How do you call in sick?

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
When you call in sick for work, what do you say (either if you have to leave a message or speak to a person). Do you tell them your problem, or do you just say, I'm sick and wont be coming in. ? Is there an unwritten rule that you have to state what is wrong with you or something like that? Is it unprofessional to just say "I'm sick and wont be coming in". ?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Email. I don't provide much in the way of details. It's not really their business. Plus, I'm generally lying anyway.

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Pick up the phone.
Tell them your having major surgery.
You won't be able to make it in until tomorrow.
Take the day off to look in your local yellow pages to see if anyone is giving lessons on comon sense.
Go to that class.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Say what you want when you call in. Most people won't believe you anyways.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
pick up phone.
tell receptionist, "i feel sick, i'm not coming in. kthxbie."
hang up phone.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Hi Peter, I'm not feeling too good. Don't thinkI'll make it in today.
*reply of either "we'll miss ya" or "get better"
Ok, thanks. bye

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
the worst is when you have your little speech ready for your boss's voicemail and he picks up the phone instead. happened to me yesterday, I didn't know he would get in a half hour early :(

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Since I usually don't get sick......I'll call around midnight so I get my bosses voice mail and leave a message on there.

DorkBoy

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
I just call in and say I won't be in due to being sick.
My employer cannot ask questions, I always win:)

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
I tell my boss, "Man, I'm feeling like sh!t today. I wouldn't get any work done if I came in. See you tomorrow." He says, "Get some sleep. See you tomorrow."

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: saxophonoia
Since I usually don't get sick......I'll call around midnight so I get my bosses voice mail and leave a message on there.

My company's voicemail system tells the time of the call. Calling at 12AM would be kinda shady for me to do...

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
I call and tell them the truth. "I'm sick with a sinus/migraine headache and can't come in."

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Yossarian
the worst is when you have your little speech ready for your boss's voicemail and he picks up the phone instead. happened to me yesterday, I didn't know he would get in a half hour early :(

LMAO. Yeah, I rehearse my speech then leave a message on my boss's v.m. and I know how to do it without her phone even ringing. I could be on my death bed and still feel like she thinks I am lying when I have to speak personally to her later for something or when I leave my message. I hate it. LOL.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: RishiS

My company's voicemail system tells the time of the call. Calling at 12AM would be kinda shady for me to do...

Yeah, ours time stamps too so that might look a little suspicious.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
It is customary in my department to ask anyone that called in sick the day before how their interview was.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I don't think they want the details of your explosive diarrhea, so just tell them you're sick and won't be coming in.

;)

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: RishiS

Yeah they can do that here too but they actually have to press some other numbers to do it so they usually don't bother to check.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Generally, the more professional your workplace, the less they care whether you're really sick or not, and the less info they'll need to be satisfied.

Now, if you're working a job where your position needs to be covered, they'll be more annoyed.

Oh, and the lower the pay, the more abusive/fascist they'll be about the whole thing. Some low-life "manager" who makes barely any more money than you might go on a power trip and call you at home to verify that you're really sick (and "write you up" if you don't answer the phone), or tell you to bring in a note from a doctor. (That doctor's note one is absolute BS, and I don't think it actually holds water. Do you go to the doctor every time you have some stomach ailment or a headache?)

No matter what, don't make any sort of habit of calling in sick, especially if you don't have any sick time you can use. It just makes you look bad.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
I've heard of some bosses that ask for details when you call in sick, to make sure that you are really are sick etc.

Thsi is great, was just trying to see if what I was telling them was "common" (first job outta school) or if it stood out from the standard and hence was easily detected as being fake ;)

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I e-mail him, but I can do my job remotely so it is no big deal. I e-mail the people who work for me and dole out the $hit jobs :D

Sysadmin

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I don't fake being sick.
In fact, I usually come in to work even when I feel like crap.
But on the rare occasion when I am actually sick enough to not come to work, I still have this feeling that they will think I'm lying.