Htc 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
You know what would be ideal? The Qualcomm ultrasonic finger print reader that doesn't require a specific target pad.

Agreed.

This... actually looks like a desirable and competent phone from HTC. Even if HTC is making the Nexus 5 this year based on this phone, I might consider the normal version if Sense is really as near-stock as advertised so I can get the better camera software.

If this is the basis for the Nexus the 2016 Nexus will be amazing by Nexus standards. I thought the deal was HTC was doing the new Nexus 7.

At these screen sizes is 1440p really needed? How much MORE battery life would you be able to get with 1080p instead of going QHD. I think 5.5" is the defining line IMO where 1440p should be used.

Higher PPI is nice for VR.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Not a huge fan of the looks, but a 5.2" in that frame is perfect. My One A9 has 5" screen and exact same height. The 10 is a little bit wider and a little bit thicker, but yet has 900 mAh more battery :eek:

This seems like a fantastic phone, although $700 is pretty steep. With an offer for $100 off for preordering from HTC, if I can sell my A9 and M7 and get ~$500, then maybe the $100 I need to scrounge from the piggybank will be worth it? I don't know...

If only this was IP68 though (double bonus if it has 1080p screen), I'll probably hit the preorder button faster than anyone can say 'HTC is dead' and then I'll just skip lunch for a month. I need to lose some pounds after all.

Anyway, the big news just coming out is that AT&T officially won't be carrying this phone. I don't think AT&T ever announced that it's *not* carrying any flagship. It simply just doesn't announce anything if it won't be carrying something. But this time they go out of their way to make the world knows that this won't be available from AT&T and whoever wanted to use it on their network (which will be compatible, obviously) will have to buy directly from HTC. Not sure what's going on here.

Ok, correction, AT&T didn't announce it, it's HTC that did. But still

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I really liked my last HTC phone -- the DNA. Sense is a lot better than touchwiz imo.. my current Galaxy S5 has been getting slower and slower and is still not on 6.0.

Considering upgrading to an S7 with the current bogo promotions but I don't know... Samsung really annoyed me with the S5. Its a great phone hardware wise but the software just blows.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I really liked my last HTC phone -- the DNA. Sense is a lot better than touchwiz imo.. my current Galaxy S5 has been getting slower and slower and is still not on 6.0.

Considering upgrading to an S7 with the current bogo promotions but I don't know... Samsung really annoyed me with the S5. Its a great phone hardware wise but the software just blows.

The S7 is a great phone, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Software-wise, if you mean Touchwiz, it is also much better now. If you mean Android update, this generation of phone is going to be better than from two years ago, but in general Samsung is noticeably slower than HTC in terms of updating their flagships to the latest Android update.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
It looks like my prayers have been answered: a flagship phone with an unlockable bootloader!

From the pre-order site:
http://www.htc.com/us/go/buy-htc-10/

that pre-order version is a unlocked "generic" version for att/tmobile/gsm, no verizon/sprint (too bad)

dunno about wifi calling/volte

lg g5 is supposed to have a unlocked "generic" version for att/tmobile/gsm, not much details about wifi calling/volte/bootloader unlocking (release date ~May1)

(just something useful to keep track of in May, if people want bootloader-unlockable phones)

Last edited:

Starjack

Apr 10, 2016
Higher PPI is nice for VR.

I agree but at the cost of power consumption of the device especially running at that pixel density or 1440p resolution. Although i don't know if the HTC 10's battery is enough to sustained that task for a longer time. I guess we'll have to find out when they do the review of the device. First time i heard that they use that type of resolution on a android phone, i would of thought is a kind of resolution for a tablet.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I agree but at the cost of power consumption of the device especially running at that pixel density or 1440p resolution. Although i don't know if the HTC 10's battery is enough to sustained that task for a longer time. I guess we'll have to find out when they do the review of the device. First time i heard that they use that type of resolution on a android phone, i would of thought is a kind of resolution for a tablet.

You're kidding, right? Galaxy S7 has it, Nexus 6p, LG even had two flagships already with that resolution.

Starjack

Apr 10, 2016
You're kidding, right? Galaxy S7 has it, Nexus 6p, LG even had two flagships already with that resolution.

No i didn't know that but i'm new on this site :D Even though i knew about the S7 was using a high resolution, just i didn't get much details about it. But if that's the case then i guess the HTC 10 was built to compete with those other devices you listed.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
Not a huge fan of the looks, but a 5.2" in that frame is perfect. My One A9 has 5" screen and exact same height. The 10 is a little bit wider and a little bit thicker, but yet has 900 mAh more battery :eek:

This seems like a fantastic phone, although $700 is pretty steep. With an offer for $100 off for preordering from HTC, if I can sell my A9 and M7 and get ~$500, then maybe the $100 I need to scrounge from the piggybank will be worth it? I don't know...

If only this was IP68 though (double bonus if it has 1080p screen), I'll probably hit the preorder button faster than anyone can say 'HTC is dead' and then I'll just skip lunch for a month. I need to lose some pounds after all.

Anyway, the big news just coming out is that AT&T officially won't be carrying this phone. I don't think AT&T ever announced that it's *not* carrying any flagship. It simply just doesn't announce anything if it won't be carrying something. But this time they go out of their way to make the world knows that this won't be available from AT&T and whoever wanted to use it on their network (which will be compatible, obviously) will have to buy directly from HTC. Not sure what's going on here.

Ok, correction, AT&T didn't announce it, it's HTC that did. But still

What $100 off? The only thing I see is 12 months 0% financing.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
What $100 off? The only thing I see is 12 months 0% financing.

It was sent to my email, probably because I bought the One A9. It does say 'exclusive pre-order opportunity just for you', but the code looks somewhat generic so it may get sent to everyone on HTC's mailing list.

Edit: as I suspected, not a unique code. It's all over Slickdeals now

http://slickdeals.net/f/8659990-100-off-the-htc-10-when-you-preorder-on-htc-com?src=pdw

https://www.htc.com/us/go/buy-htc-10/#unlocked

Use code HTC1008 or HTC1009 for $100 off. Will be taxed, if applicable

$699 - $100 = $599 + tax for a high-end smartphone with 1-year of Uh-Oh protection (1 replacement for a broken phone the first year of ownership)

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm glad I kept my expectations low because I'm pleasantly surprised by the 10 reveal.

I just got an email from LG that they are sending me my 5X back after they repaired it (LCD died) so after I sell it I may look at getting the 10, though I've been pretty happy with my ZTE Axon in the interim (has sort of an HTC vibe to it, though no unlocked bootloader :().

Might get the 10 because of Snapdragon 820, unlockable bootloader, high quality audio, and Sense (Sense > *). It's personally getting harder and harder to justify paying the premium price for flagships, though... I may wait to see full reviews to make sure there aren't any issues with fit and finish or other random problems.

Last edited:

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
This could very well be a "final" type phone though where nothing in the future is that much better for at least a couple years. My 6P would be such a phone if not for the SD810.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No.

I have a Nexus 6P and I love pulling it out of my pocket and unlocking it at the same time but it's sitting on my desk right now and I've already mastered typing in my PIN almost as fast as fingerprint unlock because it's also a very common usage mode.

I use Smart Location Lock but it flakes out often enough that I often wish for a front fingerprint reader.

surprised you can't use smart unlock based upon a wifi network

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
surprised you can't use smart unlock based upon a wifi network
I think it's supposed to but it's flakey at best.

I could probably use a Tasker profile to do it explicitly but there was an early bug with Marshmallow that made Tasker use a lot more battery power on idle and I haven't gotten around to reinstalling it since (especially since there's built in quiet modes now).

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
looks like a good phone, but I mean, they're just putting together the motherboard which connects the snapdragon chip to the camera to the storage to the screen etc.

1440p is overkill. That's higher rez than my 24" monitor. I really think that phones should only have 720p. Makes them snappier too.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
looks like a good phone, but I mean, they're just putting together the motherboard which connects the snapdragon chip to the camera to the storage to the screen etc.

1440p is overkill. That's higher rez than my 24" monitor. I really think that phones should only have 720p. Makes them snappier too.

The you must be blind. 720p is horrible.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

Which is why I always think the look of the phone is the most important to me. If I don't think it's pretty, it's not under my consideration. Everything else is just hardware spec. Oh yes, I'm that guy :D

I understand that a lot of people are complaining about the high-res screen but as I mentioned above, pretty much all of flagship devices from this year (and some from last year) already have 1440p screen. Can you imagine how HTC is even going to get more complaints for putting out a flagship that has less spec than anyone else? Personally I'd rather this phone has 1080p myself but I think they made the right decision here by choosing to get the spec up there and back it up with a big battery. We'll see if it works out for them.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
The you must be blind. 720p is horrible.

I actually have a phone with a 540p screen. It is noticeable, but it is fast enough.

It is just a phone. It's a lot better than the phone I had in 2006.

But I've used a Moto X and an HTC One M7. and the iPhone. The screens were sharp enough. I have an android tablet with like a 2560x1600 screen and that is definitely overkill and it negatively impacts the performance.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013

Yeah and how is that different from the Samsung Galaxy S7 or LG G5? It's components put together...

Are you using an old phone? There's no problems with pushing 1440p on modern flagships. The only thing that 1440p does is drain more battery compared to 1080p. All these modern flagships have pretty much all day battery. Hell my 6P has the less efficient SD810, a bigger display, and only 450 mAH bigger battery, yet it lasts about 1.5-2 days for me. 720p would be terrible, I can't imagine going back to 2011 technology. For me, 1080p is the absolute minimum I'd be willing to settle on any display.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This could very well be a "final" type phone though where nothing in the future is that much better for at least a couple years. My 6P would be such a phone if not for the SD810.

That is a nice idea but only a Nexus gets three years of updates in Androidland.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
That is a nice idea but only a Nexus gets three years of updates in Androidland.

It's unlockable unlike the GS7 (and doesn't lack fastboot commands like the G5). Under warranty to boot.

That should extract another year for AOSP ROMs and if this really is the template for the Nexus 5 this year, then the roms will be solid. So 2 years relatively fast support and maybe another one.

One can hope. If it comes as a non-compromise Nexus, I certainly will jump on it.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I'm surprised that they didn't use AMOLED screen, when cheaper A9 has it... I bet when these two are placed next to each other, A9 looks richer, but 10 looks brighter.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
My 2nd hand impression from YouTube videos is that the Sense looks quite agile unlike Touchwiz. The 10's screen looks quite vivid for an LCD even from 45°+ angles, so that has to be a major plus.

I am less impressed by the design. Sloped/thick chamfers + round back looks like an ergonomic disaster, and (mis)alignment of home button is, even if it was passable for a mid-range A9, inexcusable for a flagship phone.

Camera and speakers are unknown quality at the moment but the hardware seems to be there, which is a good sign.