How do you think Intel will segment its Coffee Lake desktop line-up?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I am redoing all three of my gaming rigs, my HTPC, and my mobile devices, plus a OLED TV this year. All on the latest standards (HDCP2.2, etc). I know tons of people who WANT to update their hardware in their houses too, but are waiting for the Industry to decide and provide these new standards. Ergo, I might build 4 PCs this year.

I was considering doing a new HTPC, but after the stunt they've pulled with UHD bluray DRM*, I've settled for a far more modest update. Another Athlon 845 will replace the 6800K and a basic GT710 for display output, since it doesn't have an IGP.

I might add a Radeon 550, or the rumoured GT1030, when there are good low-profile versions available.

*You need both a ix Kaby Lake CPU w/ HD630, UHD drive with AACS 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and Intel SGX. If I really cared, it'd be easier just to buy an Xbox...

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
I was considering doing a new HTPC, but after the stunt they've pulled with UHD bluray DRM*, I've settled for a far more modest update. Another Athlon 845 will replace the 6800K and a basic GT710 for display output, since it doesn't have an IGP.
I'm missing something. Are you saying Carizzo is the only FM2+ CPU that allows UHD Bluray playback?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'm missing something. Are you saying Carizzo is the only FM2+ CPU that allows UHD Bluray playback?

Nope. I'm saying I'm not going to bother trying to live up to arbitrary DRM requirements. The people behind UHD blu-rays have succeeded in making legal viewing almost impossible on a PC.

I'll simply not support such a format.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
Nope. I'm saying I'm not going to bother trying to live up to arbitrary DRM requirements. The people behind UHD blu-rays have succeeded in making legal viewing almost impossible on a PC.

I'll simply not support such a format.
why then are you planning to ditch the richland for an 845 + GT710? Just curious.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
why then are you planning to ditch the richland for an 845 + GT710? Just curious.

Well, no reason in particular, other then I got a very good deal on that 845. And a desire for some tinkering. I already have an 845 in another system, and I'm quite impressed with it. Performance wise, it more-or-less equal to the 6800K, and that's using slower memory (9-9-9-24@1866 vs 11-13-13-30@2400) and having a 600MHz frequency deficiency.

Already got the 710 too, so that'll just be a re-purpose. It has slightly better driver support too, since AMD has effectively abandoned everything using the TeraScale architecture.