Hogwarts Legacy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
...sooo ....
is this a fps? arcade? turn-based? you've gone on 2 pages talking about stutter and social politics, but not a single mention of gameplay.

It is an open world RPG-Light game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Here are the system requirements. A 980Ti should be fine, though I am sure a lot settings will need to be set down. 32GB of RAM is NOT needed unless the settings are set higher than the available VRAM on the GPU can handle. Give it lower settings, and 16GB will work ok.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 (3.3Ghz) or AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (3.2Ghz)
  • RAM: 16 GB.
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB or AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB.

-Thanks for the info.

Found the following chart posted in one of the GPU threads. Looks like 30FPS is absolutely doable with ultra settings and maybe even 60 with some dropped settings or FSR (exactly the scenario upscaling tech is meant for IMO):
AMD-FSR-OLD-Cards.png

Edit: We'll there ya go folks, my very first full price game purchase since... Mass Effect 3. Gifted to my wife's steam account for Valentine's.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Looks like 30FPS is absolutely doable with ultra settings and maybe even 60 with some dropped settings or FSR (exactly the scenario upscaling tech is meant for IMO):

Yeah, this is a great use case for FSR. And also another great thing about open standards that aren't proprietary and artificially forced to only work on new hardware.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've seen the gameplay videos now, all i could see really was a atrocious AI just standing there waiting to get nuked.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm enjoying the game so far. The castle is huge and I haven't made it out in the open world except for Hogsmeade to gather my things. On PS5 performance mode runs it at 1440p 60fps but the visuals in my opinion look better when I have the game set to Balanced mode.

I have an LG C8 4k tv which is pretty old so I don't have VRR or 120hz but for some reason Balanced mode runs it smooth and it looks better than Performance..where at least some of the shadows and lighting are reduced.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I'm enjoying the game so far. The castle is huge and I haven't made it out in the open world except for Hogsmeade to gather my things. On PS5 performance mode runs it at 1440p 60fps but the visuals in my opinion look better when I have the game set to Balanced mode.

I have an LG C8 4k tv which is pretty old so I don't have VRR or 120hz but for some reason Balanced mode runs it smooth and it looks better than Performance..where at least some of the shadows and lighting are reduced.

Performance degrades visuals for better FPS. Balanced has better visuals. And if your TV is 60Hz, there is no reason to run it on performance.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, got the game downloaded and prepped for the wife (initial load and shader compile completed, settings squared away, at the acceptance letter screen).

Note, the "run benchmark" option here doesnt seem to actually run a benchmark, just detect your recommended system specs. Weird.

These menu controls, what the actual ****. Controller moves a cursor in the menus. It's not a good menu setup and I get the complaints about bad menu controls already.

Wife will play it after we get our spring planting sorted out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Performance degrades visuals for better FPS. Balanced has better visuals. And if your TV is 60Hz, there is no reason to run it on performance.
From my understanding of how the different modes work for the console is that Balanced is supposed to be for VRR Tv's or 120hz Tv's since balanced mode is supposed to target 40hz/40fps. So I'm confused why I get decent performance with balanced since my tv is pretty old.

Performance is constant 60fps at 1440p but in this title performance isn't like performance mode in god of war where it still looks great.

It looks good on performance but you can tell there are downgraded environment visuals.

There's also high performance mode (HFR) which is supposed to target 120hz if your tv supports it.

Fidelity and fidelity ray tracing target 30fps but no way I'm using these two on the PS5.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
FYI, this game has something I have never seen or heard of before: Nvidia NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling).

Given my 980ti is too old for DLSS, this looks like a shader based upscaling solution for older NV cards not dissimilar to FSR 2 (still proprietary though).

Has anyone heard of this or is this some weird shadow launched thing that will slowly gain attention over time?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Alright, wife played through the intro and got to the point in the game where you go to your first couple classes. Kids and I were giving her a hard time from the peanut gallery cause it's been a long time since she's used a controller and watcher her fight the controls was painful for all of us (kids and I couch co-op game on the regular, so it's old hat for us).

Reporting back on the 2200g + 980ti + 16gb RAM system.

Everything set to low, FSR 2.0 Quality, 1080p.

The game ran fantastically well and looked pretty incredible to boot even on low settings. The ghosting and smudgyness from FSR 2.0 at 1080p was reasonably noticable when dark colors contrasted against bright backgrounds, but not to bad otherwise and definitely nothing that detracted from my wife's experience (last 3rd person game she played was Zelda Twilight Princess so more or less anything is a major visual upgrade for her).

Didnt have a proper FPS counter up, but these old eyes would guess we were pulling a pretty steady 50-60FPS the whole time.

I can't understate how good the game looked even at all low settings. The days of low = potato graphics and High = Valhalla seem to be well behind us.

Game looks fun too. Combat seems nice and engaging with protection spells and attacks. Magic is obviously used to sort out some basic puzzles and the like. Look forward to seeing how the game continues to unfold.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
FYI, this game has something I have never seen or heard of before: Nvidia NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling).

Given my 980ti is too old for DLSS, this looks like a shader based upscaling solution for older NV cards not dissimilar to FSR 2 (still proprietary though).

Has anyone heard of this or is this some weird shadow launched thing that will slowly gain attention over time?
I have been aware of it about a year now. I'd pick FSR between the 2 when the option is available.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Has this outsold CyberPunk 2077 yet? It will be interesting when this less than superbly optimized title will supplant that one in terms of benchmark relevance.

2077 was supposed to be the game we all played while it appears this one is the game
everyone is playing…

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Has this outsold CyberPunk 2077 yet? It will be interesting when this less than superbly optimized title will supplant that one in terms of benchmark relevance.

2077 was supposed to be the game we all played while it appears this one is the game
everyone is playing…

- Would be shocked if it hasn't. Last couple nights the kids and I crowd around my wife while she plays the game in lieu of our usual before bed cartoon and snuggle. My daughter flat our refused to go to bed until my wife reached Hogsmeade.

Its so much more accessible and broadly appealing than something like Cyberpunk, which essentially only had CDProject Fanboyism behind it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
- Would be shocked if it hasn't. Last couple nights the kids and I crowd around my wife while she plays the game in lieu of our usual before bed cartoon and snuggle. My daughter flat our refused to go to bed until my wife reached Hogsmeade.

Its so much more accessible and broadly appealing than something like Cyberpunk, which essentially only had CDProject Fanboyism behind it.
I don't disagree that it would be more broadly appealing, but I do disagree that it essentially only had CDProjekt fans behind it (I'm interested in playing in it in a couple years, because I like cyberpunk stuff, I'm overall pretty neutral on the company itself)

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I don't disagree that it would be more broadly appealing, but I do disagree that it essentially only had CDProjekt fans behind it (I'm interested in playing in it in a couple years, because I like cyberpunk stuff, I'm overall pretty neutral on the company itself)

-Yeah I mean there were other pathways to the hype but with Witcher 3 being hailed as the Messiah of open world RPGs and such good writing and such a well built open world and such... combat; CDPR was really being lauded as the "keeper of the flame" for RPGs after Bioware sold it's soul. I mean it turned out Witcher 3 was more of a fluke than the norm, but hey.

The constant delays only brought the hype to feverish proportions with so many "A rushed game is forever bad, a delayed game is eventually good" -Shirgu "You Know I said this before patches existed" Myamoto quotes/memes.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Worth to buy?

- I've played a little but I've watched my wife play more.

I think if you're a HP fan and love the world and the idea of seeing all of Hogwarts, and you have a reasonably modern gaming PC or next gen console, it's a no brainer go ahead and buy it.

OTOH if you're not really into HP or aren't looking for "deep cuts" on the world's lore etc, or have a relic of a PC/last gen console, wait for a deep discount or sale.

The game is a pretty straight forward paint by numbers open world game. The combat etc is all perfectly serviceable but also nothing groundbreaking. Lots of checklists and "puzzles" where you're given the solution 5 seconds after being exposed to the problem. The whole schtick is the wizarding world and if that's not your thing then it's just another game.