how the heck do mid 20 year olds make 100k+?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
If I get hired at the local utility company next year, starting positions are around $85k a year. If I can pass the FE, that'll bump my pay 5%, so that's almost $90k starting.

They'll also pay for my Masters, I don't know what the pay scale is for Graduate degree EE's.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
Business undergrad degree + professional certification and living in a relatively high COL area. CPAs...CFAs... $100k a year is average for a CPA with 5 years experience in the private sector around this area it seems like. The people still working in Big 4 firms make a little less than $100k right now. A lot of engineers I know around here (silicon valley) make in the $100k range right now.

The CPA degree is what gets you that boost and a couple years exp. I have friends who worked at KPMG for just shy of $60k. Granted its KPMG, the bottom of the Big 4. I'll ask my PWC friend and I should run into one from EY tomorrow. They're fresh grads.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
giving 1200 blowjobs and charging 100 bucks a pop

This is not how i plan on making my 120k per year.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
If I get hired at the local utility company next year, starting positions are around $85k a year. If I can pass the FE, that'll bump my pay 5%, so that's almost $90k starting.

They'll also pay for my Masters, I don't know what the pay scale is for Graduate degree EE's.
What utility, if you don't mind?

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
How do you intend to charge people 5 times as much as a regular blowjob costs? :sneaky:

give epic blow jobs.

101210d1254630478-motivational-posters-epic-eyes-bj-blowjob-demotivational-poster.jpg

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
yeah, it's a pharmD degree. 4 years undergrad + 4 years pharm school + residency (for most places outisde of walgreens/cvs). But I don't work @ cvs, I work in a hospital. I think I would go insane working @ a cvs...

Yeh, my wife is a clinical phamacist too. Retail typically pays more, but hospital jobs are trying to catch up. Pay between hospitals is pretty broad. My wife made almost 50% more a year going to a private owned hospital vs. a state affiliated university one. Benefits were a tiny bit better at the Uni's, but not anywhere close to 50% less pay better.

She was over 100k at 26. I'm half jealous, half in awe at how much she makes with overtime shifts. One 8 hour day is around $750 gross pay. :O

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I'm 23 and earn 90k. It will go up to 100k next year and likely taper off around 130-150k depending on my promotions. Didn't know accountants could be paid so highly lol, although I do work for an investment bank.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
The CPA degree is what gets you that boost and a couple years exp. I have friends who worked at KPMG for just shy of $60k. Granted its KPMG, the bottom of the Big 4. I'll ask my PWC friend and I should run into one from EY tomorrow. They're fresh grads.

I'm an accountant and I can tell you our profession is overpaid. Oh well everybody knew what thy were getting into when they went to college so you can't blame the system.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Assuming I continue my average of 7% raises each year I will hit 100K at age 31 (26 now). I hate my job though. If I could find something I truly enjoyed doing I would gladly sacrifice at least half that money.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Management/project management at a large company is were the money is at. I'm a computer tech level 2 and making 50k, middle of the pay scale. To make the big bucks is to get into project management. Everything thing I seen from project management I would hate, meetings all day and tons of e-mails would bored me to death. I'm a hands on kind of guy and fixing computers is enjoyable for me.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Management/project management at a large company is were the money is at. I'm a computer tech level 2 and making 50k, middle of the pay scale. To make the big bucks is to get into project management. Everything thing I seen from project management I would hate, meetings all day and tons of e-mails would bored me to death. I'm a hands on kind of guy and fixing computers is enjoyable for me.

pretty much this.

my brothers first out of college job is 90K/year, but he has a PHD in Chem E from MIT, vetting ideas for a venture capitalist firm

he works 8-6 or 6:30 M-F and eats lunch at his desk.....

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Yeh, my wife is a clinical phamacist too. Retail typically pays more, but hospital jobs are trying to catch up. Pay between hospitals is pretty broad. My wife made almost 50% more a year going to a private owned hospital vs. a state affiliated university one. Benefits were a tiny bit better at the Uni's, but not anywhere close to 50% less pay better.

She was over 100k at 26. I'm half jealous, half in awe at how much she makes with overtime shifts. One 8 hour day is around $750 gross pay. :O

thats what I like about my hospital. Were so short-staffed and busy, overtime is easy to come by.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Depends on the area. What i make now would be almost 100k in California. I just turned 26.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000

CFA will pull over $100k with 2-3yrs experience

FIX contracting in the UK £450-600 a day, £118-156k ~ $160-240k

Work at a financial software vendor, fix provider, market data provider, broker (bloomberg, fidessa, reuters, broker)

1.5-2yrs, do application/ trader support, learn and gain knowledge in

fix
unix
financial markets
exchange knowledge
£22-25k start

Leave place, get to a broker/ ibank for £40-55k +10-20% bonuse, work 2-3yrs here

2nd job at broker/ ibank £55-65k +10-20% and if your on £65k thats just $100k basic

26-28 you should just be on $100k basic if you've been leaving for a new job every 2yrs and your on your 3rd job. This is for a permy role and if you were doing FIX contracting which is not out of the question with 4-5yrs experience your on $150-240k.

9-10hr days are the norm M to F, lunch at the desk also, fairly standard,

It's a very niche area and not one many people 'want' to get in to until they find out it pays pretty well.

Imagine £600 a day...f0cking crazy...

Koing

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Depends a lot on your location. I imagine 100k in the midwest is a LOT of money and correspondingly more difficult to achieve. 100k in NYC... not special at all. As a tech based consultant, you can easily make that money a few years out of college.

Also, I really wouldn't put too much stock into ppl who say you have to get a masters. While it may be a necessity for certain professions, experience tells me that personality and work ethic are FAR better determinants for achieving a high paying job. Assuming you're in one of the fields that support >100k salaries (engineering, comp sci, finance, tech/finance consulting etc), you should focus your energy on interview/communication skills (and of course actually performing well).

My $0.02.

Last edited:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Getting your MBA from a top B-school and find a job at a top management consulting firm. Starting pay for those firms for an MBA associate is $120k+.

Actually it's more like $180k-$200k from what I hear (that's CDN so a little less in the US).

Also, to have an MBA and be working for one of those firms by 25 is extremely rare. Usually you finish your undergrad at 22, work for a minimum of 3 years, then do your MBA from 25-27, in a job by 28.