How much did you make straight out of college?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Sometimes it scares me the number of CS majors that work in Software Engineering around here. CS major Software Engineer 42k . May end up going back for PhD.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Connoisseur
Originally posted by: Svnla
Originally posted by: exdeath
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
You guys have made me feel a lot better about my out-of-college starting salary of $60k.

When I read some of the other salary threads it sounded like everyone and their uncle made $182,024.00 a year plus benefits.

I felt kinda lame, especially since my girlfriend is in optometry and will probably start at like $90k =)

There is NOTHING wrong with starting at $60k! I have 8 years experience as an industrial engineer, and am proud of my $65k salary (even though it's on the low side). You can't compare yourself to people who make more. Just remember, you're in something like the top 10% of wage earners. (Would like to see actual statistics on that.) $60k is awesome!

No kidding. Starting at $60k? I think most people here would be happy to be making $60k PERIOD.

BTW notice how the people on ATOT who always have the latest and greatest in their daily updated sigs like quad video cards and dual 30" displays, a brand new corvette every 3 months, etc, never post in the 'how much do you make?' threads? Don't be put down by the BS. The difference between saying you make 60k or 600k is just one more key to press.

Look like I am not the only one who is tired of all the BS.

OP, here is a link for you.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/04/pf/college/grads_salaries/index.htm?cnn=yes

You can go to salary.com and other websites. Keep it mind the number depends greatly on where you live and other factors. Don't take the information as gospel.

For some of you that read this whole thread, I was refered to this thread.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=38&threadid=2020496&enterthread=y

You decide whether it is hard to believe or not, especially the ones that make over 100K before they were even 20 years old. Must be somekind of Doogie Howser, M.D. ;)

BTW, look at my post in that thread, I never said none of that were true, but I seriously doubted the numbers in the poll. As of right now, no one PM me of how they got so well compensated in such an early age.

Dude as an FYI, I know MANY MANY people who make 6 figures out of college/early to mid 20's. A friend of mine (VERY smart admiteddly) got a MS from Cornell at age 22 and works at Google... starting salary out of college was like 95k plus 20k bonus. Know MANY people who went into investment banking who make that kind of money (100k-200k) easy. Keep in mind, Ibanking is like working 2 1/2 jobs but still. It all depends on where you live. Me, I graduated in '05 with a BS in Computer Engineering. Made 48k right out of college. I'm with the same company and I now make 79k + 10k bonus. Next year I hope to break the 6 figure mark if all goes well at the age of 24. It's the NY lifestyle. Make f**ktons of money and spend it all on overpriced housing and expensive drinking habits. :)

Duuuudddeeee.....Ok, I will say it again <hopefully the last time>. I never ever said it wasn't true or the whole thing is all bs <don't take my word for it, read that old thread and my replies>. I said that I found it very hard to believe at the numbers, ESPECIALLY THE ONES that make 100K or more BEFORE they are EVEN old enoug to drink <the ones in the poll said before 20 years old, NOT early to mid 20s...repeat...NOT early to mid 20s>.

You bring a good point about Ibanker. If you make 100K and work 80 hours, then you are making about the same guy with 50K for 40 hrs work week <if everything are equal such as opportunity to move up, prestige, etc.>. I am not jealous or bashing anyone. If you making big bucks, good for you. Just don't come in here and talk sh1t out of your mouth and have nothing to back it up <and I am not the only one feels that way>.

Mentat

Oct 3, 2006
Originally posted by: patentman
I made $32256 straight out of college (BS in chemistry) as a physical scientist at the Naval Research Lab in 1999.

I now make ~$120k as a patent law professional (not an attorney yet, but will be soon).

I have mixed feelings about lawyers. I know starting lawyers outta law school that make 100k plus, I just have to question how warranted that 100k+ is. . .are starting lawyers really giving back to society that much? or are they just sucking hella money?

purepolly

Sep 27, 2002
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
<----- graduates in a couple weeks

<-----ER Nurse....between 50K(no overtime) and 65K(if i wanna kill myself with OT)

However full benefits 30 days after I start, dont have to pay any deductible on my health insurance, 2 weeks vacation but I only work 3-4 days a week anyways. :D

Good luck on the NClex! Have you started prepping yet?

And for me...

Med-Surg Nurse - started with a base of 48K (actually translated to 60K for the first year) in '05. 5 weeks wacation/2weeks sick