Htc 10

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I was hoping the G5 would rank higher. I'll probably stay with LG because I've come to need the doubletap to turn the screen on and off. No more having to hit the power button, just double tap, screen on, double tap, screen off. It might not sound like much, but once you use it, you can't go back. Everything else sucks.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I was hoping the G5 would rank higher. I'll probably stay with LG because I've come to need the doubletap to turn the screen on and off. No more having to hit the power button, just double tap, screen on, double tap, screen off. It might not sound like much, but once you use it, you can't go back. Everything else sucks.

HTC stole that from LG years ago. I think this phone has Tap to Wake, my M8 did.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

I think its just me but I hate that feature. I disabled that on my LGV10.

Graze

Nov 27, 2012
Weren't the Nokia Windows Phones the first to have it? Although who knows, they probably got the feature from somewhere else, as well.

Not at all! The Nokia N9 Which ran MeeGo as the OS did this before the company was infiltrated by Microsoft.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Not at all! The Nokia N9 Which ran MeeGo as the OS did this before the company was infiltrated by Microsoft.

Yep, I had double-tap to wake on my Nokia N9 from many moons ago. Meego was a great OS...too bad Nokia screwed up badly with that one.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
LOL what? The S7/S7E got the last monthly security update before Nexuses.

In fact, the security updates are still being pushed to all promised devices. This unfortunately mitigates the need to push OS point updates, but the security issue isn't really on the table any more.

I think you misread that. He was specifically talking not about the monthly security patches, but the OS (numbered) updates.

tuan209

May 9, 2004
The HTC 10 isnt exciting but it is probably the most well rounded Android phone right now. The only knock on it for me is that it is not waterproof or very water resistant like the S7.

Its a solid phone with stockish OS, good camera, decent speakers, and great build quality.

To be honest, there are no sexy or stand out phones any longer. The only thing that sets apart the s7 apart to me is the quick focusing of the camera. If you are not a big photography or video person, I would much rather use the HTC as a daily phone.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have the 6p currently and I thought HTC was done for. Looks like they may have redeemed themselves. Seems like a good phone but I am waiting to see what Google comes up with next.

I hear HTC will also make the next nexus device? If so I will wait and it will be between the new Nexus or the m10.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure why reviewers are dumping on it for lacking innovation. First Android with front facing camera OIS, first Android to support Apple Airplay, 24-bit audio and personalized sound profiles.

Seems like anything that's not a galaxy or iPhone gets extra scrutiny these days.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
It says it wants to push for them, but it doesn't think that guaranteed monthly updates are realistic given the control that carriers have over most Android phones.

Certainly the carriers will be a problem for any OEM trying to pushing regular updates, however I think their answer is a bit disingenuous.

OEMs need to start providing these updates and then put them in the carrier's hands. The pressure on the carriers to get their acts together would be enormous if major OEMs started putting out monthly updates that weren't getting to their users because the carriers weren't releasing them. Especially if these updates were largely security fixes.

Instead we have have OEMs using the excuse that carriers are the problem to reduce their costs. The carriers are just a convenient scapegoat.

-KeithP

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Certainly the carriers will be a problem for any OEM trying to pushing regular updates, however I think their answer is a bit disingenuous.

OEMs need to start providing these updates and then put them in the carrier's hands. The pressure on the carriers to get their acts together would be enormous if major OEMs started putting out monthly updates that weren't getting to their users because the carriers weren't releasing them. Especially if these updates were largely security fixes.

Instead we have have OEMs using the excuse that carriers are the problem to reduce their costs. The carriers are just a convenient scapegoat.

-KeithP
That's the only thing I didn't like when I owned HTC devices. They say it takes about 3 months to get updates because it's carrier based. So all my HTC devices were always rooted so I could jump on the latest updates with the roms. One of the main reasons I love the nexus devices.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

-KeithP

Not sure why nobody read my post above, but my HTC unlocked phone does get monthly security updates regularly, and also one numbered update early on (6.0.0 to 6.0.1) within three weeks of its release. I don't know how other OEMs do it, but HTC has been releasing the updates monthly and putting them in the carriers hands, just like you said. They weren't making excuses.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
That's the only thing I didn't like when I owned HTC devices. They say it takes about 3 months to get updates because it's carrier based. So all my HTC devices were always rooted so I could jump on the latest updates with the roms. One of the main reasons I love the nexus devices.

You are actually arguing against his point. He said OEMs couldn't blame the carriers for slow update if they are slow with the updates in general. Your story proves that HTC did come out with updates early, which is why those custom ROMs are out there long before the carrier's version of the updates come out. (I am assuming here that the custom ROMs you had was the stock-variant instead of AOSP-based).

Nexus will always be the champion of fast update, but the other conclusion you should have taken from your experience is to not get the carrier version of the phone you want if you're concerned at all about updates, but instead the unlocked version, which will get updates a lot faster. I made the mistake of buying an AT&T version of my M7 as well, and it was almost immediately got rooted so I could install custom ROMs, and then later on switched to the GPE version and after that all updates come from Google. But now with the A9 I bought the unlocked version and for the first time in almost six years of owning an Android phone I didn't root my phone, because I realized I didn't need it anymore, and part of it is that updates come reasonably fast and I have no need to install a custom ROM to get fast updates. Bonus point is that there are no carrier junk apps installed. The OS is clean right from the get go.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You are actually arguing against his point. He said OEMs couldn't blame the carriers for slow update if they are slow with the updates in general. Your story proves that HTC did come out with updates early, which is why those custom ROMs are out there long before the carrier's version of the updates come out.

Nexus will always be the champion of fast update, but the other conclusion you should have taken from your experience is to not get the carrier version of the phone you want, but instead the unlocked version, which will get updates a lot faster. I made the mistake of buying an AT&T version of my M7 as well, and it was almost immediately got rooted so I could install custom ROMs, and then later on switched to the GPE version and after that all updates come from Google. But now with the A9 I bought the unlocked version and for the first time in almost six years of owning an Android phone I didn't root my phone, because I realized I didn't need it anymore, and part of it is that updates come reasonably fast and I have no need to install a custom ROM to get fast updates.
Now I will always buy unlocked. I used to be under a contract with Verizon and had to get carrier specific but now I've switched to metro/T-Mobile and its odd that I have better coverage with unlimited data still.

If anything once Google announces their next flagship I'll be buying unlocked regardless.

And you are right about custom roms. Since I've gotten my 6p I didn't even feel the need to root or unlock my bootloader. Running completely stock.

My dev buddies did come out with elite kernel for the 6p and integrated it with pure nexus for it which ended up giving him amazing sot and battery life but I think I'm pretty much done with rooting and unlocking unless there is a feature I really need.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Sorry, I've had it enabled on my 6P for so long that I've forgotten it was a hidden feature. Basically one of the kernel developers noticed that it was present in the 6P but disabled. You can only re-enable it if you have root.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sorry, I've had it enabled on my 6P for so long that I've forgotten it was a hidden feature. Basically one of the kernel developers noticed that it was present in the 6P but disabled. You can only re-enable it if you have root.

Yup, you can enable it with a customer kernel but that's it. Honestly I see more harm than good with it enabled for me, as I've nearly made emergency calls in my pocket with it enabled. It wakes the screen up pretty easily when moving around from what I see, and if I have the screen facing my leg in the pocket it'll input commands.

Annoying enough that I'll probably turn it back off.