Herman Cain has died from covid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It’s both sides-ism like this that enables the Republican Party to have become as insane as they have. It’s perfectly reasonable to think both parties do dumb things but we should always keep in mind that they are in no way equivalent. The Democrats are a normal, left of center party. The Republican Party is an ultra right reactionary party, at this point playing footsie with fascism.
I guess...if you count jamming the whole foot up our ass "footsie."

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
to be honest i think both parties are idiots.

Democrats are idiots at being vote chasers, and allowing riots to happen all over the place as well as CHOP zones.
The Republicans are idiots as well for stupid stuff like this.

Its sad because each presidential election that goes by, the running candidates are more fail then the predecessors.
No, what's really fucked up is that millions of people have been brainwashed into believing that a politician giving the people what they want (vote chasing) is actually a bad thing. Not just a bad thing, but as bad as letting anti-intellectualism grow to the point that it is killing thousands of people.

And who is allowing riots? Define allowing in this context.

The people should be rioting. Police brutality has been out of control for way too long.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
It's actually sad and wrong to exploit Cain’s death. Like 150,000 other American families, his family is mourning the loss of a loved one. RIP!

But....the ties need to be called out: You follow Donald Trump's lies and politicizing of a real fucking pandemic, out of vanity....you can end up dead like Herman Cain. Don't let this happen to you!. Don't end up like thousands of other Americans!.
I disagree, as people like Cain are nothing but enablers to what amounts to nothing more than negligent manslaughter by tRump. Not only was he stupid enough to go to a mass gathering during a pandemic, but he went for the purpose of supporting the man that is propagating the spread of COVID-45.

Nor is it wrong to exploit his death. It should be used as a learning lesson, that this shit is fucking deadly, but alas those that really need to understand that are apparently too fucking stupid to learn.

If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
FYI malpractice requires both dereliction of duty (in this case that offering hydroxychloroquine would constitute standard of care) and that the dereliction be the proximate cause of harm (in this case, demonstration that it is more likely than not he would have survived had he been offered hydroxychloroquine).

In other words, there is a snowball's chance in hell that the doctor committed malpractice for not offering hydroxychloroquine.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Nor is it wrong to exploit his death. It should be used as a learning lesson, that this shit is fucking deadly, but alas those that really need to understand that are apparently too fucking stupid to learn.

I feel bad for his family, any loss is tragic.

OTOH:
#1. His death is on Trump directly. Goes to Tulsa rally, bashes masks, 10 days later is in the hospital with covid. Call it assisted suicide by stupidity.

#2. The virus is completely out of control in our country. We have more cases and deaths than anyone, and it's killing our economy, our freedom, and national security.
Medical experts are warning tens of thousands, if not hundreds, of Americans will join Herman in DEATH from this if we don't change course NOW.

I am more than willing to trade the life of any dumbass politician not taking this seriously and/or spreading misinformation if it means getting this under control and saving lives.

Herman Cain
Golmert
Trump and family
The entire Republican party/Trump death cult

All of them, whatever it takes to undo this stupidity, get our shit together and beat this outbreak.

Reactions: Nereus77 and dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
VdCfVJp.jpeg

Not gonna pretend.
Heh, I made this meme just for you guys in this thread and it made FP on Imgur

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
to be honest i think both parties are idiots.

Democrats are idiots at being vote chasers, and allowing riots to happen all over the place as well as CHOP zones.
The Republicans are idiots as well for stupid stuff like this.

Its sad because each presidential election that goes by, the running candidates are more fail then the predecessors.

Both parties have their idiots...

But equivacating some hippy dippy protestors and a political party whose mismanagement and active disinformation that's lead to 150,000 dead and counting is universe-level differences in incompetence and guilt. It's silly.

It's like dismissing a speeder and mass murder as the same as they are both "criminals"

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I hope Mr. Cain is looking up at us and regretting following the Trump Republican cult to his death bed. Was it really worth risking your life for?

On a positive note, when Trump gets his one way ticket down there to join you, you guys can play card games like poker and black jack for eternity together.

Hell if you've got the time, throw in a few rounds of Parcheesi or Monopoly.

R.I.P. I hope it was worth it.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
This is the kind of shit I hear from my Trumpie family every single day, and just like Herman Cain they too deny the need for a mask. In fact, they think wearing a mask is communism. SO I worry for THEM and I worry for ME when around them. It would be a real pisser to catch the virus from a Trumpie mask denier.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 4.22.56 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-07-31 at 4.23.06 AM.jpg

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I disagree, as people like Cain are nothing but enablers to what amounts to nothing more than negligent manslaughter by tRump. Not only was he stupid enough to go to a mass gathering during a pandemic, but he went for the purpose of supporting the man that is propagating the spread of COVID-45.

I get what your saying...especially your last sentence. As always, I feel sympathy for the family and friends of anyone who dies, and Cain is no exception. But, as you say, his death IS self-inflicted given his vocal opposition to anything science related to covid19 and his support for a conman.

When you get right down to it...I'm not sure blaming Trump for Cain’s death will have any more effect than blaming him for the other 150,000 American deaths will. Those who understand the connection aren’t voting for Trump, and those who are voting for Trump don’t care about any connection.

Those people voting for Trump thought process:
  • Cain dying of COVID makes Trump look bad.
  • Cain dying of COVID is weak, and Trump doesn’t like weak people.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This is the kind of shit I hear from my Trumpie family every single day, and just like Herman Cain they too deny the need for a mask. In fact, they think wearing a mask is communism. SO I worry for THEM and I worry for ME when around them. It would be a real pisser to catch the virus from a Trumpie mask denier.

View attachment 27254View attachment 27255

That tweet is just wrong, or at best highly misleading.

Who is he comparing to? Spain, Germany (with much higher population?)

Sweden had a very high excess death rate compared to its peers, and had a very high per capita rate.

Great covid tracker from FT

Eg Norway had no detectable excess deaths, Sweden had 5500.

PM ordered an investigation into the flawed strategy, and the health minister admitted the approach was a mistake.

Our thread on it, and links to the apologies for the stupid response that killed people:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/swedens-covid-response-oops.2581341/

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That tweet is just wrong, or at best highly misleading.

Who is he comparing to? Spain, Germany (with much higher population?)

Sweden had a very high excess death rate compared to its peers, and had a very high per capita rate.

Great covid tracker from FT

Eg Norway had no detectable excess deaths, Sweden had 5500.

PM ordered an investigation into the flawed strategy, and the health minister admitted the approach was a mistake.

Our thread on it, and links to the apologies for the stupid response that killed people:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/swedens-covid-response-oops.2581341/

Yeah there's a whole host of reasons why that claim is misleading at best, and still despite Sweden on a per capita basis doing poorly overall compared to Western peers, they are actually a bit of an outlier when considering the results of their policies. But that isn't something to model yourself after. Picking the outliers among data sets as the representative examples of something is not an idea anyone with any basic sense of statistics would think was a good idea.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't think it's that simple. Refusing to wear face masks is an expression of defiance against the people that the right wingers hate, namely, society itself. Trump is certainly a leader, but it's not all about him.

Like scientists?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Like scientists?

Like everyone that wants to people to behave in the interest of society, it's performative selfishness and cruelty. It's like the guys that put the giant exhaust stacks on their pickup trucks so they can belch smoke at people.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
he also had stage 4 colon cancer... well documented.

RIP He did get wrapped up in some bad politics, he also did some good things and served his country well in the navy.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
he also had stage 4 colon cancer... well documented.

RIP He did get wrapped up in some bad politics, he also did some good things and served his country well in the navy.
I read that his cancer was in remission since like 2007 or something

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I read that his cancer was in remission since like 2007 or something

immune system is permanently scard by chemo... even more reason for him to mask up.

i liked him the first time he ran, and thought he had more self confidence than to bow to trump.

anywho.