How much do you think the average guy can bench press?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Given their first try? I'd say 75~80 lbs. Given a LITTLE practice and a few helpful pointers (or letting them use a Nautilus)? About 100~125 lbs. Free weights take a bit of technique... and some getting used to.

I know technique played a huge difference in my "max" weight when I was in high school bulking up to play offensive line. It had nothing to do with "strength"... but when I had some better instruction, my "max" went up in virtually every lift by varying amounts (some as little as 10%, some as much as 30%).

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Depends on the rep speed. Form. Are they wearing a bench shirt? Grip. Dumbells or Barbell? But I'm going to saw ~ 100 barbell BP because I saw some guy today who was struggling with 65.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: M0oG0oGaiPan
Depends on the rep speed. Form. Are they wearing a bench shirt? Grip. Dumbells or Barbell? But I'm going to saw ~ 100 barbell BP because I saw some guy today who was struggling with 65.
Bench shirts are ghey! Rep speed generally you're allowed to do whatever speed you are most comfortable with as long as you go all the way down and don't bounce off your rips (AKA the Amused-lift). This would assume barbell too.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Let's see, first time I really started benched I did 85x10, couple of sets. That wasn't too hard. At age 19, 5'9, 150, I was not a big guy at all. Pretty darn skinny. Didn't exercise prior to that. That was enough to leave me sore. I remember trying to max 135 at age 14 and feeling like the weight was going to crush me. Needed a spotter to help it up. And at age 19 it took me a few months to work to 135x10, and it was way hard.

So if I considered myself average, then I would guess that since I did 85x10 my first time, I might be able to safely max between 105 and 115.

dfi

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Since the average guy does not work out 5 days a week, I seriously doubt he could bench anything over 90 lbs doing at least 3 reps. It takes physical training, not just strength, to do bench presses consecutively.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I'd say based on the past 70 something posts in the thread, here is the wrong place to ask :)

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
This depends on how big the average guy weighs in the first place, height, was he active in the first place, etc. Too many variables to assign a number to

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
This depends on how big the average guy weighs in the first place, height, was he active in the first place, etc. Too many variables to assign a number to
That's why he said average, you bitch!

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001

But certainly you can still find an average by asking enough people, no? Just like you can find an average for age, weight, height, and activity level among the population.

Um, I like Skoorb's answer better. Change mine to that.

dfi

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
When I started bench pressing in high school, I got about 85.

Right now I'm about 120. But that's after working at it for that last 6 months. I'm weak. :(

bbrontosaurus

Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
I just got a home gym (see other thread of mine) and was able to do 120lbs without hurting myself. If I went to do a max, I could probably get in the 170lb range.

I think I'm 'bout average.

Is your home gym an assisted machine (cables and such)? Are you benching with free weights (bar, weight plates, bench)? You will be able to bench more on an assisted machine than you would with free weights.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the original question needs to specify whether its benching free weights or benching using a machine. I'd like to think of myself as an average guy who really doesn't work out very often. I tried to get into it a year ago, but that didn't really last very long. I'm not weak, but not strong. Using a machine, I think I could bench like 120 or something. Using free weights I couldn't even get 90lbs up.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Is your home gym an assisted machine (cables and such)? Are you benching with free weights (bar, weight plates, bench)? You will be able to bench more on an assisted machine than you would with free weights.

Depends on the machine. I can only do about 2/3 the weight on a Bowflex than I can with freeweights (barbell, not dumbells).

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
when i took a weightlifting class in college
i noticed that most men could do 100-150 lbs. at first,
although a couple of guys could do > 225 lbs.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: M0oG0oGaiPan
Bench shirts are ghey! Rep speed generally you're allowed to do whatever speed you are most comfortable with as long as you go all the way down and don't bounce off your rips (AKA the Amused-lift). This would assume barbell too.

:p

For your info, I never bounce the bar. In fact, because of a limited range of motion in my shoulders combined with very long arms, the bottom of my bench is about 3 inches off my chest. When I busted my rib, I couldn't get the last rep up, and lightly set the bar on my chest as I called out for a spot. Apparently, 235 lbs is past the weight limit of that particular rib.

:p

snidy1

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2003
A man should be able to bench his own weight without working out. But I would say an average man can bench 100 to 125. My weight is 270 and I can only press 210, but when I was working out I could press 320.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: snidy1
A man should be able to bench his own weight without working out. But I would say an average man can bench 100 to 125. My weight is 270 and I can only press 210, but when I was working out I could press 320.

that is also based on Lean Muscle mass and not actual weight for a one time max effort.

The average male can probably get about 145 up once if he really tried, assuming he is fit and about 160-170lbs....

Also don't think all bars at the gym are 45lbs, I have encounted some that weight 55lbs and some that weigh closer to 30ish. Still I don't get stuck on what weight I am using, but rather I am struggling at the end and that I regularly add more every few workouts.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dfi

But certainly you can still find an average by asking enough people, no? Just like you can find an average for age, weight, height, and activity level among the population.

dfi

Well would you like to contribute an average age, weight, height, and activity level so I can give an answer? No? Ok then.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: dfi

dfi

Well would you like to contribute an average age, weight, height, and activity level so I can give an answer? No? Ok then.

Well isn't that part of the question, for you to assume what average is? And therefore all the stuff above, you need to assume on your own. This isn't a scientific study, so there is no need to be precise as long as you can qualify what average person means to you. I am assuming that the average male is around 5'9, in his 30s, about 175 lbs, and does zero activity, and therefore based on those assumptions I think the average max bench is around 100-120lbs. You have to come up with your own opinion of what "average" is for this question. You can use my opinion of average to come up with a number if you really have no idea whatsoever. If your opinion of average differs greatly from the consensus of the others, then that can be the topic of a new thread.

dfi

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
The first time I lifted I struggled with around 100lbs. After 2-3 workouts and learning to control the bar I was up to 135. Right now, without having lifted in almost a year I could probably lift 2x10 with 155. I am 5'10 165lbs.

I am going to say the average guy never having lifted before can lift around 100lbs with normal motivation, probably a bit more if trying to show off.