway. any of them. if anything buy all your parts and we can help you put it together. (alienware is dell btw)

well i mean its your $ you can do what you want. Sogo ahead and get it. but I would just highly advise against it.