How the PlayStation 4 is better than a PC

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeh39

Aug 28, 2012
Neither Intel nor Nvidia could provide the next gen tech in the Xbox One and PS4. Intel Iris graphics are slow, power hungry, and expensive. Nvidia has not X86 license. :thumbsdown:

And more of the same for discrete. New AMD-based gaming notebooks were presented at Computex. You need a Haswell (Intel) plus 750M (Nvidia) to match one of those notebooks.

That must be why AMD is destroying both companies in market share. Oh wait, they aren't. They are getting utterly destroyed by Intel in every market. And they only have a very small lead over Nvidia in GPU, and are getting utterly destroyed by Intel in GPUs.

Nvidia has no X86 chip. It couldn't sell anything. The best chip developed by Intel is Haswell, which is much slower and power hungry than the APUs on Xbox One and PS4.

What world are you living in where you think that Haswell is more power hungry than the APU in either the PS4 or XBox One? If we are just talking about the CPU portion, then Haswell completely wipes the floor with the CPU in the PS4 and Xbox One. If you are talking graphics, then yes the APU in the consoles is faster than Haswell. Which considering ATI has been doing graphics for years and years, is not that big of deal that they are able to beat a CPU company that just recently decided to take GPU's seriously

From the link:

Quote:
The upcoming next-generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony are powered by AMD's new line of APUs. To give people an idea of how powerful the new processors are, AMD released a new trailer called "Be Invincible"...

And from AMD's own site: http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/products/Pages/invincible.aspx
, not some random youtube posting, there is no mention of the PS4 of XBox One. You have a real bad tendency of quoting random people on the internet when it comes to supporting your views, as opposed to actually quoting where the actual information came from. You did this with the EA article about the PS4 being generations ahead of Pcs. You would rather quote some random journalist's thoughts on the article, rather than actually reading and quoting the actual article itself.

ps- still waiting on the source for AMD retiring support for DirectX. It's ok that you can't find it, because it doesn't exist. You just made it up!!!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Did it really take 69 pages for the truth to finally come out that this isn't a PS4 thread it's simply an AMD troll thread? Dang.
That took maybe 10 pages. It took 60 pages for it to get too boring to keep replying to :).

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
That must be why AMD is destroying both companies in market share.

I explicitly mentioned next consoles in a thread about the PS4. What is the market share of Intel and Nvidia on those consoles? 0%?

What world are you living in where you think that Haswell is more power hungry than the APU in either the PS4 or XBox One? If we are just talking about the CPU portion, then Haswell completely wipes the floor with the CPU in the PS4 and Xbox One. If you are talking graphics, then yes the APU in the consoles is faster than Haswell. Which considering ATI has been doing graphics for years and years, is not that big of deal that they are able to beat a CPU company that just recently decided to take GPU's seriously

Most OEMs are rejecting Haswell (GT3e) because is "power hungry and expensive". Almost all gaming notebooks will use a dGPU. In what world you imagine that Sony and MS would select Intel APUs for their next consoles?

Now the excuse for Intel are years? Never hear that excuse for AMD CPUs

And from AMD's own site: http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/products/Pages/invincible.aspx
, not some random youtube posting, there is no mention of the PS4 of XBox One. You have a real bad tendency of quoting random people on the internet when it comes to supporting your views, as opposed to actually quoting where the actual information came from.

It is a press news released by AMD recently and reported in many new sites. But you can continue negating the facts and going with your conspiracy theories

http://n4g.com/news/1271059/amd-be-invincible-trailer-gives-a-taste-of-xbox-one-and-ps4-tech

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/AM...One-PS4-Chips-With-Tron-Like-Style-56350.html

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/04/amd-be-invincible-trailer-gives-a-taste-of-xbox-one-tech/

And several hundred of English sites more... You can find the news in german, french, spanish, italian sites...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Xbox-...-Xbox-One-Grafik-Video-Be-Invincible-1072629/

http://www.boainformacao.com.br/201...-d-um-gostinho-da-tecnologia-no-xbox-one-ps4/

http://www.unocero.com/2013/06/04/como-luciran-los-juegos-de-xbox-one-y-playstation-4/

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/11939...a-unidea-della-potenza-di-ps4-e-xbox-one.html

LOL :D

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Most OEMs are rejecting Haswell (GT3e) because is "power hungry and expensive".

The embargo on Haswel lifted Saturday night at midnight, right? I mean, I only really know this because I was on the Intel campus when it lifted for a "launch party"...

So where's your info that in less than a WEEK OEMs have declined it and leaked that? Last I looked the new Macbook could end up with Haswell.

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
The embargo on Haswel lifted Saturday night at midnight, right? I mean, I only really know this because I was on the Intel campus when it lifted for a "launch party"...

So where's your info that in less than a WEEK OEMs have declined it and leaked that? Last I looked the new Macbook could end up with Haswell.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2013/05/qa-why-gamers-still-need-a-discrete-gpu-with-haswell/

OEMs don’t seem all that impressed with GT3e, as it’s power hungry and expensive. We expect only a tiny number of notebooks will come with GT3e.

(...)

Every major PC OEM will be offering notebooks with Haswell and discrete NVIDIA GPUs.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Maybe you misunderstood the question. He asked you to provide a list of OEM's that declined to use GT3e, which is what you claimed. Or is this just another example of "AMD abandoning direct x" meaning, you completely made it up?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe you misunderstood the question. He asked you to provide a list of OEM's that declined to use GT3e, which is what you claimed. Or is this just another example of "AMD abandoning direct x" meaning, you completely made it up?

Not just that, he posted a link to nVidia saying OEMs don't like it. Because nVidia is totally a reliable source on these matters.

Every major OEM will have a NV dGPU...yeah. Because the Macbook Air will have a dGPU, yes? (and I guess this means OEMs don't like AMD, right galego? If nVidia is a source to be trusted...)

This is hopeless...

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
We released about ten titles on PS3 and we can confirm that it was not very easy to utilize even 50% of PS3 power. It was not easy even to start development, especially on the first days of PS3 – not enough documentation and tools, and absolutely different architecture from all other platforms. But PS4 looks very different. It has lots of power and it is easy to get to it in the beginning (cause it is like a very powerful PC), but of course it still a challenge to get all 100%.

PlayStation4 has amazingly powerful architecture and it is a fixed platform. When developing for PC, you always have to provide a lot of settings, some of which will help to increase performance, but only on certain configurations. Or for the sake of maintainability PC engineers are sometimes forced to choose a more universal approach when working on the larger amount of configurations rather than the most optimal because most players don’t have top of the line rigs. PlayStation4 is fixed platform which allows us to optimize at the highest levels. Of course, we will still work on PC, Mac version of the game, as well as the recently announced mobile version.

The average PC will not be able to compete with the PS4 in performance for a long time. Also I might add that it is a fixed platform, so PS4 players get better graphics than any other game of the genre can offer. Concerning certain technical characteristics – it is yet too early to announce them.

http://www.tech-gaming.com/war-thunder-qa-and-a-peek-at-playstation-4-capability/

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, I recognized that too but figured I'd let others in on the fun and tear apart his ridiculous claims. :)

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
He asked you to provide a list of OEM's that declined to use GT3e

In your imaginary world? Agree. In the real world his post does not have the word "list" in it.

Not just that, he posted a link to nVidia saying OEMs don't like it. Because nVidia is totally a reliable source on these matters.

It is much more reliable than certain anonymous posters here.

Every major OEM will have a NV dGPU...yeah. Because the Macbook Air will have a dGPU, yes? (and I guess this means OEMs don't like AMD, right galego? If nVidia is a source to be trusted...)

This is hopeless...

It is funny. He wrote "Every major PC OEM" then you snip "PC" from the quote and then introduce Apple... :thumbsup:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Man trolls really are funny. It's great when people will advocate products for a company for free.

I'm getting a PS4 now. My PS4 will destroy a tri SLI TITAN setup easily.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I stated earlier in this thread that operating costs for PC are lower, typically $10 lower per game at launch prices. And Steam sales put even USED console game prices to shame a lot of the time. But I may been UNDERstating that $10 launch price number:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/skyrim-legendary-edition-now-available

Legendary Edition $60 for console peasants, $45 for the PC Gamer master race.

Of course there were other consideration as well, such as electricity and recurring XBox Live costs and possibly the same going on for PS4, and you can resell console games more easily than PC games (at least for now), but this is just further proof of PC gaming's operating cost advantage vs. current-gen consoles that may well continue into the future.

P.S. Good luck running Skyrim mods, like high-rez packs or UI mods or whatever, on consoles. Bwhahahaha.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
P.S. Good luck running Skyrim mods, like high-rez packs or UI mods or whatever, on consoles. Bwhahahaha.

On the flip side of this argument (and I'm staunchly in the PC gamer camp, so don't get me wrong), if the next-gen consoles are set up to allow user-generated content (pending some form of screening process, I'm sure), you can bet it's going to be easier to install than on a PC. On Skyrim, you have competing mod managers, you have a special program just to determine mod load order, you have multiple sources to get your mods from and they don't work together, and many mods simply overwrite pieces of others. The whole thing is extremely confusing. Rewarding, but confusing, and that keeps many people from taking advantage of it. The consoles, if they allowed it, could streamline the entire process through a single source and ensure that any potential conflicts all work with each other. Sure, it wouldn't offer the sheer depth of options, but there's something to be said for convenience...

But, yes, the consoles really will never offer the sheer depth of options the PC platform offers, specifically because they're locked down.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
It is funny. He wrote "Every major PC OEM" then you snip "PC" from the quote and then introduce Apple... :thumbsup:

Hi. I work on hardware. I've worked on phones, tablets and PCs. I know OSX, Windows and I suffered WinCE back in the day. I know what OEM means, a lot better than you ever will.

These days a macbook is little more than a PC. It runs an Intel chip; the Air runs just a HD4000. The Pro runs a HD4000 until you need the power of the GT650 at which point the 650 powers up. Either way, Macs sell very well and are a great OEM to look at. The work laptop I have right now - a UX31 with IVB in it - is pretty much modeled to look like a Macbook Air (oh, and also just runs an HD4000. The BOM probably looks VERY similar to that of the Air.)

Regardless, you quoted nVidia as saying that GT3e is bad and no one wants it. I mean, nVidia clearly has no reason to lie here, right? It's not like Intel is aiming to make it so you don't even need to put a dGPU into your laptop right?

Stop spreading FUD. Seriously, stop.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
In your imaginary world? Agree. In the real world his post does not have the word "list" in it.

Don't get upset because your BS was called out yet again. You were questioned on your OEM claim, and proceeded to back it up with a link that doesn't at all say what you claimed.

You were called out on your PS4 claims, and proceeded to back it up with quotes that don't at all say what you claimed.

You were called out on your AMD/Direct X claim, and finally did the smartest thing I've seen yet out of you and keept your mouth shut.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Pay attention to the last part of the phrase. "Long time" does not mean five minutes as it does mean for you :wub:

The average PC would take a "long time" correct. That doesn't mean TRI-SLI titans and an i7, because if it did, that's what they would say, but that would be retarded, so you're the only one making such remarks.

The "average PC" today is probably running a Pentium Dual Core or an i3 and their respective IGPs, which wouldn't even be as capable as a 360 as far as gaming, so to say the PS4 is way ahead of an "average pc" means absolutely nothing. If you had a clue, I wouldn't have to explain that to you. But you don't, so there you go.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Sounds like Galego knows as much about as the "average PC" as he does about AMD retiring DirectX support.

You know he's frantically searching google trying to find a random post by a random person that has the words "AMD" "Directx" and "retiring"

In fact, he's probably asked the question in another forum, hoping there's at least one person reading it who's nearly as daft is going to "confirm" this, which he'll then proceed to post a screenshot of that post.

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
Hi. I work on hardware. I've worked on phones, tablets and PCs. I know OSX, Windows and I suffered WinCE back in the day. I know what OEM means, a lot better than you ever will.

Nice attempt, but my complaint was not about the word OEM.

Regardless, you quoted nVidia as saying that GT3e is bad and no one wants it. I mean, nVidia clearly has no reason to lie here, right? It's not like Intel is aiming to make it so you don't even need to put a dGPU into your laptop right?

Of course, Nvidia is lying when says that most OEM are rejecting GT3e and using discrete graphics. OEM presenting notebooks at Computex that do not include intel GT3e graphics but a beter dGPU and news sites reporting the fiasco of GT3e are also involved in the lie true?

Thanks by the laugh.

The "average PC" today is probably running a Pentium Dual Core or an i3 and their respective IGPs, which wouldn't even be as capable as a 360 as far as gaming, so to say the PS4 is way ahead of an "average pc" means absolutely nothing. If you had a clue, I wouldn't have to explain that to you. But you don't, so there you go.

You got it correct at the first! :thumbsup: The entire gaming industry was worried about if the new consoles would have better graphics than a Pentium dual core with IGP, because it was not really evident from the specs.

Then as the rumour was increasing, one developer has finally confirmed that the PS4 will have better graphics than your "average PC" with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

LOL

This thread has run its course, and various parties are being dealt with
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.