How would a mandatory US military draft go down?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
How about a limited draft: children and grandchildren of conscription age of Congressmen are automatically drafted into the Army at times of war.

Sending someone else's kids to die is a tough decision. Sending your own makes it likely that there will be a lot more thought given to it. "Well, my friends at Haliburton will get richer, but my own son might die as a result. Hmmm."
Knowing polticians, quite a few of them would prefer their own political career, and the wealth and power that comes with it, than the lives of their offspring

They are indeed the lowest of the low

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The lazy destitute would have to fight while the Job Creators and their children would be safe and able to find a way out for the sake of more Job Creation. Pretty win-win if you ask me.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't see it happening.

I'm having trouble envisioning circumstances that would merit a large force of ground based troops. I think they'd just be blown to h3ll rather quickly.

I think future 'wars' will be fought much differently: economic and cyber warfare and not a bunch of grunts running around with rifles.

Fern

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I didn't get drafted, because when I was classified 1-A (low hanging fruit) in 1964 I said fuck this, I don't like jungles or being shot at, so I joined the Navy.

Slept in a bed (rack) every single night. Ate 3, sometimes 4 hot cooked meals a day, did some damn interesting things (worked on nuclear weapons), saw a whole lot of interesting things (flight operations on a carrier) and a whole lot the world.

Going to war in Vietnam had absolutely nothing to do with protecting this country, and our way of life, but the fact that draftee's were going is what brought that cluster fuck to an end.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I enlisted in the Marines voluntarily during the hostage crisis in 1979 or so, the Argo thing.

I do not see a draft coming back in the near future, seems they have actually been getting pickier about who is even in these days.

I seriously doubt there would be another.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
there will never be a draft again cuz if there was, the population would then scrutinize stupid wars like afghanistan/iraq/syria, and immediately reject the policy and the gov doesnt want that. nobody gives a crap if some dumb volunteers want to go to a foreign country and murder people by choice, even if they think its wrong, but the minute you pull people out of college who dont want to do that schitt there would be a massive uprising from the populace against war and the gov. the gov doesnt want that, why would they deal with that if they could do it with volunteers and get no opposition vs. using a draft and likely having the population totally oppose/shut down the war

the us gov can get away with getting massive numbers of people killing/maiming/ptsd-ed by saying "well they volunteered and they knew what they were getting into", but they cant use that excuse if they drafted peepul who clearly dont want to involved in stupid schit war.

It's actually painful to even attempt to read through all your tripe. Take night classes or something for the love of God. Also your avatar is......

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
There havn't been anything except proxy wars since nukes were invented.

Kind of scary really how the world would have handled something like Hitler and the $%^&'ed in the head ideology of Germany at the time without a war.

In the past if someone like NK went full retard and imprisoned their citizens and full government totalitarian control of their people another, more free county (and thus economically and militarily stronger country) would get sick of their shit and go to war, collapsing them.

Kind of a creative destruction. Survival of the most fit societies type of thing. Everything is basically trending toward human suffering on a massive scale right now in a couple of hotspots. Its too late in the fossil fuel game for there to be so much conflict.

I guess its like instead of war to topple horribly messed up societies we have to wait until they run out of resources.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A draft wouldn't work anymore. Conscription isn't viable. With how are wars are fought, the amount of training required to ramp up our force in time of need is unfeasible. The way out military currently works is just fine: we have an active force for things that require maintenance or constant training and a reserve force to augment those that only require basic training and maintaining that level of certification. We don't just need bodies for the trenches anymore.

No party will support a draft, because the idea is stupid in itself.
Spoken like somebody who is terrified of being drafted....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
i'd imagine i would run. my attitude would be that i dont owe the country anything. it's just a lump of dirt that issues me a passport. nothing more. if i was forced abroad i'd rather shoot an officer from my own country than some poor guy defending his home from an invasion that i am now part of.

if that means my country loses the war so be it.
another one scared shitless of being drafted....sad!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
How about a limited draft: children and grandchildren of conscription age of Congressmen are automatically drafted into the Army at times of war.

Sending someone else's kids to die is a tough decision. Sending your own makes it likely that there will be a lot more thought given to it. "Well, my friends at Haliburton will get richer, but my own son might die as a result. Hmmm."

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
i'd imagine i would run. my attitude would be that i dont owe the country anything. it's just a lump of dirt that issues me a passport. nothing more. if i was forced abroad i'd rather shoot an officer from my own country than some poor guy defending his home from an invasion that i am now part of.

if that means my country loses the war so be it.

ezackly, i care about my immediate family, but i dont care about the rest of the country any more than i do anyone else on the planet. why the heck shood u risk ruining your own life or murdering other people for the benefit of the us gov or corporations. i yaxe me, people that do that are bad people

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
As a leftie, I wasn't threating a draft or foreseeing a draft, I just wondered how it would go down considering today's detachment from personal involvement with war.
I'd fully expect Americans and our allies would rely on technology.
Those dreaded drones.
That love-hate relationship.

Then you have John Mccain.
I know exactly how John thinks.
No doubt john does feel that today's American kids are too soft.
They need a good war.
No doubt John is of that old school where boots on the ground is the only way to go.
And no doubt john would love to flex some American might come every opportunity.
Besides, john did it and what's good for old john should be good for the rest of us?
Right?

I don't know how a draft would go down.
I guess it depends on the threat involved.
If our way of life were actually threatened, I'd suspect Americans could and would meet the challenge. Even if that meant drafting American sons and daughters.
Americans have never experienced air raid sirens or running in terror from constant threat.
Not on an ongoing daily basis within our borders.
And not from aggressive external forces.

911 was the one real encounter we experienced as a nation.
Imagine that threat on a daily basis?
Not planes flying into buildings, rather missiles falling from the sky.
God forbid that day when terrorist gain that technology.
Launching across oceans into our borders...

Under extreme circumstances, we would accept a draft.

But the mistake is in believing this could never happen, or that electing the wrong president wouldn't allow it to happen regardless of political party, and with believing technology would be our answer.

Anywho, Thanks for playing... :D
You're entered in the weekly contest for a date with Obama.
Cause everyone knows he swings both ways .... ;)

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
those wars arent the american peoples wars. have you done anything to make someone want to fly a plane into your house? i havent. the best way to prevent "terrorism" is to have a gov that doesnt do things that make people do a 9/11

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There is a reason why that WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones .. a world wide conflict would go nuclear so-friggin-fast its not funny - that "drafting" on that scale will never become an issue.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
another one scared shitless of being drafted....sad!

of course i am. i dont want to kill someone. let those who want to fight go willingly. if that means there's not enough people to fight then maybe that says something about your country.

put it this way JY, if my country drafts me (aka, takes away my liberty, freedom etc etc) then they're the bad guys and they're the ones i would want to shoot and kill.

i owe the british gov nothing. i get less from my gov than i put in. why would i possibly want to fight for them? who in their right mind would give up their life to murder innocent people in another country?

shit like that has happened already and interference has just caused hate. the US gov more than any other in modern times. 9/11 is retaliation for the US murder of innocents abroad and in spite of how much fuss americans made of it is nothing in comparison to the lives that americans have taken. how many people died in 911? 3-4000? big whoop. how many civillians died during the last decade in Iraq/Afghanistan?

stop breeding hate and you'll find less of it directed back at you :colbert:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
put it this way JY, if my country drafts me (aka, takes away my liberty, freedom etc etc) then they're the bad guys and they're the ones i would want to shoot and kill.

i owe the british gov nothing. i get less from my gov than i put in. why would i possibly want to fight for them? who in their right mind would give up their life to murder innocent people in another country?

shit like that has happened already and interference has just caused hate. the US gov more than any other in modern times. 9/11 is retaliation for the US murder of innocents abroad and in spite of how much fuss americans made of it is nothing in comparison to the lives that americans have taken. how many people died in 911? 3-4000? big whoop. how many civillians died during the last decade in Iraq/Afghanistan?

stop breeding hate and you'll find less of it directed back at you :colbert:

That is just sad.
If you can fight then you are born with the responsibility to fight for those who cannot fight for them selves.
And you are not FREE as in "I'm free and can do whatever just cause whatever" .. there are rules. These rules are governed by politics, and here is the kicker, war is a direct extension of politics, the very same politics that has given and still gives you freedom of speech(or whatever it is in uk), freedom to be the free man you are today, even to voice crap like this.
It is the direct consequence of politics (and hence war) that you have the choices you have today and you say you want no part of it? You dont like your freedom? Not ready to fight for it? Put down the blunt man, that is some hippie shit.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
what part of "fighting for those who can't fight for themselves" was applied on murdering innocents in the middle east? when the US overthrew a democratic Iran?

does fighting for someone who can't include those beaten and thrown into vietnam by the US gov?

your views are just sad. you say i have the freedom to be who i want until the state decides i have no freedom and must surrender my life for their goals of getting more oil?

you say war is an extension of politics? yes, and politics are never about doing the rights thing. it's to further an agenda. i would not lay my life down to further a rich mans agenda. fuck that.

as for "hippy shit", you sound like someone who was around in the 50s/60s who still sees pinkos and hippys everywhere.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
There will never be a draft again. The government is more than capable of convincing the public that their wars are just, thus plenty of people will voluntarily join to support them.

No one in the military wants draftees.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Spoken like somebody who is terrified of being drafted....

Ha! Yeah, I'm afraid of being drafted, yet I volunteered and served in the military. In fact, I am still on inactive reserve, so in the event of a real war, I'd be called back to duty and would save all you kiddies from getting drafted.

The draft won't work. Taking in mass bodies doesn't really forward our missing, because we are not sending mass bodies into the trenches like in previous wars.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
what part of "fighting for those who can't fight for themselves" was applied on murdering innocents in the middle east? when the US overthrew a democratic Iran?

does fighting for someone who can't include those beaten and thrown into vietnam by the US gov?

your views are just sad. you say i have the freedom to be who i want until the state decides i have no freedom and must surrender my life for their goals of getting more oil?

you say war is an extension of politics? yes, and politics are never about doing the rights thing. it's to further an agenda. i would not lay my life down to further a rich mans agenda. fuck that.

as for "hippy shit", you sound like someone who was around in the 50s/60s who still sees pinkos and hippys everywhere.

And you need to bite the red pill, there is no right, no wrong. There is what they have, what you have, and those who would take it from you if they could. You need to be in a certain position of power before you can show mercy. And I am sorry to break this to you, but YOU are the rich man, and this is YOUR agenda. If it is infact not, and you despise everything around you, I dont think there is anyone or anything holding you back, take a plane, go to Africa and plant trees, (That might actually be a worthy cause) and make a life there. On the other hand, if you are sort of accustomed to the way of life you are living now, where you are living it, with all the benefits, well then noone can blame you, it is RICH .. and thus, you being a rich guy.. But it does not come for free! From time to time, you have to fight for it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Knowing polticians, quite a few of them would prefer their own political career, and the wealth and power that comes with it, than the lives of their offspring

They are indeed the lowest of the low

So sad and just too close to home. It seems that if you want idealists, someone that would put their own body and soul before yours you'd have to look left but if you want someone with a more agressive finansial policy you have to look right .. and to the right the concentration of douchebags is just that much higher..

loose-loose.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
That is just sad.
If you can fight then you are born with the responsibility to fight for those who cannot fight for them selves.
And you are not FREE as in "I'm free and can do whatever just cause whatever" .. there are rules. These rules are governed by politics, and here is the kicker, war is a direct extension of politics, the very same politics that has given and still gives you freedom of speech(or whatever it is in uk), freedom to be the free man you are today, even to voice crap like this.
It is the direct consequence of politics (and hence war) that you have the choices you have today and you say you want no part of it? You dont like your freedom? Not ready to fight for it? Put down the blunt man, that is some hippie shit.

You are the only logical person in this thread. You understand that you own yourself. Keep your head up!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If there was a draft helicopter moms would be hiding their little Jimmies, Barabbas, and Harrys in their homes!

"Nooooo you can't have my little Johnny!"

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
So sad and just too close to home. It seems that if you want idealists, someone that would put their own body and soul before yours you'd have to look left but if you want someone with a more agressive finansial policy you have to look right .. and to the right the concentration of douchebags is just that much higher..

loose-loose.
Summed up well.