I am feeling old

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was given orthotics last year, but considering I'm sitting most of the time I don't think that will actually fix the problem just make it a bit more barable when I actually am on my feet. Started last year. Got morton's syndrome. This year it's not morton's but the achillies tendon. Not quite as bad as last year as I can at least still walk while last year I couldn't at all, and I get the odd day where it's not as bad as others. But it greatly limits my mobility as if I go for a long walk or even do work that requires being on my feet most of the day, I pay for it. I have a feeling the morton syndrome will come back though, it's currently being masked by a cortizone shot I got last year, so that's probably going to wear off sooner or later.
How did you get Morton's neuroma? I thought it was an overuse syndrome. In my case, I was a runner for many years and I've always thought it was all that running. I must have run something like 30-40 thousand miles before a sudden attack of pain my my left foot spelled the end of my running for exercise (I then took up a massive campaign of lap swimming until I couldn't do that anymore either!).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I did a bit of online research on the topic a few weeks ago and it appeared to me that there is not consensus on the relationship of "excess" sodium and HBP. Maybe there's an association for some people and not for others. Studies apparently have not figured this out.
That's my current understanding, some people are susceptible to high blood pressure from salt. I rarely use it myself in cooking, or seasoning prepared meals, I put it on steaks and baked potatoes, occasionally I'll salt roast beef if it needs a little extra oomph. My blood pressure is fine, there are just a lot of other good flavors to enjoy beyond the simplicity of salt.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have HBP and stage 3b renal (kidney) disease. I'm not giving up my salt (my blood labs sodium levels are middle of normal range). It's not going to save me at this point, so I'm not going to deprive myself of enjoying my food the way I want to for the time I'm still here. YOLO.
Yeah, OK, but like I said cutting back on my salt in a long slow campaign (nothing drastic, I had no reasons to do so, just figured it was probably a good idea) had me quite satisfied with lower salt intake than I was previously used to. So much typical American fare tastes too salty to me now.

Reactions: Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have HBP and stage 3b renal (kidney) disease. I'm not giving up my salt (my blood labs sodium levels are middle of normal range). It's not going to save me at this point, so I'm not going to deprive myself of enjoying my food the way I want to for the time I'm still here. YOLO.
both kidneys?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
wear green colored lens?
I don't think that would help me. I can't see green at all. It looks beige or tan or light brown... actually I can't distinguish those particularly, can't say, "yeah, that's beige, that's tan, that's brown." Can NEVER say "that's green." Not once in my life. I like shades that are yellow tinted. Seems to bring the world to life, but I'm still not seeing green. I can make positive identification for red, but the literature says I should not be able to distinguish red from green (given my test results), which I don't understand. I can ID red, never green. Red looks good, but I think not like for people with normal color vision.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, OK, but like I said cutting back on my salt in a long slow campaign (nothing drastic, I had no reasons to do so, just figured it was probably a good idea) had me quite satisfied with lower salt intake than I was previously used to. So much typical American fare tastes too salty to me now.
Yeah, what I left out is that my doctor recently asked me to start limiting my salt, even though it's fine in my labs. Not due to my HBP that I've had for 2 decades, but the kidneys. Even if blood labs look okay, it can still be hard on your kidneys. I was just commenting on how I don't care at this point, it won't change my eating habits, but I don't use excessive salt now IMO.
both kidneys?
Yep, although they can progress at different rates...typically they are both affected for most people unless they had an injury to only one. Mine are both progressing about equally according to imaging done every few years.

It's the 40 years of type I Beeeetus causing it, along with the peripheral neuropathy, retinopathy and glaucoma, etc.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JEDI

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hmm..may have to look into that. Only thing is, I don't like the sardine bones.
Get better sardines, not the big ones, the little cross-packed ones. I think King Oscar "Tiny Tots" IIRC are good, have a yellow label. Haven't had them in years, but used to and they were the best:

Which canned sardines are the healthiest?

A List Of The Healthiest And Best Canned Sardines For You
  • Best Overall- King Oscar Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
  • Crown Prince Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil – Author's Choice.
  • Runner-Up- Season Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Oil.
  • Best Organic- Matiz España Sardines in Olive Oil.

Jul 27, 2020
Red looks good, but I think not like for people with normal color vision.
If seeing RED makes you feel happy and energized, you are seeing what normal people see.

Green is more calming. I do wonder, when you see a green meadow, does it look gray to you or a mixture of different colors?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If seeing RED makes you feel happy and energized, you are seeing what normal people see.

Green is more calming. I do wonder, when you see a green meadow, does it look gray to you or a mixture of different colors?
I didn't say red energizes me or makes me feel happy. It looks to me distinctly red but that does not mean it looks like it does to people with normal color vision. Judging from the literature, i.e. what people say, I have to believe that their red is very definitely not my red.

What does green look like to me? People have asked me that many times, there's just no answer. Not green. Beige, tan, light brown, maybe with some yellow thrown in, something like that is about all I can say.

Jul 27, 2020
What does green look like to me? People have asked me that many times, there's just no answer. Not green. Beige, tan, light brown, maybe with some yellow thrown in, something like that is about all I can say.
Have you seen classic paintings? What if there's a painting that reveals a secret only to people with your condition? Like the Mona Lisa.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You aren't alone in your not being able to describe it, as least not succinctly. I've had two friends who were red-green colorblind and they could not tell me what it looked like, they couldn't relate it to another color.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
How did you get Morton's neuroma? I thought it was an overuse syndrome. In my case, I was a runner for many years and I've always thought it was all that running. I must have run something like 30-40 thousand miles before a sudden attack of pain my my left foot spelled the end of my running for exercise (I then took up a massive campaign of lap swimming until I couldn't do that anymore either!).

It runs in the family, both my mom and dad got it. Went for a super long snow shoeing session last year with a friend and think that triggered it for me. My feet have been pretty much shot since. Right now it's the heal and achilies tendon that's bad. This is not as bad as the morton neuroma though, it mostly hurts when I get up, but if I actually walk a longer distance the pain goes away, it only comes back after when I stop.

What about using a foot massage machine under your desk?
Not sure if that would really do much for the type of pain. But they might do ultrasound. I have a follow up in a few weeks. They adjusted my orthotics, but I don't think orthotics alone are going to fix anything since it's not like I'm in my shoes that often. I'm thinking the ultrasound might help. They also gave me stretches to do, which may possibly be helping, I get good days and bad days. Past few days have been a bit better. I find with this particular issue I kind of have to force myself to walk, it might actually help. When I had the morton thing I couldn't walk at all it just hurt too much. I still worry that will come back though... it's just masked by the cortizone right now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You aren't alone in your not being able to describe it, as least not succinctly. I've had two friends who were red-green colorblind and they could not tell me what it looked like, they couldn't relate it to another color.
Look up colorblindness online and you will find a dizzying, elaborate, complicated mind-boggling assortment of information. One wouldn't expect it to be that complicated, but there are many kinds.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There are different kinds of red-green colorblindness, it's quite clear. I was tested and what they tell me doesn't make sense in terms of my experience. They call me a strong protan, based on my responses to the test. But what they say about what I should be experiencing isn't what I experience. One day I suppose I'll peddle down to EnChroma offices and try on their expensive glasses.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Eat 8 cans of sardines a day. Your vigor and vitality will sky rocket!

You'll be 25 again. :D
I'd be skeptical. I don't respond well to eating fish. I can barely eat 3 ounces of sardines even for health reasons. Mental clarity is a benefit but the act of procreation? Nah.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It runs in the family, both my mom and dad got it. Went for a super long snow shoeing session last year with a friend and think that triggered it for me. My feet have been pretty much shot since. Right now it's the heal and achilies tendon that's bad. This is not as bad as the morton neuroma though, it mostly hurts when I get up, but if I actually walk a longer distance the pain goes away, it only comes back after when I stop.

Not sure if that would really do much for the type of pain. But they might do ultrasound. I have a follow up in a few weeks. They adjusted my orthotics, but I don't think orthotics alone are going to fix anything since it's not like I'm in my shoes that often. I'm thinking the ultrasound might help. They also gave me stretches to do, which may possibly be helping, I get good days and bad days. Past few days have been a bit better. I find with this particular issue I kind of have to force myself to walk, it might actually help. When I had the morton thing I couldn't walk at all it just hurt too much. I still worry that will come back though... it's just masked by the cortizone right now.
Look up Stretch-EZ at Amazon. Also, Plantar Fasciitis night splints. I bought a few of those almost 10 years ago when the problem was pretty bad. I'm not sure they did much for me. Basic stretching and time did help.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Life's too short. Why not make it ASAP?
Well, tomorrow (Weds.) I have my radio show. Early Thursday I'll do my biweekly shopping trip and get supplies that will enable me to better deal with the atmospheric river that's going to slam into us Thursday and Friday. So, maybe next week...

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski