HTC EVO V 4G hot, hot, hot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Huh?

I pretty much decided the $49 HTC One V phone I got was the last. Putting up with the people in the XDA forum for this phone made me appreciate the forums for the other devices I have ROMed and rooted. On top of that HTC was and is becoming significantly worse for people who want to have full control over their HTC device.

The phone was a great deal, the torture I endured trying to make heads or tails out of that particular forum was not.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1551

you asked them what the best rom was? that is against their religion. its well known and posted warnings about it in the stickies.

those people all develop. they dont compete. they just want great development for their devices, so they never dare say what is better then what.

look for black jelly rom. it is just awesome on this phone- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2116723

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
Picked one up today at my local Shack. Those people really try hard to get you to activate the phone on the spot, I had to forcefully say that I was not ready yet. They must earn a commission or spiff on activations. :rolleyes:

fredlove

Banned
Feb 15, 2013
The HTC one V is a different phone that was built to be a budget phone. The HTC EVO 4G was built to be sprints top phone(EVO 3D).

This phone is a bargain, 3D didn't go over well, all the phone manufactures dropped the idea and these phones were moved over to Virgin mobile.
I have heard of. But still well worth looking forward. Thanks.

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
The HTC one V is a different phone that was built to be a budget phone. The HTC EVO 4G was built to be sprints top phone(EVO 3D).
Yes, but the guy I was quoting was talking about the One V, and Since HTC globally sent cease and desist orders to all the sites that had RUUs that has become their attitude to the rooting and ROMing public, not just the "One V" ROMers.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Yes, but the guy I was quoting was talking about the One V, and Since HTC globally sent cease and desist orders to all the sites that had RUUs that has become their attitude to the rooting and ROMing public, not just the "One V" ROMers.

fact is, the htcdev site is still up. its easy to unlock the bootloader. do a root, install teamwin recovery, install jellybean rom and done. its not hard to do, and it makes the phone flying fast. its not a motorola!

the reason they got this phone to $50 is the screen. the glass on it is VERY scratchable. if you dont get a screen guard on it, you will get scratches just from putting it in your pocket. but a $6 screen guard solves that problem.

still, of course if i had to chose, the evo 4g is a much better phone. but for $50, the v is awesome too.

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
its not hard to do
Compared to the LG phones and several tablets I've owned it's a complete PITA. This is a well known fact about HTC phones among the ROMing and Rooting crowd. Also, bricking by hitting VOLUP instead of VOLDN was the fun and games for several months there. (See my link previously in this thread)

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm on the $25 per month Beyond Talk plan with my Motorola Triumph. Would VM make me switch to the $35 a month plan if I got the EVO? Tried to find info on their website.

The only reason I'm considering switching is because my Triumph is starting to have issues with the micro usb charging port.

Yes, VM will make you switch to $35 plan. You can probably clone Triumph to Evo 3D to remain on $25 plan, but one, that won't get you WiMax if that's one of your goals, and two, the process is kind of complicated.

sequoia464

Feb 12, 2003
fact is, the htcdev site is still up. its easy to unlock the bootloader. do a root, install teamwin recovery, install jellybean rom and done. its not hard to do, and it makes the phone flying fast.

Managed to unlock my V, the two root guides that I found didn't work for me. Do you have a favored site that you recommend?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks; some of the guides that I have seen aren't written very clearly for a noob

Most of them are not noob friendly. Well, they are if u have basic linux skills. I didnt until I started flashing android phones. Plus, some of the guides don't work with the new roms that carriers put out... So if it's a really old guide then might not work anyway.