How can I speed up this crutch best? (Celeron J1800)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
A little update on what has happened so far:

-Disabled every bit of fancy design/effect for Windows
-Disabled/Killed every service and process that he would not need...like ever.
-Basically stripped Windows 10 as bare as humanly possible (still can't get rid of Cortana though
-Tried the 8GB DDR3L module...doesn't work...going to trade that stick in and get him an additional 4GB module.

The change is actually apparent...even during typing on this site...before I did all that, the text would always lag behind by 500+ MS...this is no longer the case.

I can now open a youtube video AND have openOffice running at the same time without the system going bonkers (whoa! xD)

I don't think I can put Linux on this...he's the most basic user you can imagine...Linux would scare the hell out of him, I think. He's a grandma trapped in the body of a young guy.

I did tell him to get rid of the machine...but he doesn't want to. I told him I could get him something better...but I guess he's too scared ^^.
Also, turns out he paid $450 for a "set". The $5 keyboard+mouse and the VGA-only HD Monitor that he doesn't even use were part of the set.

Seriously though....do they even make VGA only monitors anymore? If naming and shaming is not allowed the mods can feel free to remove it...but the store is question is "otto.de"...some rather big German online shopping site...
Definitely not gonna buy anything from them XD.

Since the board also doesn't allow for any BCLK overclocking or anything like that...I think I have done everything I could. I thank everyone for their input!

P.S. Warframe now runs 1080P, all low, 30-60FPS, CS:GO and LoL are also playable. Since he doesn't care for graphic settings as long as he can play 1080P(big TV) he's happy.

Last edited:

know of fence

May 28, 2009
According to AT's bench the J1800 is pretty much the equal of the Athlon x2 4050 (2.1 GHz and 45 W TDP released in April.2008)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1228?vs=38

It's a pointless investment essentially buying 7 to 9 year old tech, and I've been recently contemplating a replacement for an Athlon x2 5050e from this generation, though paired with an SSD it still tollerable and can handle e-mail, Skype and video just fine.

In terms of Intel the Celeron seems on par with the 65nm Dual Core Pentium E2160 (1.8 GHz, 65 W), from late 2006. Both have been 60$ "office workstation" processors. 65-45-32-22 nm - that's 3 shrinks assuming halving of consumption every shrink: or 65 / (2³) = should be 8 W. We get 10W TDP on a smaller higher clocked core instead.

http://ark.intel.com/products/29739/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E2160-1M-Cache-1_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I was using recently the n2820 which is the same thing apart from 200Mhz lower boost clock, and it was really slow to install/update windows 10, once that is solved it usable if you expectations are low, but yes as the previous post mentions, you are basically on par with $50-$60 CPUs from 8+ years ago... it's ridiculous to use such thing other than maybe for a cheap tablet.

Aug 11, 2008
Agreed. At least in the US, even for a prebuilt you can get an i3 (close to i5 territory) or a higher end Kaveri for that price.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
P.S. Warframe now runs 1080P, all low, 30-60FPS, CS:GO and LoL are also playable. Since he doesn't care for graphic settings as long as he can play 1080P(big TV) he's happy.
This makes me the sads. Well, it has low peak power consumption. lol

No wonder PCs are in hell. Buy some cheap garbage like this, then pick up a snappier Apple product or a tablet with any OS, and those products seem like gods.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Still no mention of a big core Celeron. A G1820/40/50 with an H81 board and 8GB RAM is a dirt cheap foundation for a basic box anywhere.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I also think the big core Celeron is the answer for those who want the cheapest possible PC. Anything less is not even worthy of the form factor.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
If people are not gaming... they are not using their desktops anymore. None of my friends are (except for the gaming ones). There is not much interest in this anymore, I am afraid.

Too bad we can't DIY laptop PCs.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Ssd will speed it up now and give him something he can take to his next pc.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Only if you don't want to be able to use your DVD drive. At least, that was the problem that I had with any significant OCing on AM1.
Few and fewer people are using DVD drive.... so OC'ing the AM1 chip is not bad at all.

I also think the big core Celeron is the answer for those who want the cheapest possible PC. Anything less is not even worthy of the form factor.

Kill me and even the Big Core A4 is FAR better than those Small chips.

For me the list is like that:
Small Cores << OC AM1 << A4 << Celeron << A6 << SKL Celeron = OC A6 and so on....

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Kill me and even the Big Core A4 is FAR better than those Small chips.

For me the list is like that:
Small Cores << OC AM1 << A4 << Celeron << A6 << SKL Celeron = OC A6 and so on....
Consider that the Athlon 5350 barely edges out my old Thinkpad T510 with a 520M, and the reason not to give up too much for a desktop PC becomes clear. I've put a lot of people into used Sandy i5-2520M Thinkpad T420 machines for under $200, those little things will run circles around any small core CPU, even a newer quad.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I'm using a G1850 and while it is slower than a 4770 non K I had - loading pages spike the cores up to close to 100% and there is some hesitation unloading some tabs - I'd pocket the ~$280 or so difference and pick up another Celeron no hesitation. It is more than capable and is the faster cheap equivalent of an E8400, which itself is still more or less (just) capable for modern internetting.

I wouldn't pick up an A4 as its slower and sucks more juice unless it was substantially cheaper:

Power.png

Application_02.png

Application_03.png

Either way, its still very surprising that modern Celeron's are not in big OEM boxes. The sticker is now Intel inside and I doubt an everyday consumer would be any the wiser that they are using a Celeron as opposed to barely OK Bay Trail or Cherry Trail. It is enough for a basic box and still cheap.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Do the small core CPUs even need a fan? I'm guessing the savings for the OEMs are fairly substantial, less money for the CPU and the cooling solution, cheaper mobo since it's a SoC.

Aug 11, 2008
EDIT: Your buddy could have just bought this...https://www.otto.de/p/hyrican-pc-in...tion-pc-4970-513382628/#variationId=513382629

I wouldn't blame otto.de for this, they seem to have reasonable computers for a good price. User error :p

Weird pricing. Seems like everything is the same price whether you get a crap processor or not. Note that at the bottom of the page, they list a Skylake i3 for 449 as well, although it has only 4 gb of ram. I would actually be tempted to go for this, as the cpu is better and it is easy enough to upgrade the ram, the cpu not so much.

Aug 11, 2008
If people are not gaming... they are not using their desktops anymore. None of my friends are (except for the gaming ones). There is not much interest in this anymore, I am afraid.

Too bad we can't DIY laptop PCs.

I still use my desktop for basically everything. There is still nothing quite like a full size keyboard, big monitor, and power to spare.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Do the small core CPUs even need a fan? I'm guessing the savings for the OEMs are fairly substantial, less money for the CPU and the cooling solution, cheaper mobo since it's a SoC.

You may get away with passive on Atom. But Kabini needs active. A fan is also cheaper than a big passive heatsink so.... :)

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I still use my desktop for basically everything. There is still nothing quite like a full size keyboard, big monitor, and power to spare.
So do I.

The trend isn't looking though.

desktop.png

@escrow4

Ivy Bridge dual-cores were very good, and quite economical even compared to Skylake/Haswell. Got that G2020 myself. Very nice cpu for the money. Albeit, it can get a little slow even in web-browsing, depending how fast I use it, but it's bearable. I did even game on it until some games began to ask for >2T. I suspect, Larry's overclocked SKL Pentium is even better. Only one problem, it's still 2T and I've stopped buying 2T CPUs for a while now.

Last edited:

know of fence

May 28, 2009
So do I.

The trend isn't looking though.

desktop.png

The trend is phones and tablets may be a more portable replacement for < 14" notebooks, but they have nothing on desktop PCs.
The desktop-PC is fine, being more affordable and more long lived than ever. It's the notebooks that present a large spectrum of bad compromises and bad value. It's funny too, because they should have benefited the most from SSDs, die shrinks and the scrapping of optical drives.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I have a nas qnap ts 251 with a j1800 and it have no cpu fan but a fan for the entire cabinet. Ofcource this solution uses more power than the prior nas that had something like dual a9 at 800MHz but its also like 6 times as fast. Perfect cpu imo for a nas. Plenty of power all the time. Run this slim os fine. I can even make a virtual win 7 machine as i have installed 8GB. I dont run virtual but the thought gives me comfort :)