HoN for $10. Worth it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Having read Aristotelian's wall of text pre-edit, I don't think any of us are trying to justify jackbags being jackbags. However, you clearly come across as someone who doesn't care to put in the time to learn the game. And ya, 15 hours really isn't enough time to learn it; deal with it, the game clearly isn't for you. Why don't you go play Starcraft 2 or any strategy game for 15 hours, go play some team brackets and see how well you do. This isn't Mass Effect 2.

Furthermore, regarding jackbags, welcome to the internet? If you haven't learned how to ignore them by now I don't know what to tell you man. And HoN does have a report player feature for particularly egregious behavior, which I have used in the past and have gotten response from GMs.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Like someone else suggested. Try LoL and see if you dig the genre.

As others have said, horrible community. I played dota for awhile and was pretty damn good but I ultimately quit due the community. It was simply horrible seeing people rage at others for legit and non legit reasons and just the amount of douchebaggery was on epic scales.

When I tried the HoN beta, unsurprisingly the community was the same cause most dota ppl moved to HoN.

It is a game that a weak link on a team literally screws the team. You can't be carried or just given a simple assignment and just hope you can do that. I remember playing some noob games in the beta and ppl were freaking out at other players for messing up, in a freaking noob game, that was when I just uninstalled the beta lol.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Hey, look at that one game called... what is it called? Something with over ten millions players... OH YEAH, WoW.

I believe most people say, "the fun stuff isn't even until you're level 60/70/80/whateveritisnow." Which takes how long? Probably hundreds of hours to get to...

I had a hell of a lot more fun leveling up for the first time than I EVER did doing endgame content. Sure, the endgame content is pretty cool (for the first time), I guess, but when you start doing that shit over and over again, it gets old quickly. I remember, I had a buddy tell me that WoW was going to get so much better once I hit level 80, so I busted my ass to get to max level at the time. But then when I got there he basically bailed on me, never wanting to do anything.

Needless to say, I'm done with WoW...forever. Not getting pulled into that shitstorm again.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
"yes"

find some people that play together, have a vent/ts server, etc and you'll have a good time

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
I had a hell of a lot more fun leveling up for the first time than I EVER did doing endgame content.

I couldn't be further from this. Leveling was awful, that's why I moved to HoN in the first place. No grind, just action.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
i have played LoL for over a year now, own 50 out of the 70 or so champions**, and haven't spent a dime on them. Now i have spent about $80 on skins - which are 100% aesthetic only, and i also have 6 rune pages**

**bought with IP point(you earn them for playing)

I tried HoN and could not get into it... too serious for me i guess, but i felt like everything was "lost" when it came to pure team combat.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Having read Aristotelian's wall of text pre-edit, I don't think any of us are trying to justify jackbags being jackbags. However, you clearly come across as someone who doesn't care to put in the time to learn the game. And ya, 15 hours really isn't enough time to learn it; deal with it, the game clearly isn't for you. Why don't you go play Starcraft 2 or any strategy game for 15 hours, go play some team brackets and see how well you do. This isn't Mass Effect 2.

Furthermore, regarding jackbags, welcome to the internet? If you haven't learned how to ignore them by now I don't know what to tell you man. And HoN does have a report player feature for particularly egregious behavior, which I have used in the past and have gotten response from GMs.

1) You make the mistake of inferring from "Unhappy with community" to "bad player", and worse

2) You fail to see that some people might simply be unhappy with viewing some poor soul like Link35 getting chewed out by his team for 35 minutes, and not with comments such as "you really should buy wards and place them here "ping"" but instead: "OMG u f'n (slur)! u suck!! loss!!" (then this moves from team chat to all, with "OMG MY TEAMMATE SUCKS OMG LOL VOTE HIM OUT PLZ" (yawn).

You are trying to dismiss my impression of this game on two fronts:
a) By saying I'm bad and deserve to be criticized (that's not the issue here)
b) That I need to grow up (lol?) and be welcomed to this sort of behavior on the internet.

Well, here's something you need to deal with. I don't need to listen to racist tirades for 30 minutes in a game, from some guy who thinks he's a video game all-star or has reached the pinnacle of e-sports in a "5v5 noobs only! ap ab" pub match.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
The zoom level in HoN is garbage. The game is trash because of it. Not worth $10. Might want to try a free guest pass though.

Not to mention, the graphics are more distracting than they add to the game. That said, they do have a colorblind mode built-in, which is good for us Caucasians.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
The zoom level in HoN is garbage. The game is trash because of it. Not worth $10. Might want to try a free guest pass though.

Not to mention, the graphics are more distracting than they add to the game. That said, they do have a colorblind mode built-in, which is good for us Caucasians.

The zoom level is akin to that on DOTA. Those who are dota veterans are ok with the level, but I wouldn't mind it being zoomed out more sometimes.

There are some mods that did zoom it out before, but I don't know if they work anymore.

jdelrio22

Feb 14, 2006
That "Pro" video is just a guy with runes running around picking off support all day and getting the "carry" with the help of others. It really isn't indicative of what Flux is capable of.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So I have 29 wins in LoL. As a new player, I probably have under 50% win rate but lets say I have 58 games played. Now 10 of those were even with an IP boost key that I got. I still can't afford one hero. Granted it's one that is expensive, but you make it sound like you catch em all like they're pokemon. This is not the case. So still 58 games later I can't play even ONE champion that I like all the time.

What's even more hilarious is the people that use this 100% free argument end up spending money, often more than $30 in LoL and walk away with far less to show for it.

Also here is a link to back up my trumping the repetitiveness argument of LoL vs HoN.

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/hero_use.php

Note it drops to 2.2% by the 3rd hero which is 1/4.55 games.

if you have 29 wins in LoL...and let's say they're 30 minute games, you have roughly 75 IP/game, which comes out to about 2175 IP, not including IP bonuses and WOTD bonuses.

so at minimum, you should be able to buy 4x 450IP champs, many of whom are quite good.

Last edited:

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
That "Pro" video is just a guy with runes running around picking off support all day and getting the "carry" with the help of others. It really isn't indicative of what Flux is capable of.

Well he did have a large level advantage... but he definitely killed more than just support. Watch some of his other vids, they guy is pretty damn good.

Do you play? What's your MMR? I'm only around 1700 so I consider 2000 to be pretty insane..

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
if you have 29 wins in LoL...and let's say they're 30 minute games, you have roughly 75 IP/game, which comes out to about 2175 IP, not including IP bonuses and WOTD bonuses.

so at minimum, you should be able to buy 4x 450IP champs, many of whom are quite good.

IMO, this is what kills LoL for me. The whole idea of having an advantage over your opponent because you've played more games is at odds with MOBA gameplay.

HoN has none of this.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Well he did have a large level advantage... but he definitely killed more than just support. Watch some of his other vids, they guy is pretty damn good.

Do you play? What's your MMR? I'm only around 1700 so I consider 2000 to be pretty insane..

Some of the guys that play HoN are ridiculous, but I've watched the 2000 guys play and watch the 1700 guys play. Some of the 1700s are way better, but because the 2000 guys have good chemistry when it comes to team work (These guys NEVER play solo pubs) they can stomp a lot of solo pub teams.

I play Solo pubs so I always get the luck of the draw with the team.

I fell down to 1400 PSR from 1675+ range. It sucks but the people are just as bad or good at those at the high end, the difference is between those who actually play with whole teams.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I love HON... i just suck at it with the characters I like to play lol. But i am good with others.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006

I haven't been back to see how much IP I have, but the statement stands that I couldn't buy one champion that I like (Blitzcrank, yea I know he's not that good but he's fun as hell there were other expensive ones too) and wasn't even really close to getting him yet. What is he like 3k or 6k?

Oh well, suffice to say that type of transaction is not for me.