I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Nice shapes. Almost looks like boneless chicken leg lollipop. Did you make the Jake Daniel glaze?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Today I smoked 7lb Choice top sirloin cap off. I used hickory wood and smoked it at around 250 degrees for little less than 2 hours. I pulled it off the grill when the meat temperature read 132 degrees. I wrapped in foil and let it rest around 45 minutes before slicing it thin. Made couple beef sandwiches for dinner. I saved some sliced meat to eat this week and vacuum sealed the rest. I also saved the au jus separately. This is so easy to make and so good that you can't eat grocery store roast beef after you try this. The hickory smoke adds such nice flavor to the beef.

faHqPwo.jpg
Cgv03ju.jpg
KhQElPW.jpg
euSVNtC.jpg
pRnKRtL.jpg
M857P2N.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Fucking fail. Came back after 8 hours to 130' smoker and 110' meat.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
brisket is always an adventure. it's my least favorite to cook because you never really know whether it will be great or shoe leather.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I already fired it back up. 225. Almost time to wrap.

DA472314-0BBB-4379-A424-344930D27720_zpswjjyeff6.jpg

err... not sure I'd do that. you don't know how long it was sitting at 130 degrees. that's potentially a problem with beef sitting at low temp that long and not reaching 140. bacteria potential.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I believe the traditional knowledge says 40 degrees to 140 degrees in 4 hours or less.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had some really good brisket yesterday in Manhattan. It's the only thing I ate yesterday.

This evening I took a nice dump. It was the stinkiest dump I've take in as long as I can remember.

I'm gonna repeat the experiment sometime in the next few weeks. Go to the same restaurant and chow down on some BBQ and see what the next day brings in the good ole porcelain bowl.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
well that was complete and utter fail. my fire died through the night, again. I pulled it off after some 22 hours; needless to say, it's no bueno. I did chip off a corner this morning and the bark is good but I can already tell the rest is leather.

What do you think guys, just slam it into a 300' oven in foil for a couple hours and pray? It's already in the fridge. It's too seasoned for me to chop it up for the dogs...

i'm 25% ready to just call this a $30 lesson.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Don't worry. I think most of us fail on our first brisket. My first brisket attempt was smoking the flat. The meat turned out pretty dry because it was the flat and I didn't foil. It was a learning experience. I did lot better when I used whole packer cut and foiled. Now I'm confident I can smoke a good/great brisket regardless if it's flat or packer.

I would try foiling and cooking that brisket in the oven til hits 195 or so since it's Prime brisket. I cooked the packer brisket to around 206 or so because it was USDA Select so it needed the extra temp. But you'll know it's ready because the temp probe will slide in like butter and the meat will jiggle like jello.

Now I'm not responsible if you die from food poisoning. But I view smoking sort of like meat curing so I would risk it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
that was my thought as well...like beef jerky-lite.

you're both right: it will be totally fine to eat. With brisket, you salt and peppered the shit out of it and let it "cure" for at least a day prior to smoking, right? salt, pepper, and smoke: These techniques were only ever developed as a method to preserve meats for long periods of time when there was limited or no access to refrigeration. It was not invented by hipsters as an accessory to their mustaches and fixie bikes.

It is totally safe.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
I'll probably take a lot of flack for this but I have yet to cook a bad brisket using the high heat method on my WSM. Supermarkets here in So Cal (like Stater Bros.) usually only have select cuts of brisket. There is just not enough fat (marbling) in these cuts for a long slow smoke. High heat is where it's at with these. The best part is I can have a whole packer smoked in about 4 hours.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'll probably take a lot of flack for this but I have yet to cook a bad brisket using the high heat method on my WSM. Supermarkets here in So Cal (like Stater Bros.) usually only have select cuts of brisket. There is just not enough fat (marbling) in these cuts for a long slow smoke. High heat is where it's at with these. The best part is I can have a whole packer smoked in about 4 hours.

You should probably be dragged into a shallow pit somewhere....

nah, j/k. I have taken to sous vide my brisket (but usually chuck, lol) for 3 days then tossing it on the smoker to finish. :D

It's basically flawless.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

I cook both brisket and pork butt using the high heat method with a foil wrap once they hit the right temperature. It may not be quite as good as low and slow (debatable), but the results are consistently good and you can predict when dinner will be done. It's MUCH more enjoyable to start a brisket mid-morning and have it for dinner than it is to start a brisket middle of the night for a 14 hour cook.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
you're both right: it will be totally fine to eat. With brisket, you salt and peppered the shit out of it and let it "cure" for at least a day prior to smoking, right? salt, pepper, and smoke: These techniques were only ever developed as a method to preserve meats for long periods of time when there was limited or no access to refrigeration. It was not invented by hipsters as an accessory to their mustaches and fixie bikes.

yeah, sat in it's salt/pepper/etc dry rub for 2 nights. Fuck it, I'm going to tell the wife to rewrap it in foil then throw it in the oven @275, I'll take the temp when I get home and see where it's at (after I pick up something else for dinner).

It seems that pre-trim you would need to decide how you are doing the brisket - TX, OK, or no-style? I think one of my many failures this go-round was watching TX-bbq people trim their brisket (ie Franklin) when what I really want to end up with is KC style burnt ends.

Then again, I suppose before I worry about TX vs KC I should figure out how to keep my fire going at night.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

People cook with high heat. I think lot of the BBQ competition guys cook using high heat mainly due to the time constraints. As for lower quality cut of meat not being able to take long slow smoke, I think cooking it at lower temp for longer period actually helps with USDA Select. It's the higher quality meat like USDA Prime that might not benefit as much with slow cooking. Here's Myron Mixon talking about how he cooks the Snake Rivers Wagyu packer in about 4-5 hours. Of course Snake Rivers probably pays him to promote their overpriced meat. Fast forward to about 9:44 mark to where he talks about how long he cooks the brisket.

Reactions: OutHouse

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tonight was Korean BBQ night. Costco had boneless pork loin in cryovac for $1.79 /lb with another $2.50 off a package. Really great deal. So we sliced it thin and marinated in kalbi sauce for two days. Fired up the Joe Jr. with lump charcoal and grilled direct at high. It was awesome. Grilled pork wrapped in perilla leaves with dab of red pepper chili sauce is divine. I don't know why but perilla leaves and pork just works. And grilling on lump charcoal makes all meat taste better.

nGBg0DX.jpg

Reactions: Ns1