How would a mandatory US military draft go down?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Ha!

The draft won't work. Taking in mass bodies doesn't really forward our missing, because we are not sending mass bodies into the trenches like in previous wars.

Yes the time for large scale ground invasions is over.

So many reasons. America isn't as influential and powerful as before. There isn't money for it. I would add public opinion but that is easily manipulated, so that is not a factor

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
And you need to bite the red pill, there is no right, no wrong. There is what they have, what you have, and those who would take it from you if they could. You need to be in a certain position of power before you can show mercy. And I am sorry to break this to you, but YOU are the rich man, and this is YOUR agenda. If it is infact not, and you despise everything around you, I dont think there is anyone or anything holding you back, take a plane, go to Africa and plant trees, (That might actually be a worthy cause) and make a life there. On the other hand, if you are sort of accustomed to the way of life you are living now, where you are living it, with all the benefits, well then noone can blame you, it is RICH .. and thus, you being a rich guy.. But it does not come for free! From time to time, you have to fight for it.

ok, then let those with more than me fight 1st. when they're dead and gone i'll step up. happy? they have more to lose, they have more benefits so by your logic would that not make sense? :colbert:

--------

edit,

actually in this draft scenario - are we including women being drafted too?

Last edited:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
except he's arguing in favour of a draft in which case you have no freedom!

That comment was meant for you. I quoted the wrong person. That happens when you are at work and trying to get a comment in on your cell phone quickly.

EDIT: You are the only one to have made an attempt at discussing the moral aspect. While I don't think that a draft will happen any time soon it says something about our society (U.S. in particular) when so many are for a draft and do not even for a moment contemplate whether its right to force unwilling people to fight against total strangers half way across the world who have done nothing to them personally or suffer the consequences of time in prison. To me that is making the claim that Government owns your body and can do with it as it wishes. This thread is proof that many will back up a Governments claim to your flesh and even deride you for thinking that you were free. The mindlessness of the typical American causes me great concern for the health of personal liberty.

Last edited: