HDHomerun DVR?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
In that case, I am glad to have had the opportunity to rectify the omission...

Thank you -> Kickstarter Emails....

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just got an email about using an xbone and homerunprime to get protected channels via their app, anyone know the details yet?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It is supposed to be free as well, which is odd, since they charged $10 (I think it was?) for the android viewer.

Today we released premium channel support for XBox One. You can now watch all your subscribed cable TV channels (including protected channels) on your XBox One with a HDHomeRun PRIME CableCARD tuner.

If you have a HDHomeRun tuner the app is free - just search for HDHomeRun on your XBox. The app with automatically detect your HDHomeRun tuner, download the TV guide, and you can start watching TV.

HDHomeRun app on the Windows 10 app store

Cable TV support requires a subscription to a USA cable provider and a HDHomeRun PRIME tuner

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
When I got home had some time to read the forum thread. This release was supposed to work for non pc win 10 devices now and then for win 10 pcs after the next major windows update, but seems there is some issue on the video side (people getting audio but not video on protected channels).

I did enjoy those having a party shouting at the disbelievers that SD wouldn't be able to deliver on providing protected content, totally ignoring that this is where they were supposed to be 1.5 to 2 years ago.

Didn't see any mention of DVR capability with this for the one that kinda is dissapointing.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, guys -- I had to go back and review posts since my exchange with Kartajan.

The quality and reliability of guide updates to Win 7 WMC is becoming more degraded. That's an observation over the time since I last posted to this thread.

As we all may agree -- I want to keep using my HDHR'-'s. Two of them. My attention to this was diverted by my latest sig-machine project with the Skylake 6700K. We're not far from planting flag on Everest or K2 with that one. One more hardware upgrade and some more tweaks and we're Sir Edmund Hillary.

Right now, that system is set up with a PCIEx1 Hauppauge HVR-2250. When it stops raining here in So-Cal (praise Jee-sus! It's raining!) I'm going out on the patio to rummage around through my otherwise water-impervious PC-Parts parts-locker, to find the goddam HVR-2250 Remote and IR Blaster receiver. I ordered another one. I'm getting OTA on the Skylake just fine with that, Win TV 8. I may be able to port basic unencrypted cable directly from the wall to that, so it's an option.

Meanwhile, we have the Kickstarter HDHR DVR project, and I haven't kept up with the developments. The Win 10 installation on my other system was borked by a problem with KIS 2017 and a Win update -- not really "borked" but I killed it out of panic before I got the problem resolved. The Skylake is now totally dual-boot-wonderful with Win 10, so a chance to experiment with it soon.

Here's a question. Back in the day -- more than a year ago -- we knew we could download a Win 8.1 version of MC that ran under Win 10. It did -- until the new build of Win 10 borked it. that was a real and serious "bork." MC was gone -- disa-****ing-ppeared.

Was there any certainty of getting this to work again? Or would it be prudent to update my current HTPC-for-HDHR' with Windows 8.1? If I have to , I could set up triple-boot.

Meanwhile, what's the status? I was thinking to try Media Portal. KODI fell short. It would be nice if they could resolve the DRM problem at Silly-Dust and issue us a decent, robust software solution guaranteed to function as well as WMC.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
there is not way of knowing if those resourceful people who got WMC to work on W10 before will have any luck on the new builds. I would keep the Win7 box as is until you have something else running that runs as you desire as one of those "DRM afflicted" people, (for "production" use).

I read some of the hoops required to make DRM happen, and no wonder why no one else even tried.... (The 8 million dollar insurance requirement is a big one)
SD's DVR is not there yet, but progress IS being made.

They have Live DRM viewing functionality on the XBox One, and some Win10 devices.
Re: Announcement: XBox One protected channel support

Postby nickk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 am
If you have a Win10 device with a built in screen (laptop, tablet, or all-in-one) and it meets a long list of requirements then it may work with this release. Big-screen support is being held up over an issue we are working with Microsoft on.

Nick

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=63942

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
thanks, man. I'll keep my eyes open. And I'll get to that link soon.

I'm also thinking that I could get DRM through my cable-provider's STB with a setup that involves those stick-on infrared sensors and a connection to my HVR-2250. If that is at all possible, then Hauppauge's WinTV v.8 could be a decent interface. It's a fairly robust program, but still -- no channel line-up menu comparable to WMC.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
Windows 10 PCs
(Desktops, Laptops, Tablets, HDMI-sticks, etc)
Starting with the 20170206 app release protected channels can be viewed on Windows 10 if the following requirements are met:
* Windows 10 Anniversary Edition or newer (Version 1607 Build 14393 or newer).
* System uses UEFI boot or has a TPM. Most modern systems use UEFI boot and meet this requirement.
* TV or monitor with HDCP support connected, and/or internal screen. Generally all TVs and monitors with HDMI inputs support HDCP.
* Windows DVD Player app installed (paid app from the App Store). This will not be required once the next major Windows 10 update is released.

Windows 10 Insider Builds: If you are running one of the latest Windows 10 builds as part of the Insider program you can install the needed codec using the following app-store link: ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9n95q1zzpmh4
The Windows DVD Player app is not required if this codec is installed.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just updated software on my win qo machine and homerun view program went byebye.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
Just updated software on my win qo machine and homerun view program went byebye.
??? You may have to go back in via the "windows store"... That is where I installed mine from... (I am OTA only though, so protected content is moot for me)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
So, has anyone attempted to record anything with DRM yet?
How is the file stored, if you copy said file to a flash drive, and look at it on another computer/device, can you still view it? (Like if you want to view the file on your android (or whatever))
What about viewing it over the network from another machine/device?

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
How is the file stored, if you copy said file to a flash drive, and look at it on another computer/device, can you still view it? (Like if you want to view the file on your android (or whatever))

DRM recording is not supported yet. Just live viewing on Xbox One and some Win 10 PCs.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The DRM issues on Windows 10 are due to DVD support and MPEG2. For channels that are on h264, the DRM is working fine as that support is built-in to Windows and the software. For MPEG2 decoding on older channels, apparently the DVD Player for Windows 10 is required at the moment. Microsoft are patching in a fix to no longer require that in Windows 10 (since it's $10) but I believe currently that patch is on Insider status only.

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
All true. However, recording is still not supported for DRM channels regardless of the platform.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001

The expectation (whenever DRM recording actually gets enabled) would be the file is stored in an encrypted manner so that the only way to access it is via the HDHR DVR app on the LOCAL network, so that any supported device would be able to access it that way.. So although COPY would break the chain and make it unwatchable, leaving it in place you should be able to watch via other devices on the same network...

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The expectation (whenever DRM recording actually gets enabled) would be the file is stored in an encrypted manner so that the only way to access it is via the HDHR DVR app on the LOCAL network, so that any supported device would be able to access it that way.. So although COPY would break the chain and make it unwatchable, leaving it in place you should be able to watch via other devices on the same network...
Yeah that's interesting how it's going to be implemented (and a big IF as well). WMC DRM recording you had to play it back on the device that recorded it, irrespective of where the actual file was located. With HDHR DVR on NAS there's no particular device that initiated the recording. I can forsee problems implementing that for them as you can't really enforce local network reliably plus you have no idea what/how many devices are on that "local" network.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
you could play it back on the recording device or on any authorized extender, just weren't many of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malogeek

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
to be more precise, the recording device did the actual playback, and it was streamed to the extender... (thus the interest people had in "softsled", which never went anywhere...)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I have an hdhomerun prime; does the andriod version work well enough to use it to with a shield for watching on a tv over wifi (comcast h.264 - mpeg4 - not mpeg 2) ? I currently watch tv on my computer via mpv (similar to mpalyer) but i do not want to hook a computer up to a tv - also i use a keyboard on my tv would prefer a device with remote for the tv - hence the suggestion of the andirod ap and nvidia shield - anyone use this setup - any comments ?

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I have an hdhomerun prime; does the andriod version work well enough to use it to with a shield for watching on a tv over wifi (comcast h.264 - mpeg4 - not mpeg 2) ? I currently watch tv on my computer via mpv (similar to mpalyer) but i do not want to hook a computer up to a tv - also i use a keyboard on my tv would prefer a device with remote for the tv - hence the suggestion of the andirod ap and nvidia shield - anyone use this setup - any comments ?
Although I am not using a Prime (Connect for OTA), my setup worked just fine on wireless AC most of the time... I had issues when the microwave was running in the closest location until I switched to wired...

and if hardwired is not an option, the general idea is the best to worst = wired- MOCA- Powerline- Wireless ac- wireless n- <less than n wireless standards don't cut the mustard>

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
My setup is listed in my sig, Primarily watch on Shield(s), but also use PC on occasion...

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Which app do you use with shield to watch on the tv and does the remote work well ?