Here comes the iPhone 4S' scandal: Batterygate?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

I'm not totally shocked. If I can get some marginal improvement in what I'm currently getting then that will be more than welcome. I'm not one to scoff at 'free' battery life improvement!

I'll bet at least one of the bugs is associated to Wifi. I've noticed if I don't charge overnight when attached to Wifi my battery is drained a lot more than not charging while not attached to Wifi.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
my point is, part of the reason why I bought an iPhone instead of Android was so that I never have to worry about my battery life/what applications i have open/etc. I have NEVER closed FB (I've actually never manually managed my apps), constantly lock my phone after using FB, and I'm pretty sure I've never had a 10% drop in battery life after 1 hour.

Well, in my case, I open the application, it updates the feed and just continues to do something in the background. It's been running for around 30 seconds now and it still says that it's updating even though my entire feed is now up to date. If it does this over the course of an hour, it's going to continue to use battery power.

I believe it's probably a bug in Facebook's use of iOS's multi-tasking in that something isn't being "resumed" correctly. I killed the Facebook app, reopened it, it accessed my feed and immediately stopped updating (and also stopped accessing my modem).

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Apple just released a 5.0.1 to developers to fix this battery bug, so I'm certain it's a real problem.

Personally, I have gotten that problem for a while now. Usually my phone could last over 2 days, but after the 5.0 update, it barely lasted over a day and a half. Going to see how much it does now with 5.0.1.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Opened up facebook @4:37, updated my feed, went to check in to hide said feed, hit lock
Unlocked my phone @5:32, updated my feed, went to check in to hide said feed

5b420ea3.jpg

3c49f6d5.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't it obvious that you're not suffering from the same bug that I am*? :p I even have the Facebook app crash on me sometimes when it opens. I'll see the blue bar on the top and the white screen where the feed would normally go, but then it just auto-closes.

Frankly, the Facebook app has always been a piece of shit, so I'm not surprised. Out of all apps that I have on my phone, I think it's the only one that has force closed on me, and it's done it over a dozen times. :\

EDIT:

* To clarify: As I said, the bug is demonstrated by the Facebook app continuing to update while your feed/stream has already been updated. I explain this in my prior post. That is THE REASON WHY I lost 10% battery life over the course of an hour. If you constantly run your modem like that, you will lose a decent portion of your battery. It doesn't matter what app does it or whether its intentional or not. :p

In short, you're not suffering from the same bug that I am, so I don't know why you're trying to show me that it doesn't exist. :p

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
The OP has been astonishingly generous to Apple. Yet you got on his case. Because Apple needs rescuing by you.

The OP was posted with a sensationalistic thread title meant to cast a bad light on Apple. He posted inaccurate information saying iOS users only recently got multi-tasking when it's been over 18 months. That's at least a generation ago in computing terms. His info on Apple's multi-tasking was also inaccurate.

Again, what part of my reply to the OP did you find inaccurate or offensive? Specific examples please because you are posting a lot of words but I'm not seeing a point.

You said I made a "knee jerk reaction" when it's clear to anyone who is actually reading the thread that my first post wasn't even directed at the OP. Just a general comment that can be taken as negative towards Apple and their "it just works" marketing. My second post was after I read the OP's post and correct what I felt was inaccurate. If you felt my "correcting" the inaccuracies of the OP was wrong, post why I'm wrong. I also posted an opinion.

So explain how my posts were "knee jerk reactions" to me and explain how I'm wrong. If you can't, then you have no right to call my posts knee jerk reactions and imply that the only reason why I'm replying to the OP is due to bias.

Anyone who has followed these forums know the tone of certain posters and where their inclinations are, yours included. So am I pro-Apple? Of course I am. But I do try to keep an even keel. I will say Apple screwed up when it is true. Unlike many in the Android camp. There is too much bullcrap those in the Android camp fling at Apple that it's ridiculous and nauseating. Especially when much of it is unadulterated bias.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Lets hope its an actual bug fix, rather than their 'fix' for AT&T's signal of simply changing the length of the bars. :p

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Opened up facebook @4:37, updated my feed, went to check in to hide said feed, hit lock
Unlocked my phone @5:32, updated my feed, went to check in to hide said feed

Have you got your app set up so you have to manually update your feeds? If his is set up to automatically sync in the background then that may be why his uses more battery.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
Well, in my case, I open the application, it updates the feed and just continues to do something in the background. It's been running for around 30 seconds now and it still says that it's updating even though my entire feed is now up to date. If it does this over the course of an hour, it's going to continue to use battery power.

I believe it's probably a bug in Facebook's use of iOS's multi-tasking in that something isn't being "resumed" correctly. I killed the Facebook app, reopened it, it accessed my feed and immediately stopped updating (and also stopped accessing my modem).

i think apple opened up location services with more API's. foursquare prompts me to go someplace so i know it's monitoring my location.

i bet developers jumped on this and are constantly polling for location. even in apps that don't really need.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Steve Jobs came back from the dead to declare that anyone who is complaining about battery issues is stupid, and using their phone wrong. He also stated that the iphone has the best battery in the world, especially when compared to android. He went even further, saying that the galaxy nexus, which isn't even out yet, has the worst battery he has ever seen, though with further questioning he admitted that he hasn't actually seen it yet

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
i think apple opened up location services with more API's. foursquare prompts me to go someplace so i know it's monitoring my location.

i bet developers jumped on this and are constantly polling for location. even in apps that don't really need.

That's a likely cause, and one reason why I'm glad for GPS toggles. Does iOS inform you when GPS is being used (i.e. Android has the icon show up top)?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's a likely cause, and one reason why I'm glad for GPS toggles. Does iOS inform you when GPS is being used (i.e. Android has the icon show up top)?

Yes, it puts an arrow near the battery indicator. It's white when GPS is actively enabled by an app, and a purple color when an app is actually using it. You can go into a menu to see which app is actively using the GPS.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
i'll have to test again, but i think i had foursquare minimized when the alert came in. making me think that there is something going on in the background

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The OP was posted with a sensationalistic thread title meant to cast a bad light on Apple. He posted inaccurate information saying iOS users only recently got multi-tasking when it's been over 18 months. That's at least a generation ago in computing terms. His info on Apple's multi-tasking was also inaccurate.

Again, what part of my reply to the OP did you find inaccurate or offensive? Specific examples please because you are posting a lot of words but I'm not seeing a point.

You said I made a "knee jerk reaction" when it's clear to anyone who is actually reading the thread that my first post wasn't even directed at the OP. Just a general comment that can be taken as negative towards Apple and their "it just works" marketing. My second post was after I read the OP's post and correct what I felt was inaccurate. If you felt my "correcting" the inaccuracies of the OP was wrong, post why I'm wrong. I also posted an opinion.

So explain how my posts were "knee jerk reactions" to me and explain how I'm wrong. If you can't, then you have no right to call my posts knee jerk reactions and imply that the only reason why I'm replying to the OP is due to bias.

Anyone who has followed these forums know the tone of certain posters and where their inclinations are, yours included. So am I pro-Apple? Of course I am. But I do try to keep an even keel. I will say Apple screwed up when it is true. Unlike many in the Android camp. There is too much bullcrap those in the Android camp fling at Apple that it's ridiculous and nauseating. Especially when much of it is unadulterated bias.

knee jerk found at "sensationalism." I thought it was tongue in cheek until you showed up and made the thread weird.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
pathetic ranting

Dude. Get a fucking life. The OP bent over backwards to be fair and to create a thread to discuss an issue that has been reported in the media in a fair way. Your head is so far up your ass that you can't have an actual conversation about the pluses and minuses of apple product. Idiots like you make this forum almost as bad as P&N.

And personal attacks and vulgarity such as this are not also darkening this forum?
Moderator TheStu

Last edited by a moderator:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Have you got your app set up so you have to manually update your feeds? If his is set up to automatically sync in the background then that may be why his uses more battery.

I get full push notifications, I don't see an option to automatically sync in the background. I just open FB and it updates (or pull down to update, as the case may be)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I get full push notifications, I don't see an option to automatically sync in the background. I just open FB and it updates (or pull down to update, as the case may be)

I'm just going on the Android version (and assuming they are similar).

If you go to settings do you not have a refresh interval setting?

Similar to this

Facebook-for-Android-Settings-Menu.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm just going on the Android version (and assuming they are similar).

If you go to settings do you not have a refresh interval setting?

Similar to this

Facebook-for-Android-Settings-Menu.jpg

bd6bc4ea.jpg

it seems to simply update whenever I open the app

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
bd6bc4ea.jpg

it seems to simply update whenever I open the app

This is the difference between Android and iOS. Android apps are true multitasking, so the app (or at the very least an update service) is running in the background, and periodically refreshing, or actively receiving info from something. With iOS the app isn't (supposed to be) running or refreshing in the background. It should be receiving push notifications, which happen whether the app is running or not. Windows Phone 7 works the same way. The app itself doesn't actually refresh until you open it. Some of the Apple apps and other apps work a little differently and actually do refresh in the background after a push is received, email for example. One issue with this Facebook app could be that the app never actually shuts down, so instead of just getting push notifications, it's actively running and taking battery.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
knee jerk found at "sensationalism." I thought it was tongue in cheek until you showed up and made the thread weird.

So you took exception with one word I wrote? The thread title is sensationalist. Here is the definition of sensationalism found in a dictionary: the use of sensational language, etc, to arouse an intense emotional response. The thread title pointed out the battery issues of the 4S. Nothing wrong with that. Then appends the title with the term "Batterygate" because it is a battery issue and also gate which derives from the Watergate scandal. Appending gate to a term has negative connotations and for many it implies unethical behavior and a cover-up.

Dude. Get a <redacted> life. The OP bent over backwards to be fair and to create a thread to discuss an issue that has been reported in the media in a fair way. Your head is so far up your ass that you can't have an actual conversation about the pluses and minuses of apple product. Idiots like you make this forum almost as bad as P&N.

If you think what I wrote was misleading or wrong, post why. If you think I was biased in what I wrote, post why. That is the only way we have an intelligent conversation. Instead of refuting my points, all you did was go off on a rant and fling personal insults.