Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So the HTC 10 is official.

At least from initial impressions, it looks like HTC did what we thought it had forgotten how to do: make a great all-around smartphone. There's a fingerprint reader in the right place, BoomSound is intact (if not true stereo), there's microSD if you need it, the camera is likely good... heck, there's even AirPlay support, which is something no other phone maker outside of Apple can claim right now.

So long as it holds up in full reviews, I'd be tempted to recommend the HTC 10 over the regular Galaxy S7. It's a quality phone without Samsung's usual software cruft and epic-length delays for Android updates. That and, frankly, I'm tired of Android in the western hemisphere basically amounting to "there's Samsung, and then there's everyone else."

SharpHawk

Jan 6, 2012
It looks like my prayers have been answered: a flagship phone with an unlockable bootloader!

From the pre-order site:
http://www.htc.com/us/go/buy-htc-10/

When you buy the HTC 10 from HTC.com, you get more value and a greater level of freedom with a special SIM unlocked edition that comes with unique benefits.

[...]

Your HTC warranty even covers bootloader unlocking on the HTC 10!
For more bootloader unlocking info, visit www.htcdev.com

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I had the M7 and preferred Sense UI to any other company's UI, including stock Android. It was very snappy and didn't crash like Touchwiz does on my Tab S.

Graze

Nov 27, 2012
HTC is perfecting the art of making boring phones it seems.
There is nothing here that interests me in this phone. So far its only the S7 edge that would have me looking at anything non Nexus.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Looks like a return to competence for HTC which is what they needed. I can't see anyone being unhappy with this phone.

However it's a crowded space at the top however and there isn't any single 'wow' factor in this phone like the S7 Edge or ecosystem benefits (mobile VR, iOS). But I doubt they need huge volumes to stabilize their financials considering their current revenue.

One thing does bug me - the physical home button not being vertically centered in the bottom bezel. Is it just me?

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Still wish it would have a bigger battery, how has no one learned that bigger battery is what we want.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks like a return to competence for HTC which is what they needed. I can't see anyone being unhappy with this phone.

However it's a crowded space at the top however and there isn't any single 'wow' factor in this phone like the S7 Edge or ecosystem benefits (mobile VR, iOS). But I doubt they need huge volumes to stabilize their financials considering their current revenue.

One thing does bug me - the physical home button not being vertically centered in the bottom bezel. Is it just me?

In many ways, this is what Samsung is doing with the S7: it's not a radical reinvention, but it nails so many necessary improvements (without introducing new flaws) that there aren't many complaints left. In a sense, that's all HTC really needed to do... put the bad memories of the M9 and A9 behind it and give people a reason to buy an HTC phone again. It doesn't need tens of millions of sales to turn a corner.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
people still read Engadget?

Anyway, unlockable bootloader is a step in the right direction.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
In a sense, that's all HTC really needed to do... put the bad memories of the M9 and A9 behind it and give people a reason to buy an HTC phone again.

I want to see a really detailed review of the camera before I am comfy saying that. That is where HTC keeps failing, even though I have hope they got it right this time.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I want to see a really detailed review of the camera before I am comfy saying that. That is where HTC keeps failing, even though I have hope they got it right this time.

The DxOMark score is promising, at least. I think HTC finally realized that its knee-jerk approach to camera choices (swinging toward very low-res or very high-res) wasn't working, and that it just needed a good camera, full stop.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
This... actually looks like a desirable and competent phone from HTC. Even if HTC is making the Nexus 5 this year based on this phone, I might consider the normal version if Sense is really as near-stock as advertised so I can get the better camera software.

I still wish they'd design their phones to lay flat though so that tapping on it while on a desk doesn't tip it sideways. Definitely very pleased that it's a USB C port, makes it far more enticing for me since I've started to invest in the USB C with my 6P.

As usual, the proof is in the pudding. Actual reviews of actual units will be the clincher.

The DxOMark score is promising, at least. I think HTC finally realized that its knee-jerk approach to camera choices (swinging toward very low-res or very high-res) wasn't working, and that it just needed a good camera, full stop.
This. I've criticized HTC since the M7 because of this (the M7, despite all the hullaboo, overall had a poorer camera than the GS4 which already didn't have the best non-iPhone camera of that year)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So the HTC 10 is official.

At least from initial impressions, it looks like HTC did what we thought it had forgotten how to do: make a great all-around smartphone. There's a fingerprint reader in the right place, BoomSound is intact (if not true stereo), there's microSD if you need it, the camera is likely good... heck, there's even AirPlay support, which is something no other phone maker outside of Apple can claim right now.

So long as it holds up in full reviews, I'd be tempted to recommend the HTC 10 over the regular Galaxy S7. It's a quality phone without Samsung's usual software cruft and epic-length delays for Android updates. That and, frankly, I'm tired of Android in the western hemisphere basically amounting to "there's Samsung, and then there's everyone else."

Is that the fingerprint scanner on the bottom bezel? If so, poor design choice IMO. I never used my Note 4's fingerprint scanner because it was located in the same place, and as soon as you put a case on it the lip of the case interfered with putting your finger cleanly over the scanner. It didn't work right so I never used it. Putting on the back w/ like the Nexus 6p was the best design choice I never knew I wanted until I had it, and that's where it belongs AFAIC. Obviously this is personal preference, but not everybody likes it where HTC put it.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Is that the fingerprint scanner on the bottom bezel? If so, poor design choice IMO. I never used my Note 4's fingerprint scanner because it was located in the same place, and as soon as you put a case on it the lip of the case interfered with putting your finger cleanly over the scanner. It didn't work right so I never used it. Putting on the back w/ like the Nexus 6p was the best design choice I never knew I wanted until I had it, and that's where it belongs AFAIC. Obviously this is personal preference, but not everybody likes it where HTC put it.

While true (I own the 6P), the majority of phones have it in the front so the real important criteria is speed. If it's at least as fast as the iPhone and GS7's reader, then HTC already has an advantage in that they have a screen-off reader.

I never realized how nice that is until I tried unlocking on an iPhone 6S. Having to push the button (and then wait because it's slower and has unlock animations) seemed so archaic compared to the 6P.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
Majority of cars have battery in the front too, but that does not make it a better location.

It is an awkward place for a finger print scanner for sure. I like 6P and 5X location of finger print scanner.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Majority of cars have battery in the front too, but that does not make it a better location.

It is an awkward place for a finger print scanner for sure. I like 6P and 5X location of finger print scanner.

Of course, but it means it's not so much a flaw but merely suboptimal.

Who knows though, if HTC is doing the Nexus perhaps it'll go to the back. I definitely like the sensor on the back of my 6P.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I prefer a fingerprint reader on the front. Simple reason: you can unlock your phone without having to grab it off a desk/out of your pocket first. That doesn't mean that the back position is necessarily worse, just that moving to the front has its advantages.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
You prefer the finger print reader on the front because Tim Cook says so.

No.

I have a Nexus 6P and I love pulling it out of my pocket and unlocking it at the same time but it's sitting on my desk right now and I've already mastered typing in my PIN almost as fast as fingerprint unlock because it's also a very common usage mode.

I use Smart Location Lock but it flakes out often enough that I often wish for a front fingerprint reader.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
While true (I own the 6P), the majority of phones have it in the front so the real important criteria is speed. If it's at least as fast as the iPhone and GS7's reader, then HTC already has an advantage in that they have a screen-off reader.

I never realized how nice that is until I tried unlocking on an iPhone 6S. Having to push the button (and then wait because it's slower and has unlock animations) seemed so archaic compared to the 6P.

Honestly on the front isn't bad, they just have to not put it so close to the bottom of the bezel. But it looks like HTC put it even further than halfway, so it'll be right up against any case that's on it.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
You know what would be ideal? The Qualcomm ultrasonic finger print reader that doesn't require a specific target pad.

Now your entire screen is a fingerprint reader and you can have the best of both worlds.

I bet Apple is going to do that for the iPhone 7 and I'll actually agree with them when they claim it's magical because it would be.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
You prefer the finger print reader on the front because Tim Cook says so.

That's not really fair. I think most people will prefer whatever they get used to but objectively assuming the speed and quality of the readers are similar, there are pros and cons to both placements.

That being said, I think it's a trivial difference - either way you'll adjust.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Pretty disappointed. It's best feature was the dual front facing stereo speakers and they took that away. OIS for the camera and on BOTH front and rear cameras is exciting. SDcard expandable is good. Those are about the only good things on this device.

Feb 19, 2001
At these screen sizes is 1440p really needed? How much MORE battery life would you be able to get with 1080p instead of going QHD. I think 5.5" is the defining line IMO where 1440p should be used.