Here's a pardon for you.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Trumps tweet

Will be giving a Full Pardon to Dinesh D’Souza today. He was treated very unfairly by our government!

Lol as Allisolm said he pleaded guilty. how was he treated unfairly?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
He also said everyone coming from Haiti had AIDS and that Nigerian immigrants would never 'go back to their huts' if they came here. It's baffling that anyone would even attempt to argue that Trump's not a racist.

I guess allegiance to the tribe is more important than reality sometimes.

Allegiance to the tribe is the most important thing to the MAGA crowd. Even more than race or religion to them is how well you carry Trump's water.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Lordy. In Trump world, optics work in reverse. Pardon a political ally for clear intentional lawbreaking for political purpose? Not corrupt. No! It's the Obama administration that targeted him for being a conservative! Somehow that gets automatically believed, turning it into a win for Trump to slide further down the slippery slope.

Maybe someone making such claims will someday actually submit evidence that suggest selective prosecution? You can't just come up with a plausible explanation for something and accept it as reality. If nothing exists to support as fact, it is not fact.

Reactions: Vic

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
He's now planning on pardoning Martha Stewart and Rod Blagovech.. remember the Illinois governor who tried to sell a vacant senate seat to the highest bidder?

Reactions: Aegeon

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Lol as Allisolm said he pleaded guilty. how was he treated unfairly?

It's the post-truth Trump reality distortion field. Normal thinking doesn't apply any more than conventional physics apply to a black hole.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
He's now planning on pardoning Martha Stewart and Rod Blagovech.. remember the Illinois governor who tried to sell a vacant senate seat to the highest bidder?

Stewart was long before Obama hmm.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
This is insane. Pardons to recent convictions that are political in nature to people who pled guilty.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is interesting to see him rage tweet about insane conspiracy theories of law enforcement abusing their powers for political reasons and then go out and abuse his law enforcement powers for political reasons.

The projection is so transparently obvious. He thinks law enforcement is corruptly abusing their powers because that’s what he would do in their place.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
This is insane. Pardons to recent convictions that are political in nature to people who pled guilty.

Yup, it is insane. Not really any more insane than when GHWB pardoned the Iran Contra conspirators though. Presidential pardons have long been abused.

https://www.brown.edu/Research/Understanding_the_Iran_Contra_Affair/thepardons.php

Walsh released a response saying, in part, “[The] pardon of Caspar Weinberger and other Iran-contra defendants undermines the principle that no man is above the law. It demonstrates that powerful people with powerful allies can commit serious crimes in high office—deliberately abusing the public trust without consequence. Weinberger, who faced four felony charges, deserved to be tried by a jury of citizens.” He concluded, “The Iran-contra cover-up, which has continued for more than six years, has now been completed with the pardon of Caspar Weinberger.”

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
As a malignant narcissist he probably hates basically everyone but he really does appear to have a special hatred for brown people. This is the guy who said he didn't want black people handling his money because they were lazy, after all.

Sounds like he especially hates poor people. What you are seeing is the correlation.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yup, it is insane. Not really any more insane than when GHWB pardoned the Iran Contra conspirators though. Presidential pardons have long been abused.

https://www.brown.edu/Research/Understanding_the_Iran_Contra_Affair/thepardons.php

GHWB issued those pardons at the end of his term. Political pardons usually work that way. Trump uses pardons as virtue signaling to his base & to the peddlers of right wing conspiracy theory.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/trump-pardons-political-friends/index.html

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No idea who this is but am I the only guy who thinks of Silicon Valley anytime they hear the name Dinesh?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cher·ry-pick
ˈCHerēˌpik/
verb
gerund or present participle: cherry-picking
  1. 1. selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.
    "the company should buy the whole airline and not just cherry-pick its best assets"

The greatest TDS sufferer opines, ladies and germs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

you should point out that it was Obama's seat that Blagojavich was trying to sell.

The only thing you can predict with Trump, is that if it has anything to do with Obama, he is going to act in the most demonstrably vindictive [lovingly edited by DSF] way possible.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump: "Lemme see now, I need to poke my enemies in the eye again, I need to retaliate and hurt those bastards that are attacking me for no goddamn reason and seeing as if my giving get out of jail free cards to loyal conservatives like Arpaio and such really got the shit stirred and diverted attention away from this Fake Russia thing, I need to find more guys like Arpaio to pardon. That'll gin up support for me AND totally get back at those assholes who hate me I don't know why."

Nov 30, 2006
you should point out that it was Obama's seat that Blagojavich was trying to sell.

The only thing you can predict with Trump, is that if it has anything to do with Obama, he is going to act in the most demonstrably vile way possible.
Agree...except I'd replace the word "vile" with "vindictive".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think you're making a very fine distinction. Presidential pardons were meant as a check on the judiciary branch but have clearly long been abused for political purposes.

This is a different kind of abuse. Former presidents saw political pardons as a liability. Trump uses them as an asset.