Help: I'm too thin!

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
I weighed myself this morning for the first time in several months and I'm rather alarmed. I'm 6'0" and 124 lbs! :eek: I've been trying to put on some weight, but I don't think it's working. I think eating is the hardest part. I've always had a fast metabolism and I'm on meds which completely destroy my appetite. I rarely eat anything from the time I wake up in the morning until dinner (but I do eat a lot at dinner). Other than force-feeding myself, is there anything I can do? Are there certain foods I should be eating to help put on weight?

Help! I look anorexic!

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
High calorie foods? I would trade problems with you - I can eat an extra apple and put on 5lbs. Try eating - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Start working out, even if its just taking a walk for an hour everyday.

I used to be 6'2" and 145 lbs. I too had a hard time eating, absolutely hated it. Working out jump started my appetite, just eat clean and don't stress/obsess and you'll naturally gain. Time helps too, as you age its gets easier, again, make sure to form good eating and exercise habits for success.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Eat what your eating now an just eat one bag of poi an 2 bowls of rice with shoyu or futi kakaki before you go to sleep, you should gain about 20 pounds in a month. Then keep it consistant to keep adding weight to your desire.

Or Gnc sells weight gainer but you need to work out or you'll just gain pure fat.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
get the high calorie weight gainer stuff, you may have to take in quite a few calories...but don't gain weight just by getting fat, lift some wieghts too.
make sure you don't have a tape worm

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Start working out, even if its just taking a walk for an hour everyday.

I used to be 6'2" and 145 lbs. I too had a hard time eating, absolutely hated it. Working out jump started my appetite, just eat clean and don't stress/obsess and you'll naturally gain. Time helps too, as you age its gets easier, again, make sure to form good eating and exercise habits for success.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

get the high calorie weight gainer stuff, you may have to take in quite a few calories...but don't gain weight just by getting fat, lift some wieghts too.
make sure you don't have a tape worm
Oh boy, how do I know if I have a tape worm? :eek:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Drink a lot of whole milk and work out so you don't just turn into a fatass.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
GOMAD. Gallon Of Milk A Day and life heavy.

When I was young prior to 12 I was skinny and picked on a lot because I was smart and the girls liked me.

Found my Dad's Sears weight set. Didn't have a bench...by 8th grade I was doing 80lb curls (all his weight, most of it was stolen in a rental he did) for 10+ reps.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
GOMAD. Gallon Of Milk A Day and life heavy.

When I was young prior to 12 I was skinny and picked on a lot because I was smart and the girls liked me.

Found my Dad's Sears weight set. Didn't have a bench...by 8th grade I was doing 80lb curls (all his weight, most of it was stolen in a rental he did) for 10+ reps.

Man, please, you was never smart...................

Drink calories, good weight gain power twice a day should do the trick

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Start eating regularly also.

Don't expect to gain weight when you're caloric-deficient the whole day everyday. I bet your supposedly heavy dinner does not cover your total daily calorie requirement either.

I rarely eat anything from the time I wake up in the morning until dinner (but I do eat a lot at dinner)

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
When I was 17-18 I was 124-127lbs @5'9
By age 32 I was 190-195lbs of muscle but I wasn't exactly lean.
Now a few months away from 40 I'm at 185 and in the best shape of my life.
If I stop working out I lose weight.
If I want to gain weight, I simply alter my workout\food intake

Push your body and feed it healthy foods. The weight will come on naturally. Don't rush the process with shitty foods or weight gainers.
You could, but most noobs just end up with a gut and a poor complexion.

Move heavy things around
Eat lots of health foods
Gain weight like a boss

Mark.hall

Jan 28, 2013
Mixolydian. I think the best way to solve your "problem" it's too speak with a nutritionist. Sometimes with an expert you can easily solve your issue.
Good luck!

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I was 6 feet tall and 128lbs right out of highschool. I wore size 26 pants. By the time I hit 25 years old, I got to 160lbs without doing anything, not even changing my eating habits.

Then 30 years old and I crept up to 180lbs and started to look skinny fat. My arms and legs were twigs but my stomach and face was fat. All this without changing a single habit.

I just started working out a little over a year ago doing strength training and since then I've gained 20lbs to 200lbs and the fat on my stomach and face has melted away while my arms, back and legs got much bigger. Still didn't change my eating habits, just working out.

My only regret is that I wished I trained right out of highschool and started cleaning up my eating habits. I would have MUCH preferred gaining weight slowly but correctly and gained strength rather than gaining tons of weight, then trying to lose weight while still gaining strength.

If I were you right now, I would clean up the diet, increase calories and WORK OUT! Even gaining 3-6lbs of lean muscle per year at your age is good.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I weighed myself this morning for the first time in several months and I'm rather alarmed. I'm 6'0" and 124 lbs! :eek: I've been trying to put on some weight, but I don't think it's working. I think eating is the hardest part. I've always had a fast metabolism and I'm on meds which completely destroy my appetite. I rarely eat anything from the time I wake up in the morning until dinner (but I do eat a lot at dinner). Other than force-feeding myself, is there anything I can do? Are there certain foods I should be eating to help put on weight?

Help! I look anorexic!

Some questions:

1. Has the appetite suppression only been since you went on meds?

2. Have you always only eaten dinner and nothing else, or is that relatively new?

3. Do you like to eat? Do you have any favorite foods that you eat?

Here's a bit of reading:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced9.htm

And a nice program: (ignore the crappy webpage design)

http://fastmusclegain.com/

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Some questions:

1. Has the appetite suppression only been since you went on meds?

2. Have you always only eaten dinner and nothing else, or is that relatively new?

3. Do you like to eat? Do you have any favorite foods that you eat?

Here's a bit of reading:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced9.htm

And a nice program: (ignore the crappy webpage design)

http://fastmusclegain.com/
1. Pretty much, yes.
2. I never really ate much during the day, usually just snack here and there.
3. When I'm hungry, I LOVE to eat and will eat just about anything.

I have been drinking some weight gainer shakes the past week or two and definitely notice that I'm putting on a little more weight than usual. I think now I just need to start working out more often.

Thanks for the link! Lots of helpful information there.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Drink a gallon of milk a day. It's an easy ~3000 calories, and since it's a thin liquid it's easy to do. Just set up a system, like everytime you check your cell phone, drink a glass of milk. I've done it to bulk up before and it worked great.

Also, obviously if you take in a ton of calories but don't work out, you're going to wind up skinny fat. Lift weights and take in a ton of calories. I'm also a fast metabolism guy, and eat\drink around 5000 calories a day just to maintain at 190lbs @ 6'2".