How come black people use "were" and "was" incorrectly all the time?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: jpbushido99
Well I guess everyone's experiences are different. I like to think of these institutions as a vial that?s been pulled over everyone?s eyes. Think about it, why hasn't there ever been a president other than a white man, what there are no other qualified candidates, or why are like 90% of the top fortune 500 company executives white men, like a small percentage is white women. Think there are no institutions; think about Trent Lott, the ex-republican house leader. He has cousins in the more conservative KKK, he has been a key player in perpetuating certain American ideals. He has roots in the rural segregationist south. Think there aren't more people like him with power, huh, it may not be a conspiracy, but something is definitely foul in America. I am at work so I can't elaborate much, but if you want to talk more about this stuff I will give you my info. I have done some research on these matters and it has definitely opened my mind.

There are more like Lott in power than you may think. How about Senator Robert Byrd, (D)West Virginia? Former KKK member. One of the, if not the biggest pork barrel procurers there is.

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002
Why then should the networks be obligated to do things that they know will return less profit. We have all heard about the millions of dollars spent to research advertising. If they thought that depicting the rainbow would return maximum profits it would be done, but why force them to lose money just to keep everyone happy.[/quote]

to carry your analogy farther, for korean foods, we've always gone to korean grocery stores (BET) even tho we were often forced to drive up to 1 hour out of our way. did we ever make it a point of "Racism" that our local grocery stores didn't carry "Korean" foods??? of course not, that would have been ludicrous.[/quote]

I disagree there are many blacks who would probably watch more shows if they weren't so negatively portrayed or portrayed at all. I mean you guys see nothing wrong that most shows are all white, nothing wrong at all? I mean if all blacks were on TV then I am sure that whites and others would be like, wait a minute why are there no whites on TV, are we not good enough, and when we are on TV why are we put in roles that are inconsistent with the majority of us. I have white friends that were really pissed when they saw mostly black people dancing in Zion -- they were like there aren't any white people in Zion? I don't know I guess I am hypersensitive to many things here in America, I guess if I was apart of the majority I would feel differently also.

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002
There are more like Lott in power than you may think. How about Senator Robert Byrd, (D)West Virginia? Former KKK member. One of the, if not the biggest pork barrel procurers there is.[/quote]

Right every time someone tells me that America is about equality, and justice, I tell them to do some research about the laws that are passed in this country, look at the prosecutions and the amount of people that are in jail, look at the unemployment rates and the housing zoning districts ? look at our politicians, and our leaders. Look at the evidence that is around but no one wants to truly see. I am in college and I know these International students who are Chinese, and they say that they are looking for an All American guy, and I ask them what?s All American, they tell me Blond Hair and Blue Eyes. I don?t know I have always thought I was all American but I don?t have any of those attributes. Is there something wrong with me, or is there something wrong with America? Just ranting.

FatJackSprat

May 16, 2003
I disagree there are many blacks who would probably watch more shows if they weren't so negatively portrayed or portrayed at all. I mean you guys see nothing wrong that most shows are all white, nothing wrong at all? I mean if all blacks were on TV then I am sure that whites and others would be like, wait a minute why are there no whites on TV, are we not good enough, and when we are on TV why are we put in roles that are inconsistent with the majority of us. I have white friends that were really pissed when they saw mostly black people dancing in Zion -- they were like there aren't any white people in Zion? I don't know I guess I am hypersensitive to many things here in America, I guess if I was apart of the majority I would feel differently also.

Do you honestly believe that blacks are still only given roles as criminals or degenerates? That's not what I see, but I don't watch very much tv. In fact, much of what see look like carefully planned compositions. Commercials with one black, one asian, one woman, and a white guy. I really don't think that blacks are only given stereotypical roles.

I don't know that you would feel differently, I currently live in a area that is 79% black and I am white. I know what it feels like to often be the minority, literally. I know the looks and see the stares and it still hasn't changed my mind about business.

We should not be encouraging the govt to dictate how we act. That's exactly what forcing quotas on businesses does. What people don't often realize is that a civil rights law that achieves a good result today can sometimes be used to achieve purposes other than its intent later. My point has been that the govt should not tell people how to run a business. I don't deny the existence of prejudice - by all races - but I don't think the govt should be asked to control us.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Why then should the networks be obligated to do things that they know will return less profit. We have all heard about the millions of dollars spent to research advertising. If they thought that depicting the rainbow would return maximum profits it would be done, but why force them to lose money just to keep everyone happy.

to carry your analogy farther, for korean foods, we've always gone to korean grocery stores (BET) even tho we were often forced to drive up to 1 hour out of our way. did we ever make it a point of "Racism" that our local grocery stores didn't carry "Korean" foods??? of course not, that would have been ludicrous.[/quote]

I disagree there are many blacks who would probably watch more shows if they weren't so negatively portrayed or portrayed at all. I mean you guys see nothing wrong that most shows are all white, nothing wrong at all? I mean if all blacks were on TV then I am sure that whites and others would be like, wait a minute why are there no whites on TV, are we not good enough, and when we are on TV why are we put in roles that are inconsistent with the majority of us. I have white friends that were really pissed when they saw mostly black people dancing in Zion -- they were like there aren't any white people in Zion? I don't know I guess I am hypersensitive to many things here in America, I guess if I was apart of the majority I would feel differently also.[/quote]

Weird, I consider myself part of the ASIAN minority, so how does your statement about "if i was apart of the majority I would feel differently also" apply??

are you stereotyping me as part of the majority? i find that to be offensive and discriminatory.

FatJackSprat

May 16, 2003
There are more like Lott in power than you may think. How about Senator Robert Byrd, (D)West Virginia? Former KKK member. One of the, if not the biggest pork barrel procurers there is.

Right every time someone tells me that America is about equality, and justice, I tell them to do some research about the laws that are passed in this country, look at the prosecutions and the amount of people that are in jail, look at the unemployment rates and the housing zoning districts ? look at our politicians, and our leaders. Look at the evidence that is around but no one wants to truly see. I am in college and I know these International students who are Chinese, and they say that they are looking for an All American guy, and I ask them what?s All American, they tell me Blond Hair and Blue Eyes. I don?t know I have always thought I was all American but I don?t have any of those attributes. Is there something wrong with me, or is there something wrong with America? Just ranting.[/quote]

As far as the number of prosecutions and people in jail.

To imply that black people are wrongfully in jail implies four scenarios.

1.) A white is robbed (any crime) by a white and doesn't call the police because the criminal was white.

2.) A white is robbed by a white and calls the police, who do not pursue justice because the suspect is white.

3.) A white is robbed by a white and calls the police, who choose to arrest a black instead.

4.) A white is robbed by a white, calls the police who arrest the suspect, but when he gets to court, the court chooses not to prosecute because the accused is white.

These are all ridiculous assumptions.

1.) If somebody steals my wallet, I am calling the cops regardless of his race.

2. and 3.) If I call the cops and they don't do anything to get the true criminal I am going to complain.

4.) If the cops do their job but court puts the criminal back into society, I will complain and the police will complain.

How then are more blacks wrongfully imprisioned? What would be the sequence of events that would cause a black to be intentionally put in prision for a crime that he didn't commit and with such regularity that it causes a significant disproportion of imprisionments among the races?

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002

Do you honestly believe that blacks are still only given roles as criminals or degenerates? That's not what I see, but I don't watch very much tv. In fact, much of what see look like carefully planned compositions. Commercials with one black, one asian, one woman, and a white guy. I really don't think that blacks are only given stereotypical roles.

I don't know that you would feel differently, I currently live in a area that is 79% black and I am white. I know what it feels like to often be the minority, literally. I know the looks and see the stares and it still hasn't changed my mind about business.

We should not be encouraging the govt to dictate how we act. That's exactly what forcing quotas on businesses does. What people don't often realize is that a civil rights law that achieves a good result today can sometimes be used to achieve purposes other than its intent later. My point has been that the govt should not tell people how to run a business. I don't deny the existence of prejudice - by all races - but I don't think the govt should be asked to control us.[/quote]

I of course don't believe that all blacks are typecast, but usually ulterior leading roles and the like are the exception and not the rule. Also I don't want the government to control anything dealing with TV there is way too much beaurocracy in the government to ever get something like sociological problems right. I am stating that there is a cancer in society and there are people with power perpetuating this cancer for their own needs. People should stop looking through a straw and try to see the whole picture.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FatJackSprat

Right every time someone tells me that America is about equality, and justice, I tell them to do some research about the laws that are passed in this country, look at the prosecutions and the amount of people that are in jail, look at the unemployment rates and the housing zoning districts ? look at our politicians, and our leaders. Look at the evidence that is around but no one wants to truly see. I am in college and I know these International students who are Chinese, and they say that they are looking for an All American guy, and I ask them what?s All American, they tell me Blond Hair and Blue Eyes. I don?t know I have always thought I was all American but I don?t have any of those attributes. Is there something wrong with me, or is there something wrong with America? Just ranting.

1.) A white is robbed (any crime) by a white and doesn't call the police because the criminal was white.

2.) A white is robbed by a white and calls the police, who do not pursue justice because the suspect is white.

3.) A white is robbed by a white and calls the police, who choose to arrest a black instead.

4.) A white is robbed by a white, calls the police who arrest the suspect, but when he gets to court, the court chooses not to prosecute because the accused is white.

2. and 3.) If I call the cops and they don't do anything to get the true criminal I am going to complain.

4.) If the cops do their job but court puts the criminal back into society, I will complain and the police will complain.

How then are more blacks wrongfully imprisioned? What would be the sequence of events that would cause a black to be intentionally put in prision for a crime that he didn't commit and with such regularity that it causes a significant disproportion of imprisionments among the races?[/quote]

You left out a few scenarios that did happen, when a white wrongs a black and the black calls the cops and the cops let it "slide".

that is part of our history.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Staley8
Well, let me go axe someone that I know.

LOL!!!!! Man thats not funny :) I get grilled on that all the time by whites. I do say axe. hehehehehehehe OMG! I don't know why I say it I just do. Good one. But to answer the question, in todays world no one regardless of color uses proper english :)

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002

Weird, I consider myself part of the ASIAN minority, so how does your statement about "if i was apart of the majority I would feel differently also" apply??

are you stereotyping me as part of the majority? i find that to be offensive and discriminatory.[/quote]

Sorry I didn't know that you were Asian; I thought that you might be white. I have Asian friends also, but my friends definitely know what I am talking about because their parents are bigoted, they have gained most of their perceptions of blacks from TV and so forth, and if I married their daughter and got into the family they would probably disown her. Not to mention that she isn't allowed to marry anyone other than another Asian. So I know for sure the bigotry is not limited to America, its everywhere. But I am only trying to make sense of a situation that affects me personally. Sorry for the rant.

FatJackSprat

May 16, 2003
Originally posted by: LeeTJ

How then are more blacks wrongfully imprisioned? What would be the sequence of events that would cause a black to be intentionally put in prision for a crime that he didn't commit and with such regularity that it causes a significant disproportion of imprisionments among the races?

You left out a few scenarios that did happen, when a white wrongs a black and the black calls the cops and the cops let it "slide".

that is part of our history.[/quote]

Yes, I agree that I left that one out.

However, I do not agree that it would at all account for the significant disparities in imprisionment among the races which are always attributed to race.

It's not strictly "white v. black" We have to remember that many civil rights activists are white. If blacks were calling the police for white on black crimes and nothing was being done, there would be a number of whites complaining. It's not at all a possibility that things would be allowed to slide to a degree that accounts for the fact that more blacks are in jail nationwide. There's also the nationwide factor, which would require that these actions of wrongfully imprisioning blacks happens everywhere.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003

are you stereotyping me as part of the majority? i find that to be offensive and discriminatory.

Sorry I didn't know that you were Asian; I thought that you might be white. I have Asian friends also, but my friends definitely know what I am talking about because their parents are bigoted, they have gained most of their perceptions of blacks from TV and so forth, and if I married their daughter and got into the family they would probably disown her. Not to mention that she isn't allowed to marry anyone other than another Asian. So I know for sure the bigotry is not limited to America, its everywhere. But I am only trying to make sense of a situation that affects me personally. Sorry for the rant.[/quote]

that is a completely different scenario than racism in america. your asking people that grew up in a totally homogeneous society to integrate with people of other races. my parents would not have approved of me marrying anyone NOT korean.

which brings up another interesting point, most other cultures (korean, japanese, chinese, Indian) are more predjudice than the US Culture. trust me, i spent 5 yrs in korea and because i was Korean-American and my Korean was not as perfect as theres, i faced more discrimination in the 5 years in korea than i had during my 30 years in the US.

homogenous cultures are more discriminatory than heterogeneous cultures.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

that is part of our history.

Yes, I agree that I left that one out.

However, I do not agree that it would at all account for the significant disparities in imprisionment among the races which are always attributed to race.

It's not strictly "white v. black" We have to remember that many civil rights activists are white. If blacks were calling the police for white on black crimes and nothing was being done, there would be a number of whites complaining. It's not at all a possibility that things would be allowed to slide to a degree that accounts for the fact that more blacks are in jail nationwide. There's also the nationwide factor, which would require that these actions of wrongfully imprisioning blacks happens everywhere.[/quote]

I dont know all of what you guys are talking about cause I didn't read the whole thread. There are a variety of reasons why there is such a vast disparity between races in jail. But this one thing has been backed by the study of crime numbers. Blacks do recieve more harsher and longer sentences than their white counterparts who commit the same crimes.

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002

How then are more blacks wrongfully imprisioned? What would be the sequence of events that would cause a black to be intentionally put in prision for a crime that he didn't commit and with such regularity that it causes a significant disproportion of imprisionments among the races?[/quote]

I know you may think that every person who goes to jail deserves it but sometimes the law can be corrupt, I should know I am a legal studies major, the whole legal system is set up to preserve ideologies that were formed way before we were born. Here are some links that may help you understand that color sometimes plays a role in jury decisions, such as if a black man is accused of raping a white women, or has killed a white person. There is a lot to read but its good info on the injustices of life. I am not saying that there aren?t blacks that do bad things, not at all, but I am saying that blacks are more likely to be jailed and represented poorly. Umm think about Oj/ Robert Blake both got off, but who received the most controversy, we both know who did it.

law

law

law

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Nothing condemns the LAPD more than when they arrested Joe Morgan at LAX. JOE MORGAN for pete's sake and this was at the PEAK of his career, one of the best 2nd basemen of all time and your telling me the LAPD didn't know who he was??

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002
I dont know all of what you guys are talking about cause I didn't read the whole thread. There are a variety of reasons why there is such a vast disparity between races in jail. But this one thing has been backed by the study of crime numbers. Blacks do recieve more harsher and longer sentences than their white counterparts who commit the same crimes.[/quote]

I know unfortunately there are people who think that bias isn?t an issue when it comes to law, but most laws are created because of bias, i.e. homosexual marriages, abortion, religious rights, etc. There is no homogeneity merely perception.

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002
Nothing condemns the LAPD more than when they arrested Joe Morgan at LAX. JOE MORGAN for pete's sake and this was at the PEAK of his career, one of the best 2nd basemen of all time and your telling me the LAPD didn't know who he was??

sorry wrong quotes I will repost

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002

that is a completely different scenario than racism in america. your asking people that grew up in a totally homogeneous society to integrate with people of other races. my parents would not have approved of me marrying anyone NOT korean.

which brings up another interesting point, most other cultures (korean, japanese, chinese, Indian) are more predjudice than the US Culture. trust me, i spent 5 yrs in korea and because i was Korean-American and my Korean was not as perfect as theres, i faced more discrimination in the 5 years in korea than i had during my 30 years in the US.

homogenous cultures are more discriminatory than heterogeneous cultures.[/quote]

Ok I am sorry for your experiences but we are not having a contest about whose more bigoted, we were talking about America and TV, and I think this form of media is just hurting Americans. As for the rest of the world, I understand places like India that have casts systems based on Hinduism and reincarnation, I don?t understand Asian bigotry there must be a lot rooted in history but what I do know is that its wrong, you shouldn?t discriminate we all essentially came from the same place, we may look a little different but that is immaterial and a moot point because on an evolutionary scale appearance should not affect us so. I guess in about 5 or 6 generations when the old school bigots die out the world may be different.

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002

homogenous cultures are more discriminatory than heterogeneous cultures.[/quote]

Also I believe people who still believe that they should marry some only based on their culture is a little off putting. Think about genetic diversity, it doesn't make sense, your just breeding in weakness rather than in a stronger species of humans. Also when you segregate yourselves think about the enormous amount of diversity that you?re missing out on. I believe that people are made up of many types of roles, why should you limit your self only because you look a certain way, its single minded and on an evolutionary scale backward thinking. I am not trying to preach, just something I would say to my Asian friend who thinks its ok to discriminate.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
As long as we are talking about it, why does EVERYONE misuse was and were?

Most people say:
I wish I was at the beach.

It is correct to say:
I wish I were at the beach.

There is a surprising amount of ignorance on this board. . .

FatJackSprat

May 16, 2003

I know you may think that every person who goes to jail deserves it but sometimes the law can be corrupt, I should know I am a legal studies major, the whole legal system is set up to preserve ideologies that were formed way before we were born. Here are some links that may help you understand that color sometimes plays a role in jury decisions, such as if a black man is accused of raping a white women, or has killed a white person. There is a lot to read but its good info on the injustices of life. I am not saying that there aren?t blacks that do bad things, not at all, but I am saying that blacks are more likely to be jailed and represented poorly. Umm think about Oj/ Robert Blake both got off, but who received the most controversy, we both know who did it.

law

law

law[/quote]

I just graduated with a JD and am studying for the bar right now (actually I'm not, which is why this has to be my last post so I don't fail) and I have some familiarity with the topic. :)

Anyway, I agree that it is possible blacks get harsher sentencing. BUT I would have to see an apples to apples comparison. Often, these figures are compiled by those trying to prove a point and leave out such important facts as repeat offenders, probationary status, or degrees of the individual crimes where applicable.

I took a class called White Collar Crime in law school. The professor provided us with a govt prepared chart presenting figures on imprisonment and for what crimes the imprisionment was for, broken down by race and gender. Also, the professor was a black woman, so there was no hokey pokey going on with the selection of the chart.

Basically, blacks are more likely to commit violent crimes which are much more disfavored by society and therefore carry harsher sentences. That has always been true (the harsher sentencing that is) - people just want to feel that their bodies will be safe. The charts we were presented with actually indicated hispanics as the most imprisioned group and some categories with whites as the majority class. It all depends on the crime.

If whites commit more crimes that carry less harsh sentencing what can we do? We can't ask whites to begin committing more violent crimes just to equalize statistics, can we? Should we impose harsher sentencing on these crimes traditionally held to be less serious than violent crimes, if so, why and with what justification?

As far as DNA evd. freeing people, I believe that when blacks are freed it is just given more attention. CNN and the NY Times are well known as liberally slanted. Just because black people are freed by DNA evidence doesn't mean that white people are not. Again, we are never given an apples to apples comparison.

(I have got to turn off my computer and study now, thanks for the interesting discussion)

jpbushido99

Nov 14, 2002
Originally posted by: LakAttack

Most people say:

It is correct to say:

If I'm doing it I'm sorry typeing fast and I am at work. I hope I am not one of the ignorant ones, I am just trying to show people that these problems do exist.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: LakAttack

Most people say:

It is correct to say:

If I'm doing it I'm sorry typeing fast and I am at work. I hope I am not one of the ignorant ones, I am just trying to show people that these problems do exist.

No one's grammar is expected to be correct on a message board. The ignorance to which I am refering is the idea that some people think race is to blame for "bad grammar."