Hot sauce consumption

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was at Firehouse Subs and they had Dave's Gourmet Ultimate Insanity hot sauce... it was listed as Insanity+++ hotness! I did not have the testicular fortitude to try it :(.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
so do those super hot sauces actually taste good?

I don't see why anyone would even WANT to add that to food. Chili sauce is supposed to enhance the food, not kill it. People seem to love drowning food in super hot chili sauce and I don't get it. I like hot sauce but some of those things on that chart, I have no idea who'd want to try those. I'd probably die.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
so do those super hot sauces actually taste good?

Some do actually taste very good...but IMO, most are more about the heat than the flavor...some even taste TERRIBLE...but they still burn your mouth off.
I've tried "Dave's Insanity Sauce." Hot as hell, but IMO, didn't taste very good.
For my taste buds, too many companies put too much vinegar in their hot sauces.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
The hot sauce industry is too much of a dick measuring contest IMO. Like Boomer said, it is too often about the heat and not the flavour.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
i had a bottle of Blair's Possible Side Effects... at 283,000 Scovilles, it's the hottest thing i've ever tried... put a single drop into a whole bottle of ketchup... and it was like a nuclear inferno... but it was good.

Now that's SPICY KETCHUP.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Most of the stuff at the top half of that list I'd only buy for people I didn't like.

Those at the very top are mainly just collector items. ~$200 for 1/4 oz., I'm not buying that for anybody.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
i would try it... i cant barely consider anything that isnt at least 500k on the scoville scale spicy. most everything past 2mil on the scoville has no flavor as its numbing effects pretty much take care of that.

buffalo wild wings blazin is pretty much a regular buffalo wing to me.

kinda sucks because i think my tastebuds are dead

insect9

Jun 19, 2004
The hottest hot sauce I have in my pantry is Black Mamba at 2.5M scoville units. I usually just dip a toothpick in it and stir a pot of chili with it. I put Blair's Ultra Death Sauce, 800k, on my tacos (ONE DROP OR SO ONLY, or the next morning is hell.)

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
The hottest sauce on that list that I use with any kind of frequency is the Tabasco Habanero. I guess that makes me a wuss. I would imagine though that at some point, your tongue gets too numb to actually taste the food, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I had a bottle of the Scorned Woman Hot Sauce a few years back and I could swear that it was hotter than the Tabasco Habanero. Must've just been the mental imagery of the name of the sauce playing games with my taste buds. It was quite good on grilled chicken sandwiches.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Not I. The habaneros from my garden kick my ass.
Same here. I just do not like it so hot, that it is a challenge to eat the dish. My digestive tract also dislikes overly hot peppers.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
i had a bottle of Blair's Possible Side Effects... at 283,000 Scovilles, it's the hottest thing i've ever tried... put a single drop into a whole bottle of ketchup... and it was like a nuclear inferno... but it was good.

Now that's SPICY KETCHUP.
that was a favourite at my work. Now they don't make it any more.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Question from work;
One of the guys here is a pepperhead and he swears that if he starts to drink a carbonated beverage and keeps it in his mouth, that the heat dissapates. Is this true or is it more urban legend?

Oct 25, 2006
Once I was in Korea, I ordered some extra spicy rice cake thingies. The waiter there essentially said " No you don't you can't handle it" So after a 10 second back and forth, he said that he would be a medium hot and a bowl of the sauce they use for the extra spicy. Now normally I'm amazing at eating spicy things. But this stuff. Holy fuck.

I put a minuscule bit on the tip of my chopstick and pressed it on my tongue. I was in pain for the next several hours.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Most of that suff tastes like battery acid. None of it is going to kill me, and I would eat it or almost anything on a bet, but Yucateca Habenero sauce actually tastes good. In fact, I find habenero peppers to be the best tasting hot peppers.