how the heck do mid 20 year olds make 100k+?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BChico

Platinum Member
May 27, 2000
Depends if you are in NYC or Fargo.

1. First year out of college at i bank = 150K+ total comp

2. First year out of law school at amlaw 50 firm = 150K+ total comp

3. Third-Fourth year top management consulting = 100K-120K total comp

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
as people have already said, there's a number of factors that determine salary....some mentioned, and some not:

1) cost of living (in places like NYC or SF, greater compensation is offered to offset higher living expenses)

2) experience/skill-set.

3) value/rarity. not many people can make a multi-million-selling music album, or are able to both succeed in an athletic endeavor and become a persuasive model in ads.

4) overtime / bonuses. Some jobs allow you to earn more money by working above your normal hours and be compensated, or having bonuses and/or stock options (esp. in management).

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Also, jumping from 50k to 75k is easier than jumping from 75k to 100k, from a general statistical point of view.

The amount of 100k jobs is much, much less than 75k jobs. Even though 200k is the new 100k, the 100k (magical 6 figure) job still holds some sentimental significance to both employers and employees.

Nov 3, 2004
I know someone making 115K/year straight out of school, so I imagine he's making more now as that was a couple years ago. He studied cs.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Nope, she works 3 days a week. Including OT, she pro'bly gets 150K. She's a supervisor of some sort.
I must be living in the wrong town then ;)

My brother is a Senior Project Manage with over 20 years of experience at IBM and he barely break the $90K mark (he have been a senior project manager for almost 10 years).

It is odd to see such high wages for the same occupation but in different area (my ex have a BSN ++ OR and a few other nursing certs). Base salary for a MSN in my town is around $82~$85K.

Supervisor make an additional $2~3K per annum over the base salary in my town

Kevin1211

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
not to brag or anything.. but i graduated from St. Johns Pharm D program 2 years ago and I'm making about 105k/year at a pharmacy... And im only 25

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
not to brag or anything.. but i graduated from St. Johns Pharm D program 2 years ago and I'm making about 105k/year at a pharmacy... And im only 25

Then how come the computer in your sig is crap?

105K and you only have a P4 processor with 1GB of memory?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
computer performance = (how much of a geek you are)^10

Totally unrelated to the OP...I had my 15yr old bro who is a non geek and knows f0ck all about computers (practically), look up how to work out numbers in binary :p He is rock solid at Maths though.

Koing

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Then how come the computer in your sig is crap?

no doubt the cost of living where he lives means that 105k is "low-middle class" and he's barely above poverty. he's probably renting a 10k/month 1 bedroom... leasing a 75k car... and partying nightly spending 1k a night on booze.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
no doubt the cost of living where he lives means that 105k is "low-middle class" and he's barely above poverty. he's probably renting a 10k/month 1 bedroom... leasing a 75k car... and partying nightly spending 1k a night on booze.

I never believed it when people spent that much on alcohol until I had to chip in on bottle service at a club. I said to myself this is the most over rated, rip off - bullshit i ever heard of. Granted they didnt serve us smirnoff or cuervo, but a $1000! for some blonde to pour your alcohol and pretend she wants to talk to you?. I thought they were smokin. I'll take my liquor store jack in the car anyday pls.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I never believed it when people spent that much on alcohol until I had to chip in on bottle service at a club. I said to myself this is the most over rated, rip off - bullshit i ever heard of. Granted they didnt serve us smirnoff or cuervo, but a $1000! for some blonde to pour your alcohol and pretend she wants to talk to you?. I thought they were smokin. I'll take my liquor store jack in the car anyday pls.

Pool places in some London bars will only let you grab a pool table if you run up a £500 bar bill...it's the norm apprently.

Koing

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Could this be the weakest comeback you've ever come up with? I am not sure what you are even upset/debating about. You think 75k and 100k are pretty much the same thing?

No actually I dont. Not at all. But since you are functionally illiterate, its hard to communicate with you.

Read the post again.
I said he started at 75 grand when he was 25 years old.
BEFORE HE WAS 30 HE WAS MAKING ALMOST ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.
I did not say he made 100 thousand at age 25 or seventy five thousand by around age 30. You got things mixed up in your head and some assumptions on top of that.
Rather than correct your deficiency you chose to remain ignorant and act like a brat.
And whats worse is you tried to drag me down into your den of stupidity and childishness.

How dare you?

Riceninja

Golden Member
May 21, 2008
i work in investments; quite a few of my fellow finance grads are nearing the 100k mark. most of us are in the 70-80k range

we're all 24 this year

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Your wife has herself a sugga daddy, I bet you had your pick of the ladies when they found out how much you made a year, or did you try to conceal that as much as you could?

She married me when I was still in college making $10/hour :)

I do try to conceal it but I get my fair share of gold digging skanks trying to get in on the gravy train....