House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Smart point, we may not like the guy’s Politics and we may not like how long this went on for. We have to admit he got it done. Why chance it for yet another loony.

This House is about the least productive one seen in generations. They are not getting it done, at least not at all easily.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Alright I just heard something wise from a Democrat Representative.
He would vote to keep the Speaker because “it is ridiculous to expel a speaker for doing their job”
I mean, that's the rational approach yes. He seems to be forgetting that the relevant parties got into Congress precisely on the platform of 'prevent people from doing their job'.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
We're never going to get a chance like this again where the Army of the Potomac goes head to head against the Army of Northern Georgia led by General Marjorie Taylor Greene!

Don't forget she'll bring in 6-star Admiral George Santos to lead the Navy!

When default is the other option, they/he got it done.

It's pretty sad that the absolute bare minimum is considered getting things done, and barely at that.

But, here we are.

Feb 4, 2009
I mean, that's the rational approach yes. He seems to be forgetting that the relevant parties got into Congress precisely on the platform of 'prevent people from doing their job'.
That’s a fair point. Really what I am saying is as of now he’s a dude who appears to keep his word unlike Kevin. Sure this was messy and absolutely get whatever you can out of the guy, he is a far superior choice to deal with vs McCarthy.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
That’s a fair point. Really what I am saying is as of now he’s a dude who appears to keep his word unlike Kevin. Sure this was messy and absolutely get whatever you can out of the guy, he is a far superior choice to deal with vs McCarthy.

I honestly think Johnson is at this time the least worst possible choice of a lot of other far worse ones.

As much as he makes my skin crawl, keeping him as speaker until the elections is a much more palatable choice than having to sit through another wingnut freakshow speaker voting circus.

Plus, enough of the Democrats voting to keep him as Speaker has an added effect of fun-kicking the idiot freedom fool caucus straight in the balls. I'm always up for seeing that.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I honestly think Johnson is at this time the least worst possible choice of a lot of other far worse ones.

As much as he makes my skin crawl, keeping him as speaker until the elections is a much more palatable choice than having to sit through another wingnut freakshow speaker voting circus.

Plus, enough of the Democrats voting to keep him as Speaker has an added effect of fun-kicking the idiot freedom fool caucus straight in the balls. I'm always up for seeing that.

In today's low information/short attention span voting public I'm more inclined to welcome another GOP prolonged clown show. I'd love to see how they sell their accomplishments at the upcoming GOP Convention.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
In today's low information/short attention span voting public I'm more inclined to welcome another GOP prolonged clown show. I'd love to see how they sell their accomplishments at the upcoming GOP Convention.

Admittedly, the Speaker clown freak show circus might be fun to watch, but it damages the country as a whole. And, imagine what would happen if someone like Jordan, Scalise, or Comer become the speaker. That would be a living nightmare, giving any one of those morons that kind of power and the accompanying soapbox to preach from.

We already know what they plan to do at the convention anyway -- exactly what the worthless shits are doing now.

They don't care about accomplishments. Instead, it'll all be about election denial and millions of evil murdering immigrants and Trump's "woe is me" message about how poor innocent Republicans are being maligned and mistreated by the courts and the evil, corrupt Democrats.....

The convention speech lineup will consist of an absolute shithole parade of worthless, lying, ass-licking Trump sycophants leading up to the appearance of the great orange turd himself. My only question at this point will be if they can somehow manage to keep Trump focused enough during his acceptance speech to prevent him from going completely off the rails and provoking a disaster. I truly hope Trump can't resist, though in the end I don't think it would matter to most Republicans given how long they have spent drinking the kool-aid.

At this point, I just pray the Democrats can hold on to control of at least one house of Congress this fall as a stopgap hedge against the damage Trump could do to the country if he somehow manages to get re-elected.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The way I see it the number of clowns on the Republican side of the aisle is so great that a clown show is inevitable. One way or another I think you will get your wish.

Reactions: Pohemi and Thump553

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
"Good" news, the House Republican Study Committee finally came out with their own budget proposal last week. They were actually willing to publish their top priorities which only can happen if Trump/Republicans win in November:

The House Republican Study Committee, which counts 80 percent of House Republicans as members, put out a budget last week that would:
- rescind regulatory approval of mifepristone
- dismantle the “failed Obamacare experiment”
- embrace a nationwide abortion ban from the moment of conception.

Not coincidentally, aligning with the same priorities as the Heritage Foundation Project 2025 which basically sets Trump's policies, which also vowed to revoke all regulatory approvals for abortion drugs.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Probably won't be seeing it on NBC or MSNBC.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Probably won't be seeing it on NBC or MSNBC.

They want revenge for NBC firing the same person they fired?

Does Republican idiocy know no bounds??

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
They want revenge for NBC firing the same person they fired?

Does Republican idiocy know no bounds??

They still wanted her on the air, spewing their bullshit. They just didn't want her running things any longer. She wasn't enough of an anus-sucker for TwoScoops, apparently.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Had NBC already offered/agreed to pay out the contract? Because I know she's planning on suing them.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
That's what I wondered, was if she's getting paid anyway but will still be suing them for breaking the contract agreement. Seems most likely.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hard to sue if they pay her the amount agreed upon in her contract.
No it is not.

Any retard in this country can sue anyone they choose to for any reason that pops into their moronic little skulls. Hell, look at all that ridiculous election litigation.

And, given her past statements, McDaniel (if nothing else) has a vivid imagination. Would probably claim she is being discriminated against by NBC on 1st amendment grounds or some other such worthless shit....

Now, suing and winning is a whole other issue.

Except, these days lawyers (even those who know they will win hands down in court) will still settle even frivolous suits if it costs less. Dominion's lawsuit was obviously not frivolous, and they could have absolutely eliminated Fox News as a business entity had they gone to court; however, they instead settled for a much smaller payday instead of making a payday with a point in court.