I broke something~ Help please :/

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
have a tape measure handy? measure the size of your current PS so you know how big yours can fit.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: tkdromeo
P.s again, it seems i resoldered the wires good because i was able to use the multimedia reader for the MS Pro Duo :) I feel very good about that accomplishment btw.

just to be safe try the remote and make sure that works. if so..pat yourself on the back. son you did good.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: QuiksilverX1
That PSU is overkill anyway, I'd just go with this.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...oduct&id=1188560188623

Also buying stuff online yields better prices. :S

Also does HP use proprietary connectors like dell? If so then you would need to find an HP compatible PSU.

nope the PS in that case is generic. he will be ok. but yeah I was thinking that 500 would be enough as well but shit if he want more let there be more. better for future upgrades anyway.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Yeah. Your power supply is _not_ enough to run a high end video card.

See, this is why I hate OEM computers. They stuff their tiny plastic coated cases to the gills with barely any breathing room, and give the system JUST enough power for the stock configuration. God help you if you want to upgrade anything.

You COULD frankenswap in an off the shelf power supply - HP and the other major OEM's stopped using proprietary connections awhile ago - but the major issue is going to be shoehorning the PSU into the case. They are likely using a proprietary form factor for the PSU, so you can likely forget about that as well.

You're going to be better off returning everything and building your own box :D

Also, why are you so sold on best buy? There are MANY other component vendors that are much cheaper and have better selection. Newegg, M-Wave, ClubIT, etc... all come to mind.

The power supply you link to isn't bad, but it's frankly overpriced. If you MUST buy from bestbuy.com - the Antec Earthwatts 500 is a pretty solid PSU that should have more than enough juice. The 8800gt requires 20A on the 12V rail, and the Earthwatts 500 provides two distinct 12V rails at 17A each, so you're good to go. $100 is a decent deal on it, but it's only $80 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16817371007) Again, the big question is whether or not you can fit it in your case!

I guess if you want to go out and have it RIGHT NOW, then get it at bestbuy! :)

~MiSfit

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
1. http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...murai/HDdimentions.jpg Here's dimensions.
2. Remote works hehe.
3. I have a best buy card, so i can get 3 mos financing :) I'm commission based, so time to pay is good, i don't get a steady paycheck, some are big, some are small and some are very nice hehe. So when i get the very nice ones i pay these things off.
4. Thanks for the suggestions, let me know if they still are good for the dimensions i gave.
5. And yes, I'd like it right now.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: MonKENy

Also does HP use proprietary connectors like dell? If so then you would need to find an HP compatible PSU.

nope the PS in that case is generic. he will be ok. but yeah I was thinking that 500 would be enough as well but shit if he want more let there be more. better for future upgrades anyway.

If I were in your position Id get something like this, if I had a PC club close by

http://pcclub.com/product_details.cfm?itemno=A6211121#

see how the cables come pre wrapped? Its great to keep clutter to a min. Its not to expensive. its got all the connections you will need. its powerful enough and has a little extra if you ever want to add another optical drive or HD (hard drive). I have a thermaltake in my case and am happy with it. its a 450Watt. Where ever you go keep an eye out for the wrapped cables.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007

If I were in your position Id get something like this, if I had a PC club close by

http://pcclub.com/product_details.cfm?itemno=A6211121#

see how the cables come pre wrapped? Its great to keep clutter to a min. Its not to expensive. its got all the connections you will need. its powerful enough and has a little extra if you ever want to add another optical drive or HD (hard drive). I have a thermaltake in my case and am happy with it. its a 450Watt. Where ever you go keep an eye out for the wrapped cables.

K will do, but what do i get from best buy atm? :)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: themisfit610
Yeah. Your power supply is _not_ enough to run a high end video card.

See, this is why I hate OEM computers. They stuff their tiny plastic coated cases to the gills with barely any breathing room, and give the system JUST enough power for the stock configuration. God help you if you want to upgrade anything.

--------I 100% agree. its BS BUUUT it also makes you give them more $ when you DO want to upgrade!!

You COULD frankenswap in an off the shelf power supply - HP and the other major OEM's stopped using proprietary connections awhile ago - but the major issue is going to be shoehorning the PSU into the case. They are likely using a proprietary form factor for the PSU, so you can likely forget about that as well.

-------------nope. there is no form factor in this case. he should be able to hot swap a PS easy as pie.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: tkdromeo K will do, but what do i get from best buy atm? :)

Whatever you can get cheap thats around 500 watts. is the 8800 THAT much of a better card that you MUST MUST MUST use it right this second?

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
Naw, it's just that i don't like to drag anything out and get things done asap. :) SO if i can do it now, I'd do it now.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
hey its your $. id say buy that one AND the 500 watt because at 6.6inches it may be to cramped. and if it doesnt fit you will already have the other one no need to take an extra trip. then next time your out return which ever one doesnt get used.

imported_Keiichi

Nov 3, 2007
Wow, props to MonKENy for being insanely helpful. tkdromeo, you should treat the guy to dinner (somehow...) or something when this is all over lol.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I have had ppl go out of their way for me so I like to help when I can.I just hope he gets things working. I know how frustrating it can be to have things you depend on go out on you. its what brought me to these forums to begin with.i assume he has a secondary pc since hes been talking to us while this prob has been going on. So hopefully we will be able walk him through switching PSU

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I would totally treat him. I was thinking about that while driving. Maybe get him something and mail it i don't know heh. But, i really really really do appreciate your help MonKENy and everyone else here. I do have another computer, but it's in my little brother's room and I'm about to put him to bed in minutes. I'm using the current pc with the old video card.

here's what i got.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...&cp=1&id=1156203858419

They didn't have the BFG on hand.

http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...ansamurai/HDtextps.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...samurai/HDcablesps.jpg

Now, anything i need to know before i start?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
lol yeah. remember where all the connections go. look at where the power strip that goes into your mb is. are there two one that looks like ::::: and a 4 pin like :: make sure you use the correct 4 pin power cord. if you want me to take pics of mine ill show you.

jeesz i really wish you could be on a pc while you are doing this.

but meh i have faith just make sure you ONLY unplug stuff that goes to the PSU. dont mess with any jumpers or any wires that go to the front of your case. if it will make things easier label the old PS cords as you take them off so you can match them with the new ones that way you wont mix anything up.

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I'm gonna post some of the connectors...maybe that could help, you could say which one goes where. :)

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
jeesz i really wish you could be on a pc while you are doing this.

but meh i have faith just make sure you ONLY unplug stuff that goes to the PSU. dont mess with any jumpers or any wires that go to the front of your case. if it will make things easier label the old PS cords as you take them off so you can match them with the new ones that way you wont mix anything up.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
yep you will probably use the 4 and 24 pin. ok you should do fine. we will be here if something does go wrong. if you have a messenger ill turn my trillian on if you want so you can just IM me if something goes horribly wrong.

you will be able to tell which ones go to what connections as you pull off the old ones. the 4 pins that look like .... are to power the HD and Optical drive. the thinner flatter ones are for sata i believe. you should have some tiny ones for your fans (unless your fans use the .... config)

tkdromeo

Nov 5, 2007
I can use my iphone to log onto the boards here, takes forever, but if something happens i'll post. Thanks again! wish me luck... "Nurse, scalpel."

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
lol, good luck...im gonna go play puzzle quest ill check back in a wgile to see if your back