i accidentaly ate dill pickles from 2004, will i die?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
The 1922 discovery by Howard Carter and George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon[5][6] of Tutankhamun's nearly intact tomb received worldwide press coverage. It sparked a renewed public interest in ancient Egypt, for which Tutankhamun's burial mask remains the popular symbol. Exhibits of artifacts from his tomb have toured the world. Aside from the royal treasures, a small cache of foodstuffs was found, including an earthenware vessel containing various pickled vegetables, which Carter immediately ingested, and found them to be not only safe to eat, but quite tasty, as well.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The bacteria may enter the body through wounds, or they may live in improperly canned or preserved food. Symptoms usually appear 8 - 36 hours

High acid, can't live in pickled food. Pickled food are fine for decades if not forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
The 1922 discovery by Howard Carter and George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon[5][6] of Tutankhamun's nearly intact tomb received worldwide press coverage. It sparked a renewed public interest in ancient Egypt, for which Tutankhamun's burial mask remains the popular symbol. Exhibits of artifacts from his tomb have toured the world. Aside from the royal treasures, a small cache of foodstuffs was found, including an earthenware vessel containing various pickled vegetables, which Carter immediately ingested, and found them to be not only safe to eat, but quite tasty, as well.

ok, so 7 years doesnt seem as bad as 4000 years.

thats messed up

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had some truffle infused cheddar today that "expired" in 2016. Scraped the bloom off the outside, and it was fine. Never had it before to compare, but 4yr old cheese was acceptable.

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I had some truffle infused cheddar today that "expired" in 2016. Scraped the bloom off the outside, and it was fine. Never had it before to compare, but 4yr old cheese was acceptable.

the older the cheese, the better!

i routinely buy 9-10 year old cheddar

so sharp it'll cut your tongue

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Newest edition of the Old Cheese Chronicles© is some Provolone that "expired" in 2014. Tastes fine. Pretty bold, but it may have been like that to begin with. It was 12months aged from the factory, and I've never had Provolone aged like that before.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Sure 8 year old pickles sounds old but how about 120 year old Beef and Cocoa.

Or Civil War era hardtack

• Wow
Reactions: lxskllr

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Sure 8 year old pickles sounds old but how about 120 year old Beef and Cocoa.

Or Civil War era hardtack

I knew that was going to be Steve1989 without even clicking on them. That dude is crazy!

Let's get that out on a tray... nice! :)

Reactions: Paratus

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
I DIDNT REALIZE THEY WAS THAT OLD! tasted like crap but i figured what the hey, so i made it through a couple pickles before i went and looked at the jar. HOLY WOW! it tasted so weird, i dont know why i didnt do something on the first bite...

atot, am i a goner?
Ask Trump! He think he knows everything. Maybe he can offer you a solution or a remedy to keep you alive. If you expire - Do you think it was worth being here? <--- Only answer this while you're here and alive.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I accidently drank from someone elses cup yesterday.

Will i get the RO-niski?