Here's what AMD didn't want us to see - HAWX 2 benchmark

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004

I've not seen any mention of tessellation yet, from CryTek. Only their PolyBump technology. Which would be the obvious choice for consoles.
I'm not sure what they're going to do on the PC side. The game is near completion (or in fact, probably already complete as we speak, wasn't it to be released in November?), so it may have been too late to add tessellation support for Crysis 2, assuming they would be interested in it in the first place.

On the other hand, I would think that their PolyBump technology could quite easily be expanded into supporting decent tessellation. After all, the idea of PolyBump is to model high-res objects, and then have them converted to low-detail meshes with the extra detail encoded into bumpmaps.
Instead of bumpmaps they could create displacement maps, and then use tessellation to generate actual geometry, rather than just bumpmapping/parallax mapping to create the illusion of actual geometry.
Perhaps they could make an update to the PC version and add tessellation later.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Nvidia probably only paid in order to bundle the game with GeForce products. Maybe slap their logo on the box.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Scali, I believe Crysis 2 have been pushed back for a March 2011 release and I believe this could have to do with NV and tessellation, just a thought.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nvidia probably only paid in order to bundle the game with GeForce products. Maybe slap their logo on the box.

Aye, they gave a good chuck to the first crysis (probably not a full 2million, but I'd except this one to sell a lot more) and I'd expect the same thing as in the first. A splash screen exclaiming how awesome DX11 is on Nvidia hardware. I'm sure they have been working on a few DX11 enhancements though, for sure, just that I doubt it has anything to do with Nvidia's cash.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
Scali, I believe Crysis 2 have been pushed back for a March 2011 release and I believe this could have to do with NV and tessellation, just a thought.

Oh yea, now I remember... EA moved a bunch of games a few months forward. Probably because they didn't want too many of their own games to compete with eachother during the holiday season.
Well, at the very least it would give CryTek plenty of opportunity to play around with tessellation.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oh yea, now I remember... EA moved a bunch of games a few months forward. Probably because they didn't want too many of their own games to compete with eachother during the holiday season.
Well, at the very least it would give CryTek plenty of opportunity to play around with tessellation.

Do you think that would be enough time to get a working form of Tessellation? granted I got an AMD card as my primary, but it's DX11 dammit! I want more DX11 games (even if I have to set my slider to medium :D ).

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
So is CryTek the last bastion of PC gaming or what. Is there anyone else publishing an engine on par with theirs?

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
So is CryTek the last bastion of PC gaming or what. Is there anyone else publishing an engine on par with theirs?

There will likely be a new unreal engine by 2012. IDtech 5 (Doom 4 and Rage) was mentioned to not support dx10... but who knows.

Beyond that there isn't a large engine that is forth coming other than the cryengine which is more or less marketed system agnostic.

As for PC gaming as a whole, we still have the strategy games like Civilization and sins of a solar empire :D. I have my fingers crossed that crysis 2 will actually be as scalable and thus pretty on PC as they have hinted.

WarhammerTX

Oct 15, 2005
www.Snipergamerselite.com
Well Ive read thru most of the posts on this subject you see ive been and avid gamer for many years. there will always be controversy between the 2 company's, but this is competition and it is good for all of us.The problem is when they stop innovating new products and start hitting below the belt to try and put each other out of business. As nvidia did to 3dfx knowing they did not have the funds or resources to fight them in court. Hence nvidia was alone in the enthusiast graphics market for several years there after . Who knows what we would have today had this not happened. Now here is Amd stepping on the toes of NV a lot larger company that cant be pushed around like the smaller 3dfx they are having to push the r&d departments to the limit to stay at the top of the mountain. We will all benefit from this in the long run whether you are for the red or green team.If we loose either company innovation will come to a crawl.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

*cough* blizzard, valve, stardock, creative assembly firaxis *cough*

but point taken--none of those pushes the cutting edge of graphics

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Anyone can make a fun game, man. Not everyone can push a game that makes someone spend thousands of dollars and lose a girlfriend

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Well not to say I don't like pretty graphics, I thought crysis was beautiful and that mowing down trees with a machine gun was awesome. I still play games made for the source engine or the various unreal engine versions because they are better than the run of the mill releases that come out every month.

And yes blastingcap, sometimes we get to enjoy the rare exception of a game with gameplay and graphics.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Just to add an outside comment. I love all the "good enough" pushing people seem to be doing. When I first started reading these forums I remember that defense used by rollo as his more or less final say on the FX series (kind of sad that I remember this actually)...

tannat

Jun 5, 2010
Just to add an outside comment. I love all the "good enough" pushing people seem to be doing. When I first started reading these forums I remember that defense used by rollo as his more or less final say on the FX series (kind of sad that I remember this actually)...

That's true and time will tell.
The cards have been out for a year now, they are going EOL as we speak.

Sofar they've been good enough for any real use of tesselation. Question is if it will be tesselation power, memory or shader power that limit their use the day they can't handle the new games anymore.

And of course if this will be in three months or three years.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
That's true and time will tell.
The cards have been out for a year now, they are going EOL as we speak.

Sofar they've been good enough for any real use of tesselation. Question is if it will be tesselation power, memory or shader power that limit their use the day they can't handle the new games anymore.

And of course if this will be in three months or three years.

Until DX-11 and tessellation comes to the console, I would go with the later.
It will continue to be a slap-on feature on the pc with your on, off, low, moderate, high options on the pc. Can't really see too many developers going OTT on the pc when the money is in the console platforms.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
No need to push the graphics envelope, games that do often neglect being a good game.

+1

Where are all the good RPGs that are turned based I want those back!

Planescape torment,
balders gate 1,2, xpacks.
Fallout 1 and 2 (fallout 3 is a fps wtf <.<)
Lunar 1 and 2
chrono trigger
FF 5-9
Icewind Dale I / II

I much rather have a fun game to play than a good looking one.
And I want turn based RPGs back... Im tired of games being called action RPGs but really their more or less FPS games <.<'

I too think alot of companys focus too much on grafics and then end up not spending enough time on the gameplay/storylines.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Baldurs gate, neverwinters night, morrowind, Oblivion...when I think about it the strategy RPG games are really the only games I play my desktop/laptop.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
+1

Where are all the good RPGs that are turned based I want those back!

Planescape torment,
balders gate 1,2, xpacks.
Fallout 1 and 2 (fallout 3 is a fps wtf <.<)
Lunar 1 and 2
chrono trigger
FF 5-9
Icewind Dale I / II

I much rather have a fun game to play than a good looking one.
And I want turn based RPGs back... Im tired of games being called action RPGs but really their more or less FPS games <.<'

I too think alot of companys focus too much on grafics and then end up not spending enough time on the gameplay/storylines.
You forgot to mention X-com.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
X-com terror from the deep! Oh yes that was a great game! I still have that too :D

My bad.... I wish there would be a new X-com turn based game.

You got me thinking about the oldies:
Gods, Keen6-7, GoldenAxe, battlechess, Lost Vikings, TIM, Dune2, Settlers2, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Simcity, Theme hospital, Warcraft 2, Summer/Winter challenge games.

Lots of fun old goodies :)

Back then grafics where not what sold games though, it was more about finding new ways of gameing/gameplay more fun and exciteing. Today all we have is FPS/RTS more or less = sad panda.

Even our RPGs are turned into FPS but being called RPGs.

Last edited: