How would a mandatory US military draft go down?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fine with it being universal, but the draft didn't stop us from either Korea or Vietnam so why would it stop the next war? Heck, Vietnam may be the conflict where we had the least strategic interests or geopolitical considerations of any major conflict we've been in.

Because if you were wealthy or important you didn't have to go. If you went to college or did other things that better-off people did you were exempted. The elites never had any skin in the game for either one of those wars.

If the last 20 or so years of American military history haven't taught us the lesson, the draft never will. Whether it's to "stop terrorism" (Afghanistan), remove dictatorial threats (Iraq), or "standing up for human rights" (Somalia or anywhere in Africa for that matter) none of them have really been worth the price.

I'd be hesitant to compare Somalia, etc, to Afghanistan or Iraq. Our involvement in those other conflicts was tiny in comparison. Regardless, related to my point above, the people in charge were never worried about being personally affected. If their son or daughter was in the military as well I wonder if they would have second thoughts.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
there will never be a draft again cuz if there was, the population would then scrutinize stupid wars like afghanistan/iraq/syria, and immediately reject the policy and the gov doesnt want that. nobody gives a crap if some dumb volunteers want to go to a foreign country and murder people by choice, even if they think its wrong, but the minute you pull people out of college who dont want to do that schitt there would be a massive uprising from the populace against war and the gov. the gov doesnt want that, why would they deal with that if they could do it with volunteers and get no opposition vs. using a draft and likely having the population totally oppose/shut down the war

the us gov can get away with getting massive numbers of people killing/maiming/ptsd-ed by saying "well they volunteered and they knew what they were getting into", but they cant use that excuse if they drafted peepul who clearly dont want to involved in stupid schit war.
First of all you would have more credibility if you would learn to spell!
Second your way to young to know what you are talking about!
Thirdly knowing your luck if there was a draft you would be labeled undraftable due to psychological issues....

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Bring back the draft!

So all these wars could be more than spectator sport for the general population, watching from the comforts of their living room, pop corn and all - while countless innocent men, women and children are being killed. Yes, there should be draft, esp for the offspring of politicians

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I can't imagine there ever being a draft again unless all-out nuclear total war ensued. In which case I would imagine the survivors of the nuclear holocaust would have no compunction about being drafted because it would mean access to food and shelter.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i'd imagine i would run. my attitude would be that i dont owe the country anything. it's just a lump of dirt that issues me a passport. nothing more. if i was forced abroad i'd rather shoot an officer from my own country than some poor guy defending his home from an invasion that i am now part of.

if that means my country loses the war so be it.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
i'd imagine i would run. my attitude would be that i dont owe the country anything. it's just a lump of dirt that issues me a passport. nothing more. if i was forced abroad i'd rather shoot an officer from my own country than some poor guy defending his home from an invasion that i am now part of.

if that means my country loses the war so be it.

Good luck running.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
First we need to extremely limit the power of the executive branch (President) from unilaterally starting conflicts without the permission of the house and the senate. We also need to limit the ability of the CIA and the State department from supplying arms and ammunition to different government and militant factions around the world. It seems like the State Department's main purpose is to start wars.

I think I could support a mandatory military draft. My reasoning is that people are less willing to be for a war if they know their son or daughter could be sent into harms way. I still think we should look for volunteers first. I think that USA is much too willing to start conflicts. I think a lot of USA soldiers died in Iraq just trying to keep different sunni and shea factions from killing each other. If these people want to kill each other let them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Any party which supports a draft will go down in flames. I suggest they both show bipartisan support and try to implement it ASAP.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No politicians should be allowed to start a conflict unless they are willing to send their own sons and daughters with a mandatory draft. This is mainly so politicians are not just sending someone else's children to die.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Not too well. We are a nation of fatso loud mouth know it alls.

Right now, the real talent joins the military. People with heart and courage.

Could you imagine if every shit head, facebook selfie posting, heroin shooting asshole were pulled into the military?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
A draft wouldn't work anymore. Conscription isn't viable. With how are wars are fought, the amount of training required to ramp up our force in time of need is unfeasible. The way out military currently works is just fine: we have an active force for things that require maintenance or constant training and a reserve force to augment those that only require basic training and maintaining that level of certification. We don't just need bodies for the trenches anymore.

No party will support a draft, because the idea is stupid in itself.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Unless there was a U.S. Invasion or something equivalent to WWIII, I would hope that the American people would rise up in protest until every elected official either backed down or was voted out of office.

What would actually happen is a bunch of draft-dodging, protests, media and social media outrage, followed by re-election of the incumbents as people direct their blame on the other party and possibly the President.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Dec 69, first draft lottery. Drew number 24.

Hated the politicians. Hated the war. Hated the people that blamed the soldiers for the war. Hated the Army...

Loved my German Shepherd Sentry Dog like nothing else, before or since... Loved having a puppy trained to kill everyone in the world, except me. Loved, and hated, each night that I got to be alone on the perimeter in the jungle. Just me, my puppy, my 16, my 45, and a radio that worked, most of the time...

Hated the 3.2 mile perimeter that I walked. Hated the herbicide they sprayed on the dead area outside the perimeter. Hate the rash that still comes and goes ...'

Draft is done. Its not coming back.

Chelsea Clinton in a flack jacket? Obama's girls in ROTC uniforms?
Don't think so. Besides:

It don't mean nothing ...

Uno
Sentry Dog Handler
US Army 69-71

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Hated the people that blamed the soldiers for the war.

That is the real problem with war, and it is far more disgusting than anything done in one. Blaming soldiers, especially those drafted, for the war when they return is beyond stupid. Blame the politicians who sent them.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No politicians should be allowed to start a conflict unless they are willing to send their own sons and daughters with a mandatory draft. This is mainly so politicians are not just sending someone else's children to die.

Screw that. The politicians should go themselves. As things are now, politicians lack the courage to even raise taxes to pay for the wars they start let alone fight in them.

Jay5

Jan 28, 2013
considering america is being ran by anti war liberal pansys i dont see it happening

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
considering america is being ran by anti war liberal pansys i dont see it happening
Really? Obama has been anything but anti-war and he's hardly a liberal. The House is run by chickenhwk fascists and the Senate by senile conservatives. I'm not seeing much in the way of anti-war anybodies nor liberals in charge of anything at the national level.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
How about a limited draft: children and grandchildren of conscription age of Congressmen are automatically drafted into the Army at times of war.

Sending someone else's kids to die is a tough decision. Sending your own makes it likely that there will be a lot more thought given to it. "Well, my friends at Haliburton will get richer, but my own son might die as a result. Hmmm."

Feb 4, 2009
How about a limited draft: children and grandchildren of conscription age of Congressmen are automatically drafted into the Army at times of war.

Sending someone else's kids to die is a tough decision. Sending your own makes it likely that there will be a lot more thought given to it. "Well, my friends at Haliburton will get richer, but my own son might die as a result. Hmmm."

A powerful thought