Hurricanes 2007:10-29 Strange season - Busy season south of Islands keeps big storms away from U.S.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Yep, they (forecasters) blew it again. Likely to be most inactive season in 30 years.

Dave, what say you?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
Yep, they (forecasters) blew it again. Likely to be most inactive season in 30 years.

Dave, what say you?

I just read this also...you beat me to it ;)

I'm sure he has "sources" that he cant reveal, and we should "just wait and watch the news".

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: Pabster

Dave, what say you?

I just read this also...you beat me to it ;)

I'm sure he has "sources" that he cant reveal, and we should "just wait and watch the news".

The only thing blown was the wind.

Extremely high amount of easterlies kept the storms down.

Good thing we don't need the trade winds any longer would've been a very bad year for sailors.

Here is a good article on the happenings south of us.

In fact the Carribean has a new storm now:

10-28-2007 Hurricane season above normal, meteorologists say

African dust, a pressure barrier along the Southeast and low sheer in the atmosphere are some of the reasons why Florida and the rest of the United States have been mostly safe from hurricane disaster this year.
But the hurricane season itself has actually been more active than normal, according to meteorologists.

?The numbers have actually been there with the averages,? said AccuWeather.com senior meteorologist Bob Smerbeck. ?Actually, they?ve even been a little above average.?

While there have been no history-making storms ravaging Florida, the Gulf Coast or Mid-Atlantic this year, there has been plenty of cyclone activity along the Yucatan Peninsula, as well as other portions of Central America and the Caribbean.

For the most part, hurricanes need three vital ingredients ? a flare-up of thunderstorms in the Atlantic, a low wind shear in the upper atmosphere and a warm ocean.

The ocean is always warm during the summer, but the other two are not as reliable

10-28-2007 Tropical Storm Noel threatens Haiti

The storm, which had top sustained winds of 50 miles per hour, was moving slowly toward Haiti's southwestern peninsula and was then expected to head toward southeastern Cuba, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.

While the storm's track was highly uncertain, the center forecast it was likely to make a sharp turn to the northeast near the end of the week and head out over the Bahamas into the Atlantic rather than into the Gulf of Mexico, where critical oil and gas facilities are located.

It was also unclear whether the storm would have an opportunity to strengthen into a hurricane with winds of at least 74 mph because that would depend on whether it stayed over warm water or spent more time over land.