Hurricane Ian

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Funny story - we can always use a few during tough times:

My son is in N Virginia but has a buddy in the Tampa area and was checking on him yesterday. Got a text reply saying "We must be screwed, Just looked out the window and a weather guy is broadcasting from the street in front of my house."

We've said for years you know you're in trouble weatherwise when you see Jim Cantore get off a plane in your town.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My sister reports that in Orlando, conditions have deteriorated to "breezy".
My sister reports no power outage, no flooding, and minimal damage in her neighborhood. Yesterday, we had one little storm cell pass over our neighborhood (Tucson) and knock out power for twenty minutes. :p There was no wind so I suspect someone drove into a pole in the rain. As you might expect, my sister is giving me crap.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

My son is in N Virginia but has a buddy in the Tampa area and was checking on him yesterday. Got a text reply saying "We must be screwed, Just looked out the window and a weather guy is broadcasting from the street in front of my house."

We've said for years you know you're in trouble weatherwise when you see Jim Cantore get off a plane in your town.
Jim got hit by a tree branch yesterday -

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
My parents lost power (Lake County), thankfully they have solar panels with a batttery backup (Tesla Powerwall). They should be good for the rest of the day to keep their refrigerator and well powered. Hopefully it will clear up enough they can start generating enough power to not need the batteries. they have a gas generator if needed.

No flooding (around their house), just some minor wind damage.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
On the tv news it was reported that the Lee County (Ft Myers, Sanibel Island) sheriff has said there are hundreds dead there. I certainly hope that is an error. :(
Good Lord! I really hope that's something that was just said in the midst of panic and not a genuine count.
I come from a country that, while obsessed with the weather, doesn't really get any real problematic weather. It's shocking to see what 'a bit of wind and rain' can do.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Looking at the helicopter video shots from local news I really hope most people listened and got the heck out of there!

Fort Myers Beach:

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Good Lord! I really hope that's something that was just said in the midst of panic and not a genuine count.
I come from a country that, while obsessed with the weather, doesn't really get any real problematic weather. It's shocking to see what 'a bit of wind and rain' can do.
Count yourself lucky you didn't grow up in tornado country. I probably have legitimate PTSD from that shit. Had a funnel cloud open up over me as a kid, and since then I basically accepted that any given rainstorm could drop a finger of death on your head.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reading a lot of stories of people who stayed because they didn't think it would be bad. The loss of life, while not record breaking, is likely be considerable.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Reading a lot of stories of people who stayed because they didn't think it would be bad. The loss of life, while not record breaking, is likely be considerable.

I read a story of some CEO who told her employees to work through Ian as it was mostly media hype. She did back off of it but that's crazy. FAKE NEWS!

• Wow
Reactions: Number1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Problem is that a LOT of the time it IS media-hype with weather .... snow-storms in particular around here.

ksheets

Aug 11, 2000
Just checking in to let everyone know I'm alive! That was one hell of a storm but I made it through with plenty of propane still left for the generator ;)

The roads are decently cleared ( I work for a hospital and was able to make it in this morning), but there is a LOT of damage, it's going to take quite a while to recover from this one for sure. The area about 10 miles south of me has power again, so I'm hopeful I'll be back up and running within the next few days.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
how fucking hard is to leaving political shit out of a non-political thread....there is a cess pool for that crap so we don't we to deal with it here...
But we do need to deal with it, because it is as real as hurricane Ian, or a POTUS throwing paper towels at hurricane victims. Not to mention the hypocrisy of people like DeSantis that voted against aid for victims of hurricane Sandy when he was in congress, to accepting it for his state.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Cantore about got taken out this time.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
But we do need to deal with it, because it is as real as hurricane Ian, or a POTUS throwing paper towels at hurricane victims. Not to mention the hypocrisy of people like DeSantis that voted against aid for victims of hurricane Sandy when he was in congress, to accepting it for his state.

give us a break already....rational people can have discussions without having to bring up politics. go spew your bullshit in P N where it belongs. if you don't think politicians on both sides are hypocrites, I don't know what else to tell you.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
give us a break already....rational people can have discussions without having to bring up politics. go spew your bullshit in P N where it belongs. if you don't think politicians on both sides are hypocrites, I don't know what else to tell you.
It's amazing even if muse points the clearly obvious out, the first response is denial of reality by both sidesing it. Instead of just saying, yeah it sucks and he's terrible but keep it out of here, which would be understandable, instead they both sides it and thus contribute to the decline of this country.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think the completely valid point was that we have a proper arena for political discussion and THIS AIN'T IT.

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, I needed a rainstorm to check an attic leak and well, there is enough to start the process of informing a neighbor to fix her rental property’s roof. Neighbor is standoffish feet dragger though…so a demand letter may only be the start.
Now Ian can just stop crying from the sky.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante