How is this racist people ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001

i watched this and i thought the cops acted very well, and with quite a lot of restrain. i have a strong dislike (didn't want to say hate) for cops in general, but sh1t, they had all the right in the world to defend themselves. they didn't draw their weapons or hit him in the head at all. they seemed to act proffesionally.

i find it messed up that it became such big news because it was a big black guy. if it was a big white (think hells angels) guy, it would not have made the national news.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Here we go!

If Nathaniel Jones had been a black bear instead of a Black man, he'd still be alive today!

Hmm or maybe if a black bear charged and attacked a police officer they would have shot it? Naah that doesn't sound as cool.

Maybe if the community got 1/10 as disturbed about rampant drug use and black-on-black violence in their community as they did this accidental heart attack, they'd do some good.

Ohio residents complain

"They talk about Skip like he was an animal," she said. "He wasn't. Skipper was just a good old, fat jolly fellow. He wasn't violent."
Except when he loaded himself up on PCP, cocaine and METHANOL?? Then he wasn't quite so jolly.

And the australian jumps in with a little sensationalism: Officers beat black man to death

And here's Jesse!
Black civil rights leader Jesse Jackson called yesterday for state and federal authorities to investigate the beating. "Police officers have options available to immobilise citizens short of death," he said.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Heh, I agree that most of these people are taking it way too far. This is not even half as bad as the Rodney King situation.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
Here we go!

If Nathaniel Jones had been a black bear instead of a Black man, he'd still be alive today!

Hmm or maybe if a black bear charged and attacked a police officer they would have shot it? Naah that doesn't sound as cool.

Maybe if the community got 1/10 as disturbed about rampant drug use and black-on-black violence in their community as they did this accidental heart attack, they'd do some good.

Ohio residents complain

"They talk about Skip like he was an animal," she said. "He wasn't. Skipper was just a good old, fat jolly fellow. He wasn't violent."
Except when he loaded himself up on PCP, cocaine and METHANOL?? Then he wasn't quite so jolly.

And the australian jumps in with a little sensationalism: Officers beat black man to death

And here's Jesse!
Black civil rights leader Jesse Jackson called yesterday for state and federal authorities to investigate the beating. "Police officers have options available to immobilise citizens short of death," he said.

Maybe, but perhaps he became violent due to Police aggressiveness? Some drugs can make a person aggressive, but not necessarily. What is true is that drugs or alcohol can affect one's perception and judgement, in such a situation how the Police(or others) act can make the difference between a peaceful or violent end to the situation.

Just to answer the thread titles question: I don't think this issue/situation is racist in and of itself, however, if this community has a high incedence of these types of Police situations(don't know if it does or not) then Racism could very well be an issue. I think there needs to be a distinction as to what "racism" is and how it manifests itself.

Racism can be in many forms, the 2 most prevalent forms being 1)Sytemic Racism and 2) Racial Hatred

Systemic Racism is kinda benign, usually just holding one race as inferior in some fashion. The attitude of Racial Inferiority results in the System treating the Inferior Race in a different fashion than (an)other Race(s).

Racial Hatred is more violent, a good example being the KKK or Nazi Germany. This type of Racism seeks to eliminate the other race due to fear of some perceived weakness or defect. If Genocide is the only solution in the mind of this Racist, that is an attractive solution, for in their mind, the Race is sub-human.

Racism takes many other forms though, in fact, we all likely have some Racist tendencies. Part of the problem when the charge of "Racism" is raised is people's perception of the word itself. Many people automatically evoke thoughts of the KKK, water cooler conspiracies, or some other extreme shenanigans going on outside of the public view. Others know this isn't the case and react with the rolleyes then blame the people raising the charge for some peoples ridiculous assumptions. Despite that, the charge of "Racism" may be very well founded, only an investigation(providing a series of questionable events)can determine whether "Racism" is a factor or not.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Just because someone acts stupid towards you, it doesn't make sense for you to throw your life away. Just walk away and go on with your life. Racism will always be there. How you react to it will determine your course in life. Even if the cops called him all kinds of names, he should have just walked away. Oh, wait a minute! He was high on drugs, now, wasn't he?

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
He was hit in the hit in the leg/butt, if the cops hit him in the head/chest okay then maybe they would be responsible. He was a fat guy on drugs with an enlarged heart he would probably died quicker if he ran away.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: matt426malm
He was hit in the hit in the leg/butt, if the cops hit him in the head/chest okay then maybe they would be responsible. He was a fat guy on drugs with an enlarged heart he would probably died quicker if he ran away.

Funny that someone on this thread actually wondered why they didn't hit him on the head.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
It bothers me that if this person was white ... it would not be news.

The guy assaulted several police officers and had to be dealt with..

but I also believe that if you try to outrun a cop with your automobile that it should be legal for them to use deadly force to stop you and your vehicle.