I am feeling old

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am feeling kinda old these days. I should grow a lawn so I can yell at people to stay off it. Also I should yell at clouds.

I grew up with the original Doom. Classic Doom for DOS and Windows 95. (Still a great game today, and with so many variations/mods/TCs) These days all kids have is Fortnite and Roblox.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Good news! :D

8675309.jpg

You not only FEEL old.... you ARE old! :p ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I made a joke a couple months back about Office Space and only like half my team got the joke. I realized it was the older half so I was in the group with the 50+ year old guys while a buncha damn kids (who I hired) had never seen the movie. Hell several had never even heard of it. And we work in IT!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I made a joke a couple months back about Office Space and only like half my team got the joke. I realized it was the older half so I was in the group with the 50+ year old guys while a buncha damn kids (who I hired) had never seen the movie. Hell several had never even heard of it. And we work in IT!
That's just sad IMO.

And yeah. I feel old almost every day. I haven't hit fifty yet, but stacked chronic health issues make me feel like I'm going on 102 sometimes. You know... @olds age! lol

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have to say that although I'm now 59 and admittedly am in somewhat worse health than I was at 49, I'm in substantially BETTER health than I was at 56-57 because I started listening to my doctor.

So, my best advice to you youngin's (lol) is stay on top of your health especially your blood-sugar and your cardiac-fitness even if you've never been told there's a problem.

Jul 27, 2020
So the most important question: who gets your gaming hardware if any of you guys suddenly clock out?

Sorry if I depressed anyone with that question but we must face the reality of our situation sooner or later and take the appropriate measures. I personally would prefer that someone deserving gets my gaming hardware but I don't really have a circle of gaming friends. Seems whoever will get it will be most undeserving of it, at least in my case.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, that is a good question. I should make a will and put my sister and some friends in it. Just in case of a freak accident or something.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I had a living will written up after my close friend was murdered in 2009. The little bit of belongings that I own are assigned to go to 3 different friends, depending on the items. I checked it over and made some slight revisions in 2019, and if I'm still here in 2029, I might do so again.

It also includes instructions of DNR, DNI, etc. I won't leave medical decisions on my behalf to another person. I wanted those instructions made clear, in a legally binding document.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hmm, that is a good question. I should make a will and put my sister and some friends in it. Just in case of a freak accident or something.

Shall I PM my PayPal? ;)

Seriously though (it won't last don't worry!) my younger daughter is for the moment the sole beneficiary of what little I do have. I made sure I had a valid, notarized will (including a living will) taken care of during peak-pandemic in case of the worst.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Shall I PM my PayPal? ;)

Seriously though (it won't last don't worry!) my younger daughter is for the moment the sole beneficiary of what little I do have. I made sure I had a valid, notarized will (including a living will) taken care of during peak-pandemic in case of the worst.

Wills still need to go through probate and hence they are easy money for the judiciary and legal professionals who process estates. The author of Nolo's guide to wills, trusts, etx is a lawyer who calls out this fact.

If you have a harmonious relationship with someone you trust, establishing a legal trust can bypass probate.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, I've read that cursive isn't being taught in many schools/districts anymore. I recall discussing whether it mattered or not in another thread here...based on how much handwriting is used anymore. A signature is it for most people.

I learned calligraphy when I was in grade school, and always had good handwriting. These days (due to issues with hands, and being out-of-practice), it's hard to even write a note to someone in cursive and have good 'flow' in the lettering.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, I've read that cursive isn't being taught in many schools/districts anymore. I recall discussing whether it mattered or not in another thread here...based on how much handwriting is used anymore. A signature is it for most people.

I learned calligraphy when I was in grade school, and always had good handwriting. These days (due to issues with hands, and being out-of-practice), it's hard to even write a note to someone in cursive and have good 'flow' in the lettering.
I asked my daughter to write out a shopping list as I went through some recipes and shouted out what I needed. She did that and handed it to me as I headed out of the door to the supermarket.
Got there and it was all in cursive and I didn't have my reading glasses! Would not recommend.
She's 11.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I asked my daughter to write out a shopping list as I went through some recipes and shouted out what I needed. She did that and handed it to me as I headed out of the door to the supermarket.
Got there and it was all in cursive and I didn't have my reading glasses! Would not recommend.
She's 11.
The good news is she is probably capable of texting it to you as well :p

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am feeling kinda old these days. I should grow a lawn so I can yell at people to stay off it. Also I should yell at clouds.

I grew up with the original Doom. Classic Doom for DOS and Windows 95. (Still a great game today, and with so many variations/mods/TCs) These days all kids have is Fortnite and Roblox.
I still play and host my own UnrealTournament99 server. I will be adding 10 more maps so there will be nearly 80 maps available.

Jul 27, 2020
I still play and host my own UnrealTournament99 server. I will be adding 10 more maps so there will be nearly 80 maps available.
Can you please share the details of the server, in case I or someone else here wants to explore those 80 maps (and maybe frag you a few times too)? :p

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
She's 11.
I had to scan through 20k pages of handwritten county records to find this record. Comparatively, this recorder has good penmanship.
1677851944964.png

This one not so good.
1677852049361.png

1677852513903.png

The worst were loop-de-loop writing where one has to stare at the page until the subtle differences in the loops reveal written language. Did I mention 20k pages?

Last edited: