how the heck do mid 20 year olds make 100k+?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Implementation of Electronic Health Records? Sales of software and hardware? Reselling medical equipment? (think of X-Ray rooms or $100,000 software packages) Monthly contracts for keeping systems running?

Again, I work for myself as an independent contractor. I make sales, I make things work. I don't sit in a basement answering help desk calls to make that money.

if you're selling anything, you're not in IT. You're in sales.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I dunno about all these liars, but I know a dude whos dating a girl I want to bone. He's some sort of investment councilor. At 25 he was pulling in around seventy five grand.
He's not even 30 yet and already darn close to 100,000 a year.

I should have gone straight for the money, instead of fucking around with electronics which is a dead-end field for Americans. The Indians and Koreans are stomping us.

I'm sorry but 75K is not close to 100k. You'd need a 33% increase to reach 100K. Also, since six figures is this magical number for employee and employers alike, it's difficult to bridge that gap. 75k at 25 is not that difficult.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Assuming one could find a job in this economy, a 1st year lawyer right out of law school can make around $160k first year, assuming he gets a job at one of the New York-based "market leader" type firms.

From 1997 to 2007, the median starting salary at the nation’s largest firms doubled, to $160,000 a year plus bonus, from $80,000, according to the Association for Legal Career Professionals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/business/01LEGAL.html

Pay wasn't quite $160k/yr when I graduated law school, but it was well above $100k pretty much across the board (in certain markets, like D.C. where I was).

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I agree with you. I think she could possibly leave public and work in internal audit/sox compliance in a year or two. Hard to say whether or not she'd get a manager position, they'd probably offer her a senior position right now and she wouldn't take it because she already worked for and achieved manager title. I've mentioned to her how manager positions that open up at the tech company I work at and others that recruiters talk to me about look for a combination of Big 4 and industry experience. Honestly, I think she'll end up eventually leaving in a year and a half, and going to a smaller firm because she still enjoys auditing but is starting to get burned out from the Big 4 hours and stress.

I use to work at the same Big 4 as her here in the Bay Area. I left after exactly 3 full years of experience for a revenue policy position at a tech company with better hours and a nice pay increase. That was 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier, and even though I'm not a manager yet (senior instead), I'll probably still make about 10-15% more than she will even though she's a higher position than me, more if you include my bonus and stock.

SOX is dead IMO. Internal audit sux. But I guess if she's the type that would leave to do IA, then she's better off in audit...

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Just go be a pharmacist, all you do is count to 30 all day while making 100K at CVS/or whereever you want.
You know, pharmacists do more than count pills. That's just what they do unless the doctor fucks up or the customers have questions. They get paid so much because they take liability for the pharmacy.

May 16, 2000
I'm sorry but 75K is not close to 100k. You'd need a 33% increase to reach 100K. Also, since six figures is this magical number for employee and employers alike, it's difficult to bridge that gap. 75k at 25 is not that difficult.

If it's not difficult why do only 10% of the population EVER earn 75k or more, never mind by age 25?

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
If it's not difficult why do only 10% of the population EVER earn 75k or more, never mind by age 25?

Because it takes effort. It is not that difficult in the same way that driving a car isn't difficult. Once you put in the effort to learn how to do it then it's easy.

To make that kind of money you generally need a skill or education and you need to practice it. A lot of people don't want this - they want to walk into a job that pays $15/hour at some large chain and put in their 40 hour week. It is a simpler life.

To get beyond that you have to set a goal and reach for it...people aren't just handed those jobs...they are for those who have taken the time to better themselves.

May 16, 2000
Because it takes effort. It is not that difficult in the same way that driving a car isn't difficult. Once you put in the effort to learn how to do it then it's easy.

To make that kind of money you generally need a skill or education and you need to practice it. A lot of people don't want this - they want to walk into a job that pays $15/hour at some large chain and put in their 40 hour week. It is a simpler life.

To get beyond that you have to set a goal and reach for it...people aren't just handed those jobs...they are for those who have taken the time to better themselves.

Fair enough.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
So, you're a contractor who does both sales and implementation for healthcare IT? I can believe your figures then.

Along with consulting, maintenance and support...yes. It didn't start out that way and I grew into the role as word of mouth spread and offices started calling me. They generally just have an idea: we want to go electronic. In most cases I help them make the selection, procure the software, hardware and equipment, implement it and provide IT support for it. I have become a one stop shop for a lot of physician offices.

What people in this field don't understand is that the physicians are ready to pay for stuff and they pay well...but they want good service and when their shit doesn't work then they aren't making money... so you better make sure their shit works and you need to be available in case something breaks.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
In most cases I help them make the selection, procure the software, hardware and equipment, implement it and provide IT support for it. I have become a one stop shop for a lot of physician offices.

In addition to consulting, service and support fees, do you get sales commission from the big name vendors..like say if you sell an Allscripts EMR setup and Dell EMC storage?

Hell, I'm pretty damn sure our Dell rep who specializes in just their healthcare sales makes >$100K with commissions. Add in the contracts and service fees, that's a great niche....and a ridiculous ton of work if you're operating alone.

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Along with consulting, maintenance and support...yes. It didn't start out that way and I grew into the role as word of mouth spread and offices started calling me. They generally just have an idea: we want to go electronic. In most cases I help them make the selection, procure the software, hardware and equipment, implement it and provide IT support for it. I have become a one stop shop for a lot of physician offices.

What people in this field don't understand is that the physicians are ready to pay for stuff and they pay well...but they want good service and when their shit doesn't work then they aren't making money... so you better make sure their shit works and you need to be available in case something breaks.

nice

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
In addition to consulting, service and support fees, do you get sales commission from the big name vendors..like say if you sell an Allscripts EMR setup and Dell EMC storage?

Hell, I'm pretty damn sure our Dell rep who specializes in just their healthcare sales makes >$100K with commissions. Add in the contracts and service fees, that's a great niche....and a ridiculous ton of work if you're operating alone.

It depends on the vendor. In most cases I just become the value added reseller and resell it... but yes, it is much easier to make money off of comission/reselling than actually working hourly. A lot of times the hourly work I do is simply so I can give face time and show that I am dependable and not ripping them off.

Another thing I learned: your personality makes the sales. Most times products are comparable in features and price... but having that gift of gab and ability to relate and be a friend can make the sale. Most of my customers don't even price shop...they just tell me what they need and I give them a quote. This is because I don't rip them off. And they know I make a great living. Probably make a bit more than some of the physicians....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I agree.

You're sorry.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
what would that be? (if you don't mind, just curiosity)

Sailing. I love traveling and I want a 50' sailboat that the wife and I can retire on and visit all of those little islands on earth that have no airports.

Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy and have more free time than you would think...but I'm a hard worker and will sacrifice certain things for my ultimate goal. What doesn't get sacrificed is time with family (and yes, we do generally vacation once a year, but I'm still available by cell most of the time.)

I can appreciate both lifestyles and money doesn't make people happy... but I would be a fool not to seize these great opportunites in the interest of having more reading time or whatever. I do not want to be a 68 year old Wal-Mart greeter, bored in retirement because I didn't save enough to do anything worthwhile.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
....and a ridiculous ton of work if you're operating alone.

To address this...yes, it is a lot of work..but that actually helps. I've become a commodity because of the level of service I provide. I might not be the smartest at this, and somebody may be better at that, but overall my service and dedication is what drives people to me.

Just like any commodity, scarcity drives the price up. I do have another person who helps me occasionally (not an employee, just someone I 1099) and what I have learned is that people want me personally, not other people. I tried to send him over to one clinic for routine things and the PA told me "But we really like you. We want you to come over."

So I've become a rare commodity and priced as such. There is only so much of me and whatever rapport I've built is worth the price for the physicians. Being personable goes a long way. Answering your phone at 6:30 a.m. on the first ring doesn't hurt either.

What I sell is peace of mind and comfort. Imagine the relief these physicians have when they can text me "could you please do this" or "my something is broken" and it is taken care of for them...no tracking the issues, no finding where I am at...they just know it will be done.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah I'm not motivated enough to make more money is really what it comes down to. If it is what you WANT to do, there are plenty of ways to do it.

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
Sailing. I love traveling and I want a 50' sailboat that the wife and I can retire on and visit all of those little islands on earth that have no airports.

Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy and have more free time than you would think...but I'm a hard worker and will sacrifice certain things for my ultimate goal. What doesn't get sacrificed is time with family (and yes, we do generally vacation once a year, but I'm still available by cell most of the time.)

I can appreciate both lifestyles and money doesn't make people happy... but I would be a fool not to seize these great opportunites in the interest of having more reading time or whatever. I do not want to be a 68 year old Wal-Mart greeter, bored in retirement because I didn't save enough to do anything worthwhile.

Your wife has herself a sugga daddy, I bet you had your pick of the ladies when they found out how much you made a year, or did you try to conceal that as much as you could?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
i could make more if I didnt need sleep

offered more OT than I can work, too bad. probably hit almost 70K this year, but probably losing alot of the 'OT' soon as the place I consult for is looking to hire a FT