House set to begin formal impeachment hearings

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Do you know how legislation works at the federal level? Do you need a civics lesson on how bills become laws? Take a guess at who isn’t doing their job.

How_Bill_Becomes_Law.png

In P&N, singularly amongst the social forums, you must include your own personal commentary in each post you make. I refer you to rule 2. 2/6/16. Consider this your one zero point warning.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Ummmm... This is getting very interesting very fast. Lawyers don't usually make claims like this in open court if they can't back it up.

But wait, there's more.

Call me jaded, but I have little to no doubt this is true (and it's not a new allegation), but the Senate has already said that they don't care if the President abuse his power for political gain soooo... I mean, it doesn't really matter. I don't see this changing the minds of any voters either.

Dec 10, 2005
They should modernize that song for 2020:

"I'm a bill, a crummy bill. Filled with things that make Republicans Ill. I don't stand a chance to pass, but I got sent to the Senate anyway just to be an ass..." :)
The Senate could always debate and pass their own version to send to the House. If you want compromise, why not point that same finger at the Republicans, whose version of compromise is "I get all I want and you get crumbs or nothing"

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Senate could always debate and pass their own version to send to the House. If you want compromise, why not point that same finger at the Republicans, whose version of compromise is "I get all I want and you get crumbs or nothing"

But Trump says they're do-nothing Democrats. Go figure.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Call me jaded, but I have little to no doubt this is true (and it's not a new allegation), but the Senate has already said that they don't care if the President abuse his power for political gain soooo... I mean, it doesn't really matter. I don't see this changing the minds of any voters either.

well, the right-wing terrorists that support Trump pretty much treat Assange as some noble hero (also explains their undefined Putin worship), so if anything, it would probably confuse them for a spell to hear that the one hero is vocally confirming that he aided Trump in doing the thoroughly-supported instances of Trump-Russia collusion to disenfranchise their votes, and the entirety of the United States.

I mean, it will confuse them for a little while. A few hours later, after some instantly-edited videos deposited through the Trump Derposphere, they will have the explanation they need to convince themselves that Assange is still the hero/martyr doing all the things that are needed to be done to insure that the Chosen remains King Dictator and whatever Trump does, anyway, is always right so who cares?

...I'm gonna start drinking from our dd water, and maybe also our Milli-Q system for the next couple of weeks to see if it somehow engenders such dumbfuck thoughts in my head, as well. I'm wondering if that is one of the sources of right wing lunacy?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Already admitted its true.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
More stuff the nobody cares about anymore... Remember Pompeo the guy that's been hiding in Africa.

Isn't it strange how everything that the whistleblower claimed and House witnesses testified to has been repeatedly confirmed by the very people that have been accused?
Especially when the GOP was first arguing that these would be very bad things indeed and too bad there isn't any evidence for it and oh but now that there is we really don't care and the people testifying truthfully about the crimes should be the ones punished because fuck you, USA.

Dec 10, 2005
Remember when Trump's defense was arguing that the House merely had to go to court to enforce their subpoenas?

WASHINGTON — A federal appeals court on Friday ruled that Congress cannot sue to enforce its subpoenas of executive branch officials, delivering a major victory to President Trump and undermining the ability of Congress to conduct oversight of the government.

In a two-to-one ruling, a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia dismissed a lawsuit brought by the House Judiciary Committee against Mr. Trump’s former White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, after he defied its subpoena seeking to force him to testify about Mr. Trump’s efforts to obstruct the Russia investigation.

Edit:
I wonder what would happen if the House just used its inherent contempt powers to lock someone up from the Executive branch till they testified. I would imagine that they would want to be logically consistent and not get involved in such a dispute between the House and the Executive (LOL).

Last edited:
  • Wow

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This seems like a really horrible ruling and one that sets a very bad precedent if it is allowed to stand.

The irony is that the ruling means that the way to resolve such a dispute when it involves the President's conduct is to remove them from office. Let's do the Impeachment hearing all over again.

Reactions: TheVrolok

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Remember when Trump's defense was arguing that the House merely had to go to court to enforce their subpoenas?

Edit:
I wonder what would happen if the House just used its inherent contempt powers to lock someone up from the Executive branch till they testified. I would imagine that they would want to be logically consistent and not get involved in such a dispute between the House and the Executive (LOL).
In all regards, todays ruling, if it stands also removed the ability for the house to use the stg at arms to enforce their inherent contempt powers against the white house because that authority was granted by the courts in 1821. If they don't have the authority today, how did they have it back then to make such a ruling?

Todays ruling just made the President and his administration untouchable since the GOP Senate won't do anything about it.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Edit:

An appeals court dismissed a lawsuit brought by the House Judiciary Committee against Don McGahn, ruling that Congress cannot sue to enforce its subpoenas.

Time to start jailing people for contempt, then.

• Love

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So basically this court is saying that the only way Congress has to compel this sort of testimony is by immiserating their own constituents until the president gives in. Which of course means they are powerless if the president just doesn’t give a shit.

What an insanely bad idea.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So basically this court is saying that the only way Congress has to compel this sort of testimony is by immiserating their own constituents until the president gives in. Which of course means they are powerless if the president just doesn’t give a shit.

What an insanely bad idea.
I guess conservative legal theory has moved from calling balls and strikes to fuck it don’t ask us to be umpires.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
i imagine it will be appealed up to SCOTUS, because that essentially allows the president to obstruct congressional investigations.

Barring a SCOTUS rescue or a constitutional amendment, the concept of legislative oversight is dead. Welcome to the dictatorship. SCOTUS needs to make this the law of the land is decline to take up any appeal. The whole thing happened with barely a whisper. We fiddle while Rome burns. It's horrible to watch.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

Edit:
This ruling further shows that the impeachment was a scam.

Spin it however you want, but at the end of the day it confirms that there was no obstruction...

Also looks like Ukraine is investigating Biden....

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This ruling further shows that the impeachment was a scam.

Spin it however you want, but at the end of the day it confirms that there was no obstruction...

Also looks like Ukraine is investigating Biden....

You do realize that this ruling has no bearing on the validity of impeachment, right? Nothing to do with obstruction or lack thereof? Of course you don’t, rube.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I doubt the ruling will hold up to En Banc review. Trump got lucky with the 3 judge panel.