I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I tried two interesting experiments this weekend. One was mixing smoking with pressure cooking, and the other was smoking with sous vide.

For the former, the victim was a 2-3lb pork shoulder. After 3-4hr smoking at higher than usual 275degF (lowish humidity since it was on a largish gas grill with some gap in the back I didn't plug up) it was pressure cooked for 40min, and then roasted for 10 min to harden the bark again. Great results with much more succulent than typical texture. I did an injection on the meat beforehand so without that it should come out somewhat more succulent.

For sous vide, ribs were sous vide for 4hr @ 72degC then smoked for 2hr at 275. Again also still moist on the inside with traditional bark on the outside.

All in all more hassle than blasting with fire at the very end, but produces an outer crust. I'm pretty sure if I didn't bother with the grill/smoker the oven would produce similar results with liquid smoke added to the injection/seasoning/baste, and pink-salt for the "ring" if need be.

Next time I'm probably going to try a simple sous-vide-like smoker setup with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP8DYFK, plus this: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Indoor-Outdoor-Kettle/dp/B007ZKUVPC, plus an electric hob between them to complete the feedback circuit. The only other thing needed for feature completeness is some kind of humidity control, which I'll experiment with a wetted piece of something over the therm tip to take wet-bulb temps. Basically experimentally determine with normal dry temp first about how much to set the hob, then add a pan of water and the wet-bulb is used during actual cooking to modulate that setting.

Reactions: TeeJay1952

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Probably lost a few arm hairs on this one.

20170223_161130.jpg

20170223_162416.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I tried two interesting experiments this weekend. One was mixing smoking with pressure cooking, and the other was smoking with sous vide.

For the former, the victim was a 2-3lb pork shoulder. After 3-4hr smoking at higher than usual 275degF (lowish humidity since it was on a largish gas grill with some gap in the back I didn't plug up) it was pressure cooked for 40min, and then roasted for 10 min to harden the bark again. Great results with much more succulent than typical texture. I did an injection on the meat beforehand so without that it should come out somewhat more succulent.

For sous vide, ribs were sous vide for 4hr @ 72degC then smoked for 2hr at 275. Again also still moist on the inside with traditional bark on the outside.

All in all more hassle than blasting with fire at the very end, but produces an outer crust. I'm pretty sure if I didn't bother with the grill/smoker the oven would produce similar results with liquid smoke added to the injection/seasoning/baste, and pink-salt for the "ring" if need be.

Next time I'm probably going to try a simple sous-vide-like smoker setup with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP8DYFK, plus this: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Indoor-Outdoor-Kettle/dp/B007ZKUVPC, plus an electric hob between them to complete the feedback circuit. The only other thing needed for feature completeness is some kind of humidity control, which I'll experiment with a wetted piece of something over the therm tip to take wet-bulb temps. Basically experimentally determine with normal dry temp first about how much to set the hob, then add a pan of water and the wet-bulb is used during actual cooking to modulate that setting.

A little-known but well-reviewed appliance you may want to look at is the $60 Oster electric roaster-smoker:

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTROSMK18-Smoker-Roaster-16-Quart/dp/B00AZBKTS2/

I'm curious to see how it'd compare to my pellet grill, especially for the price.

Reactions: agent00f

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Probably lost a few arm hairs on this one.

20170223_161130.jpg

20170223_162416.jpg

That happened to me when I was cooking like 20 burgers. Kamado with lump charcoal can get really hot and I was too slow flipping all 20 patties. It's good thing I don't have much arm hairs. Now I close the bottom air vent while I'm basting or flipping lot of food.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That happened to me when I was cooking like 20 burgers. Kamado with lump charcoal can get really hot and I was too slow flipping all 20 patties. It's good thing I don't have much arm hairs. Now I close the bottom air vent while I'm basting or flipping lot of food.

I had a mini-explosion when I first started using my Namath (gas salamander wannabe); flooded the interior with gas before it finally lit (the built-in lighter is awful) & took off half my arm hair from the fireball. Didn't get burned skin fortunately, but the smell of burnt hair was just awful. Couldn't get it out of my nose for days.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tonight's menu: Grilled red snapper. Added olive oil, fresh rosemary, onions, lime, garlic salt, and pepper. Added one small chunk of apple wood to the lump charcoal and grilled/smoked the snapper at around 400 degrees for 14 minutes per side for total cook time of 28 minutes. Ate it with soy, horseradish, and mustard dipping sauce. So good.

t6KnLfg.jpg
ngLrlGH.jpg
eevxRk1.jpg
vpUpvN0.jpg
VOHXzy0.jpg

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Tonight's menu: Grilled red snapper. Added olive oil, fresh rosemary, onions, lime, garlic salt, and pepper. Added one small chunk of apple wood to the lump charcoal and grilled/smoked the snapper at around 400 degrees for 14 minutes per side for total cook time of 28 minutes. Ate it with soy, horseradish, and mustard dipping sauce. So good.

Thanks for the dinner suggestion!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Anyone smoked crab or crab legs before? I just saw this video and now I'm craving some smoked crab legs. I've never tried and now I'm curious. I want to buy a box of king crab legs instead of snow crab legs and try it. But I'm wondering how much basting and seasoning flavor can seep inside the shell of king crab legs. Those suckers have thick shells. I know smoke can penetrate.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
kept it simple and made a spatchcock (butterflied) chicken last night. oddly, I found it cooked slower on the kamado than the WSM.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I had to throw it on and leave for 8 hours. I'm hoping for the best. Gonna wrap it as soon as I get home.

F9DE1C84-075D-45C2-985B-6EB0D0D2078D_zps5n2b36eb.jpg

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
making jack and coke chicken thighs on the kamado joe today (recipe from malcolm reed looks delicious)