How the Dems killed Yucca, and the incompetence of Jaczko

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I think it should be mandatory that the state in which the nuclear waste is created should be required to store it.

Yes, because storing nuclear waste in an area north of the snow line is a really great plan. Yes, because storing nuclear waste in areas with significant rainfall, near the ocean, and with high water tables is a really great plan. Irrational fear bonus: near population centers, high density population, et cetera. And... cue terrors of radiation!

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Yes, they have something valuable to the nuclear operators. If nuclear power operators want it, they should pay Nevada enough money to make the state agree to store that waste there.
If what you say about Reid is true, he's doing an awesome job for the citizens of Nevada, having gotten funding to build the facility, without the downside of having any nuclear waste move into that facility.

You're disgusting.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Should have thought of that when building the plants.
power-reactors-map-sm.jpg

There is not a single nuclear plant in NV, so why should they be the nuclear dumpster of the US? Maybe the Nuclear plant operators should put some money on the table to make it worthwhile for NV.
Uh, U.S. law requires that the government provide a repository for SNF. The government has been and is still paying the operators of nuclear power plants as a result of a lawsuit because of the lack of a repository.

This isn't the plant operators' responsibility. It's the governments.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yes, they have something valuable to the nuclear operators. If nuclear power operators want it, they should pay Nevada enough money to make the state agree to store that waste there.
If what you say about Reid is true, he's doing an awesome job for the citizens of Nevada, having gotten funding to build the facility, without the downside of having any nuclear waste move into that facility.

If what I think he did is true. He is doing an awesome job of being a scumbag saddling tax payers with billions in costs for nothing. Typical you would cheerlead this scumbag.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, because storing nuclear waste in an area north of the snow line is a really great plan. Yes, because storing nuclear waste in areas with significant rainfall, near the ocean, and with high water tables is a really great plan. Irrational fear bonus: near population centers, high density population, et cetera. And... cue terrors of radiation!

But storing it at Yucca, an area of known volcanic activity, is?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If what I think he did is true. He is doing an awesome job of being a scumbag saddling tax payers with billions in costs for nothing. Typical you would cheerlead this scumbag.

You are a bitter emo. From Nevada's point of view, Reid let them eat their cake and have it too.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The residents of Memphis and Kansas City must be thrilled about Yucca too, knowing that if the site goes live something like 95% of the nation's nuclear waste will be going through their neighborhoods.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Uh, U.S. law requires that the government provide a repository for SNF. The government has been and is still paying the operators of nuclear power plants as a result of a lawsuit because of the lack of a repository.

Not Nevada government's.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
But storing it at Yucca, an area of known volcanic activity, is?

With 99% of the activity dating more than a million years ago, and the remaining 1% being non-explosive activity, it's a hell of a lot better than going north or east.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

Oops! I'll wait patiently for the anti-business pro-government cheerleaders to admit their error. :D

Edit: maybe anti-business isn't the phrase I want here. I can't think of the better phrasing right now. *shrug*

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am a bitter emo becaude I dont like govt waste? Whatever you say sparky.

If you don't want Yucca to go to waste, I am sure for a nice revenue stream, cash strapped Nevada will drop its objections to having nuclear waste stored there. There is enough money being made from selling nuclear power to pay for the waste disposal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Oops! I'll wait patiently for the anti-business pro-government cheerleaders to admit their error. :D

I am patiently waiting for pro-business anti-government cheerleaders to read their own posts and admit that they want the government to take care of business' problem.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
At least Jaskalas asks the right question of, "where does nuclear waste go instead?"

At sadly and to a large extent, political party independent, the answer will always be
NIMBY.

The nuclear waste will be be seriously radioactive for 50,000 years or more. And there is no place on earth that can be depended upon to be geologically stable for that time period. Or any storage keg that can be depended on for that long either.

And if the radioactive material leeches into ground water, its serious bad news.

Democrat or republican, Nevada can be depended on to say NIMBY. And everywhere else too.
Those are both false statements. Mountains don't disappear in 50,000 years. Maybe 500,000. And the storage vessels for the nuclear fuel are amazing. They can stand being hit by a freight train, being subjected to enormous explosions, and being subject to extensive, extreme heat and pressure, all in sequence.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The residents of Memphis and Kansas City must be thrilled about Yucca too, knowing that if the site goes live something like 95% of the nation's nuclear waste will be going through their neighborhoods.

Do you have a better plan? No, you don't. Storing waste north of the snow line, or east of the dry ground, doesn't work. Storing it on low ground, nearer the water table, doesn't work. Funding a dozen small sites is incredibly inefficient. Securing a dozen small sites is a nightmare.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Never said anything about Nevada's government. All I've seen mentioned in this thread are Obama and Reid, members of the federal government.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All you have seen are vigorous attempts by GOP fan boys to demonize only Reid and Obama, but don't think for one mad moment its just Reid and Obama. If you dig deeper you will find no one, D, R, or I's in Nevada, want the nation's nuclear wastes in their State of Nevada.

Of course the other thing to mention is that Yucca mountain was first proposed when Nevada had way less population. But now Nevada has grown quite a bit and many are scared to death about Nuclear. We have also learned a bit since 3 mile Island and Chernobyl about the lying sacks of shits who try to sell the absolute safety of nuclear power.

They lie and so do GOP fan boys. Of course us dems lie too. Its why we need to learn the truth on our own.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All you have seen are vigorous attempts by GOP fan boys to demonize only Reid and Obama, but don't think for one mad moment its just Reid and Obama. If you dig deeper you will find no one, D, R, or I's in Nevada, want the nation's nuclear wastes in their State of Nevada.

Of course the other thing to mention is that Yucca mountain was first proposed when Nevada had way less population. But now Nevada has grown quite a bit and many are scared to death about Nuclear. We have also learned a bit since 3 mile Island and Chernobyl about the lying sacks of shits who try to sell the absolute safety of nuclear power.

They lie and so do GOP fan boys. Of course us dems lie too. Its why we need to learn the truth on our own.

Apparently, you have not.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Never said anything about Nevada's government. All I've seen mentioned in this thread are Obama and Reid, members of the federal government.

Reid is a Senator representing Nevada's interests in the federal government. It's his job to fight for federal dollars and against nuclear waste for Nevada.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Reid is a Senator representing Nevada's interests in the federal government. It's his job to fight for federal dollars and against nuclear waste for Nevada.

And so Obama has Nevada's best interests in mind as well because he only represents Nevada? Shouldn't Obama have the nation's best interests in mind and, if nuclear waste has to be stored somewhere, what better place than Nevada?

And boo-fucking-hoo for all the people that moved into an area that was going to potentially be a nuclear waste storage facility. NIMBY? They should have done research before populating an area that could be a nuclear waste storage site.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I bet you loved the bridge to no where. Am I right you hack?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So let me get this straight, you so called state rightists want the Federal government to force the state of Nevada to house nuclear waste it doesn't want in its backyard?

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
So let me get this straight, you so called state rightists want the Federal government to force the state of Nevada to house nuclear waste it doesn't want in its backyard?

If the state initially agreed to have it there, then there should be consequences for retracting that. If they never agreed to have it there in the first place, then they shouldn't be forced by the fed. gov't to put it there.

From reading the article, it sounds like Nevada agreed to have it there and now they don't want it there. If I am wrong, then I stand corrected.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
And so Obama has Nevada's best interests in mind as well because he only represents Nevada? Shouldn't Obama have the nation's best interests in mind and, if nuclear waste has to be stored somewhere, what better place than Nevada?

And boo-fucking-hoo for all the people that moved into an area that was going to potentially be a nuclear waste storage facility. NIMBY? They should have done research before populating an area that could be a nuclear waste storage site.
I guess you are right Jacko, Philadelphia, PA would be a great place for a Nuclear dump facility. Think of all that slum clearance the Feds would provide the State of PA. We can relocate the displaced population to Nevada. And since PA has at least 4 nuke plants, look at all those savings in transport costs.

Last edited: