HoN for $10. Worth it?

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Accounts are on sale now for $10 each. Worth it?

That's all I need to play right? Goblin coins or whatever is just for skins?

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Ohh tempting. I think I'll pay this tonight and try and make the jump from LoL to HoN.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
For $10, I am sorely tempted. The community sounds terrible though. I will be a noob, how else can I get better except by playing? (rhetorical question) But a lot of the HoN stalwarts seem to be long on impatience and short on manners, that's all that holds me back.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
If you're a DotA fan and can get over the (or so I hear) horrible community, it's supposed to be a good bit of fun.

Your other option would be LoL which is free. I think there's another free MOBA game coming out in the near future (it's in beta right now). Can't remember the name, something about titans maybe?

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Dota's community was always awful. I can't imagine HoN being different since it's the same people mostly. If you haven't played before you'll get flamed I'm sure. You'd be best off finding a friend who plays and having them show you the ropes first, then doing your homework on some basic builds before you hop in a real game. If you don't mind getting flamed though just jump in.

I'm missing playing Dota enough I think I'm going to jump on this.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Because LoL is free, it attracts much less hardcore and uppity people than HoN.

So basically:

LoL if you want fun
HoN if you want obsessive compulsive 15 year olds screaming obscenities at you for not being good/fast enough

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I would try HoN, but I hear that the community is absolutely terrible.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Dota's community was always awful. I can't imagine HoN being different since it's the same people mostly. If you haven't played before you'll get flamed I'm sure. You'd be best off finding a friend who plays and having them show you the ropes first, then doing your homework on some basic builds before you hop in a real game. If you don't mind getting flamed though just jump in.

This.

The unfortunate reality of the game is that despite its apparent simplicity, the necessity to understand different builds, team composition and how all the different heroes work really bogs down the learning process for a new person. Your best bet really is to only play AP games and pick like 3 "easy" to use heroes until you get a solid grasp of the mechanics, and slowly add new heroes from there. The problem is too many noobs just want to jump in and blow games for 4 (or 9, depending on your perspective) other people without taking the time to learn the ropes. It's not generic FPS #467 where you can just hop on and be competent because you've played FPSs before. Just remember that.

Also, Brazilians are a blight upon the community.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
All the whining about the community is ridiculous. Yes its bad, there are a lot of immature, impatient, whiny kids who will bitch at you for anything and everything. If you are looking for a DotA game though this is as good as it gets, and all you have to do is ignore them. Most don't have voice chat and wont continue to antagonize you if you just ignore their comments. If they do have voice chat you can mute them. $10 is a steal for a game with this much replayability.

Mennovh

Jan 29, 2010
Definitely worth the buy. Between beta and retail Ive played over 1000 games. The community is very unforgiving, but thats what noob games are for. It will take you about 50 games to learn the ropes. Then another 100 to learn good strategy's / the nooks and crannies of it.

I absolutely love the game, but then again I played dota for years too.

Last edited:

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
For $10, I am sorely tempted. The community sounds terrible though. I will be a noob, how else can I get better except by playing? (rhetorical question) But a lot of the HoN stalwarts seem to be long on impatience and short on manners, that's all that holds me back.

Trolling the community is half the fun though.

"OMG stop dying stupid noob!1!"

"lol srry guys I'll try to sto-oh snap I died again! Silly me!"

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
What kind of game is this that breeds such a community?

As a long time Dota player it is easy to see why people flame noobs who have never played before.

When you're playing a random pub and you find out someone on your team has never played before it's really frustrating. Because no matter what they are going to do they will feed and be generally useless to the team. You can't teach them as you go, there is too much happening. Either way you're stuck in a game for the next ~45 minutes that you are almost certain to loose and there is nothing you can do.

Your chances in Dota are better if the new person just leaves. That's why newer players get flamed. The team is better off without them, so making them leave helps your chances to win. Also when your team sucks its hard to do well. Games with lots of unforgiving teamwork and random ways of sticking people together who don't know each other are going to breed flamers. It's the nature of the game, if you don't like it don't play. The Dota/HoN community probably doesn't care haha.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
As a long time Dota player it is easy to see why people flame noobs who have never played before.

When you're playing a random pub and you find out someone on your team has never played before it's really frustrating. Because no matter what they are going to do they will feed and be generally useless to the team. You can't teach them as you go, there is too much happening. Either way you're stuck in a game for the next ~45 minutes that you are almost certain to loose and there is nothing you can do.

Your chances in Dota are better if the new person just leaves. That's why newer players get flamed. The team is better off without them, so making them leave helps your chances to win. Also when your team sucks its hard to do well. Games with lots of unforgiving teamwork and random ways of sticking people together who don't know each other are going to breed flamers. It's the nature of the game, if you don't like it don't play. The Dota/HoN community probably doesn't care haha.

Okay, but I'm seriously curious what kind of game it is. I've checked videos and I don't see what makes it so complex. I don't know DOTA either (or even what it stands for) so I'm just wondering what makes it deep. I doubt it's my kind of bag so don't worry about me noobing up the place... Just curious

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
If you have some hard skin, go for it. I've out 1000s of hours in, best $30 I've ever spent.

Just beware, the game is sickly difficult, and the community will bi1ch you out for making even one mistake, so be prepared to shut out the haters and keep getting better.

That being said, it is SO fun.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Okay, but I'm seriously curious what kind of game it is. I've checked videos and I don't see what makes it so complex. I don't know DOTA either (or even what it stands for) so I'm just wondering what makes it deep. I doubt it's my kind of bag so don't worry about me noobing up the place... Just curious

~80? heroes, that probably fall within 6 different roles, with 4 abilities each, that you must consider how they augment and counter each other, add in 30 or so main items that will alter how you play your hero, and throw in the subtleties of lane control, team dynamics, etc.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
The game is ridiculous difficult especially with match making. If you have no friends who play this game that are good then you're fucked. I play all my games solo and the win rate is literally almost 50/50. You have so little difference when your team fucks up.

My first part of games is usually like 3-0 and then I can't get a single kill after that. It'll be 3-10 by the end of game after we concede because just ONE player on my team fed and it's OVER.

My KDR has gone to shit and so has my PSR. I used to be 1700s. Now I am barely 1550. It's all about the draw unless you play with friends...

The game has unreal amounts of replay value because every game is different even with the exact same heroes and lanes.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Download League of Legends (it's free) if you're slightly interested in the genre.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Download League of Legends (it's free) if you're slightly interested in the genre.

League of Legends is quite a different game though. If you like the easy version of DOTA then League of Legends is essentially that. I don't like how they do the pay to play heroes shit and the rune enhancements or whatever. It's against the idea of how DOTA works.

I hope DOTA 2 comes out soon. >_<

Mennovh

Jan 29, 2010
Basically the re playability of this game is from the amount of heroes you can choose from. Every single match is like a whole new game because of the countless different team makeups you can have and the different strategy's you can use to win the game. Basically in the game you have your initiator, ganker, support, and carry. The fun part about the heros with these varying roles is each has their strengths and weaknesses. Basically each hero has an advantage at a certain point in the game. Some heroes are super powerful early, but lose their edge in the late game, BUT still play an important role throughout the game.

The main reason why the community gets such a bad rep is because its a very team oriented game. Not only that, its also a very competitive game and people hate to lose which brings out the worst in players. Basically if your the weak link of the team and cause your team to lose you will get flamed pretty hard. Its really up to you on how you handle it.

I don't care who the player is, every player has bad games which they don't do well or get owned in their lane and it carrys over into the mid game.

Its such a great game though, well worth the $10 for sure.