Hot sauce consumption

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I love hot things, the hotter the better, but I won't do extract sauces. That's just hot for the sake of being hot, and flavor comes second. I prefer a crafted hot sauce that takes flavor first.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Why get something super rated and then make it one part per million of something else? Just get something cheaper and use a bit more of it? I don't really understand hotsauce too much, but it seems like if you get something super concentrated it's a waste to then dilute it down to something normal.

Oct 25, 2006
Why get something super rated and then make it one part per million of something else? Just get something cheaper and use a bit more of it? I don't really understand hotsauce too much, but it seems like if you get something super concentrated it's a waste to then dilute it down to something normal.

Using more of weak hotsauces doesn't make it spicier at a certain point. Weakening hot ones makes it easier to get a desired amount of spicy.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I got to try a drop of Da Bomb Final Answer, at 1.5 million scoville. It was pretty hot - burned hard for 5 minutes, then flushed cheeks for another half hour. Not death defying crazy though. I expected hotter but it wasn't really so bad.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ehh Dave's Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce is tasty. I don't go for the extreme concentrate sauces usually. But, I do cook with Habeneros and I'm not afraid of any Thai, Indian, or Korean dish made extra spicy.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Using more of weak hotsauces doesn't make it spicier at a certain point. Weakening hot ones makes it easier to get a desired amount of spicy.

Yea, but it seems if you're using a tiny drop in a big pot of something a weaker sauce would have been sufficient.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
The hottest I tried on that list is just under 100k, and I have no desire to go higher than that. One drop in a can of soup was pretty intense, and I had to wash my hands thoroughly after each time I touched the bottle.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
what's the best budget hot sauce on that list?

Depends on what you're looking for. I like El Yucateco Green habanero sauce. They also make one without artificial color that's a bit hotter, a bit uglier, but a bit nicer tasting. It's very dry in flavor, and doesn't go overboard on heat. You should be able to find it at better grocery stores, and Mexican centric markets.

For a vinegar based sauce, the original Tabasco is the best. Nice amount of heat, and it's thin enough to soak into food, but thick enough to stand on it's own for cheese and crackers, or something like that.

For a very flavorful sauce, look for habanero sauces from Costa Rica. They have some vegetables and fruits in them. My favorite was Tropical Pepper Co. 4X Habanero. That company may have gone under because I haven't seen their products in awhile, but it was typically Costa Rican. Look for another sauce from there, and it should be similar.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
satan's blood (800k), put a drop on a quesadilla and smeared it around. ohboy.
:/

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
http://www.insanechicken.com/da-bomb-final-answer-hot-sauce.html

That's the hottest I have had (1.5 million SU's). I had some on a chip, the amount was about the size of a dime.

It was very hot, too hot to enjoy in my opinion. What surprised me was not how hot it was so much as how that little bit was that hot and how long it lingered in my mouth. It had to be uncomfortable for 10 - 15 minutes and lingered for probably a half hour... all from a few drops that was about a dime in size.

*edit - I know people often wonder why someone would want something that hot, but many people really like their food to be spicey, even a bit painful in it's spice. I remember reading a story about how the spicey food is interpreted as pain to some degree by the brain, so the brain is thought to release endorphins in a response. So much the same way as a runner can get a runner's high, eating spicy food may give that person a 'spice high'.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
http://www.insanechicken.com/da-bomb-final-answer-hot-sauce.html

That's the hottest I have had (1.5 million SU's). I had some on a chip, the amount was about the size of a dime.

It was very hot, too hot to enjoy in my opinion. What surprised me was not how hot it was so much as how that little bit was that hot and how long it lingered in my mouth. It had to be uncomfortable for 10 - 15 minutes and lingered for probably a half hour... all from a few drops that was about a dime in size.

*edit - I know people often wonder why someone would want something that hot, but many people really like their food to be spicey, even a bit painful in it's spice. I remember reading a story about how the spicey food is interpreted as pain to some degree by the brain, so the brain is thought to release endorphins in a response. So much the same way as a runner can get a runner's high, eating spicy food may give that person a 'spice high'.

Well I can tell you its true. Theres a certain thrill after eating something obscenely spicy. Like my previous story, that sauce probably broke 1 million scovilles. I've had some 800k stuff before and it was nowhere NEAR as bad as the sauce. But even in pain, I was still giddy and felt awesome. Everything in my body was in overdrive and I felt like I could take on the world. Retardedly spicy feels awesome even with the pain.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
SlowSpyder said:

Ionizer86 said:
I got to try a drop of Da Bomb Final Answer, at 1.5 million scoville. It was pretty hot - burned hard for 5 minutes, then flushed cheeks for another half hour. Not death defying crazy though. I expected hotter but it wasn't really so bad.
Wild! Your experience with Da Bomb Final Answer sauce is so similar to mine. Do different humans tend to experience hot sauce very similarly subjectively?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Did anyone watch the Man vs Food where he had to sign a waiver just to get a few drops of a particular sauce on a chicken wing?

He practically looked like he needed to go to the hospital afterwards

I would never attempt something like that, seems like its about as smart as trying to see who can drink the most gasoline. At that point any "flavor" is just blasted away, I dont see a point in it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I spent the better part of one summer building up a tolerance to Daves Insanity & Daves Ultimate Insanity sauces. I'd put about a teaspoonful of the stuff on a slice of ham, smear it around, roll it up & eat it. Yum! Actually, with that much Daves, it didn't taste good.

But, by the end of the summer, fun times were had. "MMMmmmmm, this stuff is good." I'd eat half & offer someone the other half. Hilarity in about 3... 2... 1... seconds before the stuff kicked in.

End result: besides a lot of laughs, if I now touch anything hotter than tabasco (and I could drink that stuff), my stomach starts convulsing.

FWIW, a couple drops of those extreme hot sauces in many dishes gives them that nice hot spiciness, without really affecting the flavor.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
For my taste buds, too many companies put too much vinegar in their hot sauces.

Yep. Last year we grew tabasco peppers and made our own sauce (very low on the vinegar). It tastes AWESOME. Any other Tabasco sauce I've had is just hot and vingegary, but homemade sauce actually haves a very tasty flavor.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Most of that suff tastes like battery acid. None of it is going to kill me, and I would eat it or almost anything on a bet, but Yucateca Habenero sauce actually tastes good. In fact, I find habenero peppers to be the best tasting hot peppers.

the habenero taste is phenomenal, imo. I'd like to extract it from the spicy component to use it in all sorts of other ways.

Yucateca is also my favorite major brand sauce.

I now know this guy who knows this guy that makes a few his own stuff and mails it out to whomever orders it. 5 bucks a bottle. He has 3 recipes--regular, xhot, and a mango sauce, that is more like a spread, but it is amazing. The perfect sweet+spicy, it's great on roast beef sandwiches that I've been making--almost anything, really.