How much did you make straight out of college?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I made 30k in my first full-time job, which was not related to my degree. I'm getting a master's degree which will allow me to earn slightly more in a field that is related to my degree (master's, not bachelor's). I'm happy with it.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: thirtythree
I made 30k in my first full-time job, which was not related to my degree. I'm getting a master's degree which will allow me to earn slightly more in a field that is related to my degree (master's, not bachelor's). I'm happy with it.

You must be a liberal arts major. :laugh:

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Depends where you live, but started at 36k then switched jobs after 8 months (first was a temp spot) and moved up to 55k

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

You must be a liberal arts major. :laugh:
I majored in psychology, started a master's program in counseling which I did not care for, and am now starting a master's program in library science.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
If you are a philosophy major then 6 bucks/hour at McDonalds is what you can expect.

False. It depends on what you are looking to do and how much experience you have.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: R Nilla
If you are a philosophy major then 6 bucks/hour at McDonalds is what you can expect.

False. It depends on what you are looking to do and how much experience you have.

Thats an exageration, but the point is accurate. Philosophy and Psychology.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

I actually had a philosophy professor that said the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach philosophy, but he was probably half kidding and so was I.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Let's try not to bag on people's degree and career choices. As true as some of your points may be, try to remember this is someone's life. No one wants to be told their accomplishments are not as worthy as someone elses. Just be kind.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006

I actually had a philosophy professor that said the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach philosophy, but he was probably half kidding and so was I.

As a philosophy major, I would agree. Although I think a background in philosophy is helpful in everyday life to a certain extent, that alone isn't going to get you any high-paying jobs.

Unitary

Dec 7, 2006
University Assistant Professor and it pays in the mid 50's. It seems low for someone with a Ph.D., but academics nearly always pays crap (as compared to similarly qualified industry jobs) and it's only 9 month's of work each year. One big plus, however, is the health/retirement benefits. They're awesome! And most of all, I love my job!

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

As a philosophy major, I would agree. Although I think a background in philosophy is helpful in everyday life to a certain extent, that alone isn't going to get you any high-paying jobs.

I wasn't saying it's useless and I took many philosophy classes because they help build logic, something that is helpful when programming computers (what I actually got my degree in).

Plus those classes were a lot more fun than taking the other elective choices....

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Let's try not to bag on people's degree and career choices. As true as some of your points may be, try to remember this is someone's life. No one wants to be told their accomplishments are not as worthy as someone elses. Just be kind.

You're right. To each their own. The most important thing is that the person is happy with what they do.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
12K a year straight out of college. I don't have any idea how I survived with that.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

You're right. To each their own. The most important thing is that the person is happy with what they do.

I would rather be happy and make 20k then be miserable and make 100k. In my opinion, choosing a degree based on what will make you money is not a good idea.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

I would rather be happy and make 20k then be miserable and make 100k. In my opinion, choosing a degree based on what will make you money is not a good idea.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I happy life with $75K is better than a miserable and stressfull life making $100K. But sometimes, you just have to suck it up if you want to be successfull. In the example you provided, I would rather make $100K and be unhappy with my job than make $20K and be happy.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ZetaEpyon
$44k in technical writing (grad 05)
What do you do?
If I remember my technical writing class correctly, probably writing manuals and other technnical documents.
Yes, I was wondering what in particular he writes.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I happy life with $75K is better than a miserable and stressfull life making $100K. But sometimes, you just have to suck it up if you want to be successfull. In the example you provided, I would rather make $100K and be unhappy with my job than make $20K and be happy.
:confused:

Are you supporting others?