How Pro-Choice are Democrats?

Apr 27, 2012
Reason TV went to the DNC and asked people there views on different choice issues
Democrats claim to be pro-choice but there only pro-choice when it comes to abortion. On other choices they aren't pro-choice at all such as eating fast food, the choice to be in a union, school choice. They believe on many issues people shouldn't be able to make their own choice

Many of the people at the DNC said government has a right to ban trans fats/fast food and other things

You could really summarize the American political system this way. "I want a small government when it concerns me, but a big government for everyone else."

So why do Democrats claim to be pro-choice when they really aren't pro choice at all? And why do they think its alright to not allow people to make their own decisions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwejQBIyjow

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
The term "pro-choice" in modern parlance refers to a woman's choice over her reproductive system.

Idiot.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The real answer is that Democrats are not pro-choice, but pro-female-power.

Giving women complete control over reproduction and then using children as a way to extort money for women is the most logical way to advance this agenda.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The term "pro-choice" in modern parlance refers to a woman's choice over her reproductive system.

Idiot.

Incorrect. The term pro-choice, means directly that a person is all for a person having their own choice when it comes to anything with their body. Not just abortions.

This includes but is not limited to:

Junk food
Alcohol
Drugs
Piercings
Body mutilations
Abortions
etc.

Abortion is just always such a big topic that is where it is most used. But pro-choice is not an abortion only term.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Although I admire the Reason folks for their intellectual consistency they are trying to be too cute with this one.

Everyone knows what the term pro-choice means and the context that meaning exists in.

Also, you always have a choice to join a Union or not, but it may not be a true freedom of choice (ie its the only job you can get). However, you are trying to imply that because A occured and then B occured, A caused B. So, just because a majority of Dems support the right to have Unions, that does not imply they support all actions by all unions everywhere.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Someone has a great signature about this... something to the effect of asking Democrats to be pro-choice on more than abortion and Republicans to be pro-life on more than abortion.

But these people are engaging in semantic games reminiscent of those who claim "anti-Semitism doesn't really mean anti-Jewish because Arabs are also Semites". Yawn.

Apr 27, 2012
The real answer is that Democrats are not pro-choice, but pro-female-power.

Giving women complete control over reproduction and then using children as a way to extort money for women is the most logical way to advance this agenda.

This is the truth, Democrats want women to have abortions if they want but then expect men to pay for women's welfare?

So women should have the right to an abortion since its their choice but men dont have a choice in paying the welfare

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd give your mom permission to abort you right up to the day you die of natural causes.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Incorrect. The term pro-choice, means directly that a person is all for a person having their own choice when it comes to anything with their body. Not just abortions.

This includes but is not limited to:

Junk food
Alcohol
Drugs
Piercings
Body mutilations
Abortions
etc.

Abortion is just always such a big topic that is where it is most used. But pro-choice is not an abortion only term.

Maybe in your world.

Ask ten adults what pro-choice refers to.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The term "Pro-Choice" has always been used (in politics) to refer to those who believe a woman should be able to choose what she wants to do with her body.

Of course, I expect a simple mind like incorruptible to think that "Pro-Choice" actually refers to any and everything...even though its been specifically used in abortion debates.

You want me to die? The tolerant left at it again

No, I think he is just wishing that you never existed at all.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think if Repuglicants could determine Political affiliation in the womb they would ALL be Pro-choice too!

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Maybe in your world.

Ask ten adults what pro-choice refers to.

Yes, adults... people who are uninformed about half of what goes on in politics.

Smoking, is pro-choice.
Drinking, is pro-choice.

Abortions are just so normally talked about with pro-choice, that people beleive that is the ONLY thing pro-choice refers to. However that is incorrect. Whether you want to believe it or not is your choice.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
This is the truth, Democrats want women to have abortions if they want but then expect men to pay for women's welfare?

So women should have the right to an abortion since its their choice but men dont have a choice in paying the welfare

Most human societies decided looooooooooooooong ago that a man bears equal responsibility for the welfare of their offspring.

Abortion has no relation to this notion.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The term "Pro-Choice" has always been used (in politics) to refer to those who believe a woman should be able to choose what she wants to do with her body.

Of course, I expect a simple mind like incorruptible to think that "Pro-Choice" actually refers to any and everything...even though its been specifically used in abortion debates.

Issue with this is, if I only use "smoke" in smoking debates. Taht means smoke is only abotu smoking. And smoke from a campfire is not smoke, because it isn't abotu smoking.

Pro-choice is not about one having total freedom to choose things, it is ones right to choose what goes on with their body. Whether it be abortions, piercings or mutilations.

But since abortion is the only thing of the body that is not currently pro-choice, people argue that fact on abortion more than anything. So people only correlate pro-choice to abortion and not any/all body manipulations.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Yes, adults... people who are uninformed about half of what goes on in politics.

Smoking, is pro-choice.
Drinking, is pro-choice.

Abortions are just so normally talked about with pro-choice, that people beleive that is the ONLY thing pro-choice refers to. However that is incorrect. Whether you want to believe it or not is your choice.

Are you Cybrsage's alt?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Smoking, is pro-choice.
Drinking, is pro-choice.

Sorry, when have you ever seen the term "Pro-Choice" being associated with drinking or smoking in Politics? We all know that choosing to do something means you have a choice...but what is being said here in the OP by someone with a slice of Pepperoni Pizza for a brain is that Democrats are "Pro-Choice" about abortion, but not gungho for other things like "schools of choice" (another political term), drinking, smoking, etc.

Maybe you should go to a populated area in your town and ask a few people what comes to mind when they think of the term "Pro-Choice". If they say anything other than abortion, I will send you a box of cookies.

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

Smoking, is pro-choice.
Drinking, is pro-choice.

Hehehehehe, and most people think "googol" is a big number.

Trying to get cute with semantics doesnt make your argument for you.