Hp Spectre X360 - usb drive detection on start using the bios secure boot option

Kayote

Dec 4, 2004
Hi,

I bought a second hand HP Spectre X360 13" (2016 model), I installed Windows 10 on the system a few months ago using the 'legacy mode', however, now I wanted to reinstall using the 'secure boot' option on & 'legacy mode' off. For complete picture's sake, I will also be installing Ubuntu/ Mint OS on the system after the Windows 10 installation.

However, when I disable 'legacy mode' & enable 'secure boot', inspite of the usb boot option given a higher preference over hdd boot, the system refuses to boot the usb & I get the error: "No HDD found" upon booting up with the above settings.

When I prompt boot options, the system only presents one option 'efi file boot' and I am unable to boot from the USB. Please see these screens for the boot options & the message I get when I prompt for boot options.

How can I install Windows 10 using 'secure boot' option enabled & 'legacy mode' disabled?

Thank you

EDIT:
I also wanted to ask, whats the benefit of 'secure' boot other than hardware security?

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_153251.jpg
    IMG_20190506_153251.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190506_153313.jpg
    IMG_20190506_153313.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The install options for windows 10 require compatibility between UEFI or Legacy ( "CSM" ) bios modes and between MBR or GPT partition schemes. If a disk boots under "legacy", the disk likely uses the MBR style. The alternative is to boot under UEFI but that requires the disk to be partitioned using GPT . I suspect that you will not boot that disk without legacy support unless it is GPT partitioned .Converting a disk from one to the other will normally delete data in the process.
Windows post ver 1703 ? has a tool to convert the partition without data loss .
See here:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/mbr2gpt-tool-windows-10.

Since you are trying to reinstall, data loss is not likely an issue and you can convert the partition scheme as part of the process. Here are the steps I use to install this OS which might get you up and running. Partitioning in GPT is mentioned.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Kayote

Dec 4, 2004
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I haven't had a chance to implement the instructions, however, wanted to say a big thank you for the effort & guidance. Best,