Discussion How can democracy function when part of the population are acting on non-factual information?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You are on the right track, however the media is 100 percent fake. See the people watching FOX know that CNN and MSNBC are fake, and the people watching CNN and MSNBC know that FOX is fake. The fact is however that they are all fake, so that said so are your own thoughts fake if they are based upon neural interactions created by something not real to start with.

This is a troll who just joined today, made two posts in the motherboards and windows forums that shows he is obviously not a computer enthusiast then came directly to the politics and news forum to shitpost mindless pro-trump conspiracy and anti-vax garbage.

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
What are you on about?

Are you one of those 'plandemic' conspiracy-nutters. One of those who uncritically swallows the propaganda of the owners of capital and think that makes them smarter than the 'sheep'.
I had covid along with my entire family, the common cold was more annoying. So why do I need a vaccine for what I already have immunity too? and before you say that my immunity will not last, then neither will the vaccine because vaccines provide immunity. Again we were all infected in March. You may wear 2 masks and be first on line to get vaccinated, I am not stopping you. However you can not cause me fear because again I had covid.

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
This is a troll who just joined today, made two posts in the motherboards and windows forums that shows he is obviously not a computer enthusiast then came directly to the politics and news forum to shitpost mindless pro-trump conspiracy and anti-vax garbage.
I built this computer, reprogrammed it several times. Ubuntu is fun until you realize that your printer and external drives are not supported. I ask around on the Ubunto boards and was told tough tookus. End of that experiment, back to win I went, let MS do everything so I could actually get work done. My question is why does it bother so many people that my entire family had covid and were not ill, you do know that 99.6 percent of those infected recover right?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I had covid along with my entire family, the common cold was more annoying. So why do I need a vaccine for what I already have immunity too? and before you say that my immunity will not last, then neither will the vaccine because vaccines provide immunity. Again we were all infected in March. You may wear 2 masks and be first on line to get vaccinated, I am not stopping you. However you can not cause me fear because again I had covid.

Yeah, sure you did.

Reactions: Ramiel

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I built this computer, reprogrammed it several times. Ubuntu is fun until you realize that your printer and external drives are not supported. I ask around on the Ubunto boards and was told tough tookus. End of that experiment, back to win I went, let MS do everything so I could actually get work done. My question is why does it bother so many people that my entire family had covid and were not ill, you do know that 99.6 percent of those infected recover right?

Troll troll troll your boat...

___________________________________________________Cases_____________________________________ Deaths_________________________ Mortality rate________Deaths/100k pop
United States13,088,821264,8582.0%80.95

Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
These days, when people outflank me from the left, I start wondering if they are false-flag rightists. That's just the times we are in. You see rightists-cos-playing-as-leftists all the time. Someonesmind was doing it just recently, posing as a noble opponent of the incarceral state and fighter for racial justice, when it was a useful pose to attack Clinton and Biden

Just writing off 'both sides' is a recipe for demoralisation and inertia. It's the line that helped the Nazis take power, last time round, after all. cf "Thiird period Stalinism".

I certainly don't think Biden will change anything very much. But he's still the least-bad thing on offer. And I still think Hilary was more of a 'hawk' on foreign policy than is Trump. But that's only because Trump is too ignorant of the world outside the US, and his fragile ego means he's too scared of losing control of things, to risk any military adventures, where others, with more knowledge of such things, will naturally assume greater prominence. He's clearly more paleo-con than neo-con, and is also clearly a coward - probably his only good quality.
I do not think Trump is ‘paleo con’ in any way. He’s just so corrupt he doesn’t care unless he’s personally making money off it. Remember, he openly talked about using the US military as an international mercenary force.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Even if that mortality rate were accurate, and it’s not, that would mean around 1,500,000 deaths in the US alone. In reality the mortality rate is likely several times that so we are talking many millions dead.

That sure seems bad!

Reactions: pmv

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

An even better reply than mine:

127936447_2912512465655385_674561001592314213_n.jpg

Reactions: Entangled

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
Yeah, sure you did.
I sure did, not only myself but my wife and son.

Day 1. Severe sweating for about a half hour, then it stopped after I was soaked.
Day 2. Severe stomach pains, took off next day Friday
Day 3. Woke up feeling fine no pains, but got severe diarrhea near end of day.
Day 4. Felt completely fine but my dinner chicken and rice had absolutely no taste

Shortly before my symptoms my wife lost most of her hearing, which returned

Son

The amazing thing is that we are supposedly in a pandemic and people like you refuse to believe that there are people who had this disease.

You do know that 80 to 86 percent infected have no symptoms and that 99.6 percent recover fully

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Day 1. Severe sweating for about a half hour, then it stopped after I was soaked.
Day 4. Felt completely fine but my dinner chicken and rice had absolutely no taste

Son

The amazing thing is that we are supposedly in a pandemic and people like you refuse to believe that there are people who had this disease.

You do know that 80 to 86 percent infected have no symptoms and that 99.6 percent recover fully
Please source your figures.

Reactions: loafbred

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Son

If true, how is a Cold worse than that? You do realize different people have different experiences with Covid, right? When is the last time you have heard of someone dying from a Cold?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
It can't. Wait, you wanted a more elaborate answer. Well I can't give it to you. There can't be versions of the truth. Either something is true or it's not true.

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
A
If true, how is a Cold worse than that? You do realize different people have different experiences with Covid, right? When is the last time you have heard of someone dying from a Cold?
A cold last for days to a week and you have the symptoms 24 hours a day and the symptoms that you do have with a cold overlap each other. Over the 4 days I had perhaps 10 hours of symptoms mostly stomach pain.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We're being trolled by a pandemic denier. Facts don't matter, but they'll throw around numbers as if they know what they're talking about-

Meanwhile, our hospital system is being brought to its knees by the sheer number of people who need care if they are to survive. It's like 100 gun massacres per day, without the noise, panic or bloody messes to clean up.

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
We're being trolled by a pandemic denier. Facts don't matter, but they'll throw around numbers as if they know what they're talking about-

Meanwhile, our hospital system is being brought to its knees by the sheer number of people who need care if they are to survive. It's like 100 gun massacres per day, without the noise, panic or bloody messes to clean up.
What am I denying when I said that my entire family had covid?

Please elaborate

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I do not think Trump is ‘paleo con’ in any way. He’s just so corrupt he doesn’t care unless he’s personally making money off it. Remember, he openly talked about using the US military as an international mercenary force.

Well, it's a "diagnosis of exclusion" more than anything. He very clearly lacks the active engagement in the world outside US borders (apart from golf courses), not to mention the intellectual capacity for interest in abstract ideas, that is essential to being a neocon. Ergo I would say that makes him a paleocon by default, because he clearly isn't a leftist. He shares Pat Buchanan's liking for tariffs and hostility to immigration, as well. But, sure, his prime concerns seem to be the financies and ego of Donald Trump (and perhaps some sort of psychodrama from his relationship with his father?), any political affiliaton is probably just an accidental consequence of that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Substack? Lol.

The author there makes an error so elementary that I suspect it is on purpose to deceive you. He is using estimates of unconfirmed cases for the case count and only confirmed deaths for the death count. So he’s using an apples to oranges comparison to try and push his narrative.

Basically he’s lying to you or he’s incompetent. I would blacklist him and never read anything he says again if I were you.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
As said above--it can't. We are in a civil war and have been for a while. It might not ever be a shooting war (where would the battle lines be? Inside households and within the cubicle rows where I work....) but it's a war of information vs disinformation. My coworker, who makes great money as a data engineer--a job that requires adherence to accurate data--believes Bill Gates is trying to kill people via "depopulation" with his support of a vaccine. That sounds like something the dude yelling at the sky behind the bus stop would say.... A huge number of people in this country have gone off the rails believing absolute horseshit with NO evidence or facts to back up any of it.

Social media is a huge reason for this. I've gotten off the crack (much as I did cable news years ago) and my stress levels went way down. People are addicted to "facts" that support their beliefs, instead of how it ought to be--the other way around.

EVERYTHING gets politicized and scapegoated. There's always got to be an evil convenient boogeyman causing everything. It's the simplistic thinking of a child. A global pandemic is an excuse for all manner of crap conspiracies and angry protests over "muh freedom".

What's the solution? Only two that I see: outvote the crazy, or leave. There's no "coming together" in our future as long as people seek out bullshit to "inform" themselves. Personally now that Biden has won, it gives a nice reprieve for any leavers to do it right. It won't be easy for me to do it at my age and with home businesses and kids still in school (that last might be a reason I wait 3-4 for my youngest to get out of high school). Unfortunately I don't think other countries are immune to this collective insanity but the US seems to have the worst case of it. I think things are likely to get very ugly in the years ahead. I'm going to try to leave but more importantly I'm hoping my kids decide to after college.

Reactions: balloonshark

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Completely irrelevant to the topic, but...what does it mean to "reprogram" one's computer? What were you programming it to _do_?

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
Science, unless you've taken the test described here-

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
LOL just because you do not like my opinion does not bother me one bit.

So is that not true because I believe it?

I am not afraid of covid, you do not have to agree or like it.

If you are scared which I am not, you may wear 2 masks and be first on line to get vaccinated. I will watch

Enjoy your day

Entangled

Banned
Nov 28, 2020
Completely irrelevant to the topic, but...what does it mean to "reprogram" one's computer? What were you programming it to _do_?
Wiped the drive then installed Linux. Wiped it again and went back to win. I do not do programming Apple does and my damn stocks keep splitting.

Gonna tell me that I do not own Apple, Google, Netflix, Alibaba, Taiwan Semiconductor and several hundred others in funds?

Can't wait for the google antitrust suit

LOL should I overclock my 6 core cpu so my trades happen quicker?

CIAO

Last edited: