I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Okay I gotta admit shin ramen and BBQ pulled pork sounds brilliant.
It's good. You should try it next time you make pulled pork. I didn't pull the second pork shoulder and left it whole in the fridge until this morning. Since the pork was cold I was able to slice it like ham instead of having it fall apart on me. You should save small chunk of meat and cool it in the fridge so you can slice it instead of pulling it.

Anything special to drying wood out for smoking? I have a shit ton of peach, mango, lychee, and other fruit wood that I'd like to experiment with rather than just hauling to the curb when I prune the trees back.
It's my first time drying wood so I'm complete novice. I read you just cut the wood into sizes you want for smoking and dry it for 3 to 6 months. I also read you don't need to dry oak and can use immediately. I'm going to use some next time I smoke some chicken quarters as a test. Chicken quarters are cheap so if it tastes bad, I won't feel bad about tossing it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the royal oak lump charcoal at home depot is also on sale tbrougb June I think. It's excellent.

I bought one of those last year, opened it up, and it was a giant bag of teeny tiny fractured bits of lump and some random canvas and paper tie strings inside the bag. I know things can happen to lump in shipping, and not all bags are created equal, but that really turned me off of Royal Oak.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I bought one of those last year, opened it up, and it was a giant bag of teeny tiny fractured bits of lump and some random canvas and paper tie strings inside the bag. I know things can happen to lump in shipping, and not all bags are created equal, but that really turned me off of Royal Oak.

Odd. I've gone through 20 bags or so and never had an issue.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Anything special to drying wood out for smoking? I have a shit ton of peach, mango, lychee, and other fruit wood that I'd like to experiment with rather than just hauling to the curb when I prune the trees back.

Just cut it and let it sit outside for a year.

Reactions: OutHouse

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
check out my 16 pound brisket i smoked for my sons high school grad party last saturday. 18 hours on the pit until it finally hit 202 degrees. hands down the best brisket i have ever done.

but that 18 hours really put the bug in me to get a pellet smoker. been looking at the RecTechs hard.

Reactions: ponyo

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i wrap mine during the stall then just let it ride until the temp is reached.

Hey Ponyo,

How big was packer? I've never wrapped until almost done. Like to get a full smoke and afraid of messing up bark.

Those pics are fantastic. Also what was grate temp?

Here's the one I did last week
fyK0llr.jpg

bO7rDGi.jpg

RDEKkJL.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
check out my 16 pound brisket i smoked for my sons high school grad party last saturday. 18 hours on the pit until it finally hit 202 degrees. hands down the best brisket i have ever done.

but that 18 hours really put the bug in me to get a pellet smoker. been looking at the RecTechs hard.

Looks nice and juicy. But I'm curious what type of cooker you used and at what temperature? 18 hours is awfully long time to cook 16 lb brisket.

I've been looking at Rec Tec RT-680 and Yoder YS640 pellet grills. I like the Rec Tec because it's cheaper and Georgia company with factory outlet location in Augusta, GA. Plus I think the bullhorn lid handles are cool. But Yoders are made in the USA and what everybody recommends. Costco also has the Louisiana Grills Champion pellet grill for $1,200 online and $1,000 instore. Costco usually discounts grills if it doesn't sell so I'm keeping an eye on it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cant wait.

I would never wait that long again, but it's worth doing once. Meanwhile, I'm going to plan ahead on my next visit to Austin and try to order pick-up in advance (last time I checked, pick-ups are usually sold out 3 or more months in advance. :eek:)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I would never wait that long again, but it's worth doing once. Meanwhile, I'm going to plan ahead on my next visit to Austin and try to order pick-up in advance (last time I checked, pick-ups are usually sold out 3 or more months in advance. :eek:)

thanks for the protip.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Balls

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Looks nice and juicy. But I'm curious what type of cooker you used and at what temperature? 18 hours is awfully long time to cook 16 lb brisket.

I've been looking at Rec Tec RT-680 and Yoder YS640 pellet grills. I like the Rec Tec because it's cheaper and Georgia company with factory outlet location in Augusta, GA. Plus I think the bullhorn lid handles are cool. But Yoders are made in the USA and what everybody recommends. Costco also has the Louisiana Grills Champion pellet grill for $1,200 online and $1,000 instore. Costco usually discounts grills if it doesn't sell so I'm keeping an eye on it.

i kept it just about 200 -215. it was a struggle due to the steady cold rain

Don't laugh. ive had it for 17 years and rusted to shit but still works fine.

master:CG056.jpg

Last edited:

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
18 hours is awfully long time to cook 16 lb brisket.

Ain't nobody got time for that. I've been doing brisket/pulled pork around 6 hours cook time on relatively high heat (300 - 350), wrapping the meat at the right temp. The results are probably 90 - 95% as good as low and slow, without the headache of planning the cook out. Was not a fan of cooking either before as it was impossible to accurately tell my wife when dinner would be ready... IT'S READY WHEN IT'S READY!!! Now, I can fire up the smoker mid-morning and know within an hour when dinner will be served.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ain't nobody got time for that. I've been doing brisket/pulled pork around 6 hours cook time on relatively high heat (300 - 350), wrapping the meat at the right temp. The results are probably 90 - 95% as good as low and slow, without the headache of planning the cook out. Was not a fan of cooking either before as it was impossible to accurately tell my wife when dinner would be ready... IT'S READY WHEN IT'S READY!!! Now, I can fire up the smoker mid-morning and know within an hour when dinner will be served.
It's nice to have options. Having cooked hot and fast with the extended smoking rack on WSM, I'm a believer high heat can produce great BBQ. There's more than one way to skin a cat. The more I cook and experiment, the more I'm questioning the traditional methods. For example, I no longer believe in rubbing and seasoning the meat the night before. I season everything right before I smoke while waiting for the smoker to come up to temp. And I'm starting to believe simple salt and pepper is the best and nothing else is really needed. And for grilling steaks and meats at high temperature, I think it's best to cook the meat raw and wait until the end of the cook to season rather than before the cook.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I bought the Weber Gourmet BBQ system hinged cooking grate for my 22.5" Weber kettle and I have to say I'm super impressed. The metal is about twice as thick and heavy as the regular hinged grate so it should last much longer. It just feels like quality. The cool thing is it has removeable center in addition to two end hinges. This allows you to add cast iron center sear grate and bunch of other accessories. I'm not interested in the sear grate but the cast iron griddle would be nice. I plan to use this grate when I'm cooking Vortex wings. Removing the center grate when using Vortex should greatly extend the life of the grate. The Weber Gourmet BBQ system hinged grate was only $35 vs $23 for the regular hinged grate. The Gourmet grate is well worth the $12 extra just on metal thickness alone. The cool removeable center is gravy.
grill-parts-8835.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-8835-G...d=1496191768&sr=8-6&keywords=weber+grate+22.5

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I hear ya. Pellet smokers seem like cheating, but it makes it SO much easier not having to regulate heat and live around a thermometer for an entire day.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
i kept it just about 200 -215. it was a struggle due to the steady cold rain

Don't laugh. ive had it for 17 years and rusted to shit but still works fine.

master:CG056.jpg
Ain't laughing...I OWN ONE TOO :D

It's my main pit. The built quality is decent, has cast iron racks, and lots of venting and mod options. It's a great grill!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I hear ya. Pellet smokers seem like cheating, but it makes it SO much easier not having to regulate heat and live around a thermometer for an entire day.

yea the set it and forget it is pretty appealing. the Rec Techs have two features that really interest me. 1, a 40 pound hopper so you can run it all night and not run out of smoke, and 2. a heavy smoke button. I really like a good deep smoke in my meats.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm happy with WSM and kamados. I want pellet and offset to play around with.

I just finished eating korean bbq for lunch. I used my Lodge Sportsman and grilled some slices of top sirloins cap. The beef was cooked naked with no seasoning added. It was great. I might do it again for dinner since I have another 3 pounds in the fridge.
3B7mean.jpg

sSaiPyQ.jpg

byPKkgw.jpg

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'd like to get a kamado like grill but need to find a good deal like, $199 or so. I'm cheap and since I only use it once or twice a week in the summertime from may through September, it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You can get Acorn for under $300. https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS
Lot of people seem to like it. I like kamado because it can do high heat grill and low and slow smoke equally well. But ceramic kamado is pricey and if you're just looking for dedicated smoker, I would consider WSM and PBC over kamado.

I just picked up pork picnic and small prime packer. I couldn't resist $0.99 /lb for pork picnic. I bought the prime packer because they were out of choice packer. I wanted choice since that's $2.69 /lb. Prime packer price increased to $3.39 /lb so I wasn't that interested. But since I drove an hour to the business Costco, I felt obligated to buy something. So I bought small 10 pounder. I'm thinking about buying meat slicer to slice the brisket point super thin to make chadolbaegi (korean bbq brisket).
zOHTQ3z.jpg