Hey hoplophiles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Here's a brilliant solution. Been around for thousands of years. It's called a wall.

You put them around things you want to protect from crazy barbarians, and it works.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Where does this crapola come from come from that violent video games or games in themselves cause later violence in society.

As games are almost an essential part of childhood, especially in every human civilized society on earth. As for me, one of the first games I learned was "candyland", that if nothing else taught, if you had the unlucky misfortune to land on the wrong square in the game, you went back many squares, and if you were lucky, and landed on the right square, you were closer to your goal of winning the game. But since luck and not skill controls the outcome on such games, it teaches little.

Later on, I graduated to chess, and at an early age I found I had an aptitude for chess. As chess is based on one initial requirement, if I as a player did not do the meanest nastiest thing I could do to my fellow player, on each and every move, my opponent would do the meanest and nastiest thing to me in turn and in so doing win the game. And at the same time taught, if I over reached, blundered, or did not pay sufficient attention to my own defense, the world had real world consequences in that I would lose in stead of win. Valuable real world lessons. In short, chess as a game, is a fun thing to play, especially among friends, its a piss poor way to conduct your affairs in life.

At the same many of my fellow elementary students played organized athletic sports starting mainly only at Jr. High school level. When various players use their athletic abilities to head to head play other students at other schools. But still such athletic sports are played by real world rules, and woe be on the players who violated those rules, because all they win for their team is a penalty that favors the other team. As I ask, how is that different from chess? As many former college and professional sports stars, go on to become politicians. Willing and able to work with even everyone, including those who played for the "other team" so many years ago.

As we can also talk about the LaPierre NRA argument about violent video games, like grand theft auto or their many clones. Arcade games that reward those with the fastest reflexes using a mouse or a games stick, not to mention the fact you need a really fast computer to be competitive. Does that teach crime as Ole LaPierre advocates? As I know many fine and socially productive men and women who work and are socially productive, who come home from work and play such violent arcade video just for their own entertainment. And some of those go on to civilian careers of piloting out Mars rovers.

As for me, when I was engaged in a rather vicious divorce, killing bazillions of imaginary Zilions in some stupid computers game kept me occupied and sane.

As I say, again and again, the NRA is full of shit with their excuse that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. When the facts are and remain, bad guys with guns are far more effective at stopping good guys with guns. And when NRA policy is based on making it totally easy for bad guys to obtain the most lethal and most effective weapons for killing human beings, there is something wrong with NRA stupidity.

As I can also say, the world will never remember that I prevailed in my divorce 20 years ago, or all the imaginary Zilions I killed during the process. Or all the imaginary cars stolen by players of grand theft auto.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
What about decades of playing cowboys and Indians? Did that fuck up kids a hundred years ago?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Here's a brilliant solution. Been around for thousands of years. It's called a wall.

You put them around things you want to protect from crazy barbarians, and it works.

Walls did not protect Rome from crazy barbarians. :colbert:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
yeah again people of power gloss over the real issue. Mental illness.

it's not video games, it's not violent movies. it's people with mental illness who are influenced by media and wan'ting to be "famous"

Agreed. These aren't normal, mentally healthy people doing these horrible things.