Help suggesting a server build using an amd cpu

magraga

Jul 3, 2018
Hi all. I am building a server for my college for research purposes and would like to use an amd cpu that will get me 32 threads. I am unsure whether to use a threadripper or go for one the epyc cpus. The research is going to mostly be comparing a similar 32 thread intel machine's performance. I would also like to get 32GB of ram. I will not need any peripherals, and my budget is around $2000-2200. I will not need any software and I need nothing intense from the graphics card. Do you have any builds to suggest?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
What kinds of comparisons will you be making? Faster than 2400MHz ECC is tricky to come by, right now, if you're going to compare RAM speed differences, FI. The clock speeds are also different between TR and Epyc, due to being specified for different typical environments. So, if you compare an HEDT TR to Xeons, that might not be fair, given that a proper server to handle real work would have the slower CPU.

rickxross

Mar 6, 2010
Yeah, if you are going to compare the chips you should do like-chips. Server and HEDT have differing needs and tuning.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
32 thread intel machine's performance. I would also like to get 32GB of ram. I will not need any peripherals, and my budget is around $2000-2200.

for an intel machine? lolol....
not going to happen bud...
not unless u dont mind tech 2 gens behind current.