Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I got my initial vaccine, but it made me very very sick. No boosters. Ive had COVID and would rather experience that than what I experienced with the vax. I work 100% at home, and rarely go out, so my risk is pretty low.

edit: Im not an anti-vaxxer. I get flu done every year, and I have about 10 countries stamped in my passport so have been vaxxed for just about everything. But the COVID vaccine kicked my ass.
Wouldn’t be my choice however I don’t think it is a horrible choice. You’ve been vaccinated, you’ve had COVID & recovered assumably without extra ordinary care.
As I said above the other Moderna’s really kicked my ass as in I spent the majority of the next day on the couch either napping or preparing to nap. This one was similar to a strong season flu short. Sort of tired, kind of sore but not so bad it prevented me from doing stuff.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I got my initial vaccine, but it made me very very sick. No boosters. Ive had COVID and would rather experience that than what I experienced with the vax. I work 100% at home, and rarely go out, so my risk is pretty low.

edit: Im not an anti-vaxxer. I get flu done every year, and I have about 10 countries stamped in my passport so have been vaxxed for just about everything. But the COVID vaccine kicked my ass.

Yet you have had COVID...

Did you have COVID before or after your COVID vaccine?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have my bivalent and flu shot scheduled for tomorrow. Up to this point I've had 3 Pfizer shots (2 initial and 1 booster). It's almost been a year since I've gotten a shot. Time sure flies when you get older. I'm a bit nervous since this is the first time with Moderna plus I haven't had a flu shot in forever. I also sleep on my side so little to no sleep for me tomorrow night. I plan to drink a bunch of water after getting stuck so hopefully it will help again.
Appt. was at 3 and I had to wait around for 15 minutes before anyone came to give me the shots. Both shots only took about 1 min. and were painless. She didn't even make me wait before I left the CVS. I opted for the flu shot in my left arm and Moderna in my right arm since I'm more comfortable sleeping on my right side. As the night progressed my left shoulder got pretty sore and stayed that way until I broke down Sat. morning and took a tylenol. I should have taken it before bed so I could have gotten more sleep. Luckily I was able to get a small amount of sleep on my right arm since I sleep on my side.

I also started feeling warm Friday night and I still felt warm on most of Sat. I assume it was a low grade fever. I also had just a teeny bit of a headache. I did start feeling better Sat. evening and feel fine today.

No idea if it was the flu shot or my first time taking Moderna or the fact it was bivalent that made me feel like crap. I think next year I will space out the 2 shots and source out a Pfizer booster since I did really well with the other 3 Pfizer shots.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
LOL @ .... "the vaccine is worse than having Covid" :tearsofjoy:

Unless you have an allergic reaction and die from the vaccine (possible but unlikely) there's no way in hell this is true just because one person got lucky one time with mild symptoms after contracting Covid. That isn't how this works.

As an aside .... ;)

"Often it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then it is to continue speaking and eliminate all doubt"

(Traditional)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Finally got the bivalent Moderna booster number two yesterday. It has been a year since I got my first booster, I was surprised. My shoulder is still sore today, there is a small swollen tender area. To the best of my knowledge I have not yet had covid, but I am still feeling the effects of lyme which I got well over a month ago. Heading to Hawaii in a few weeks and I was finally feeling good enough so I got it to keep up to date.

Reactions: iRONic

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Was able to get in for my third booster at Kaiser.
The moderna bivalent.
So three Pfizers and two Modernas.

Like the other four, no side effects so far.

Reactions: Captante and iRONic

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Got the Pfizer bivalent today; all previous shots have been Moderna, and never had any real side affects other than feeling extra tired for a day or two after the last one. Hopefully this won't be any different.

Got my flu shot in the other shoulder; hopefully not a mistake to do it at the same time and have 2 sore shoulders.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Got the Pfizer bivalent today; all previous shots have been Moderna, and never had any real side affects other than feeling extra tired for a day or two after the last one. Hopefully this won't be any different.

Got my flu shot in the other shoulder; hopefully not a mistake to do it at the same time and have 2 sore shoulders.
If you got the senior version of the flu shot with the Pfizer bivalent, expect a bit more of what affects you had previously with other COVID shots. My experience at least. I blame the senior high flu dose not the COVID shot. Of course, how would I really know.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Got my shot of Moderna bivalent on Friday afternoon. Besides soreness at the injection site, no other side affects. Soreness pretty much went away by Sunday morning and I actually felt good enough to go for a long run in the morning.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
If you got the senior version of the flu shot with the Pfizer bivalent, expect a bit more of what affects you had previously with other COVID shots. My experience at least. I blame the senior high flu dose not the COVID shot. Of course, how would I really know.
Did well overall. Shoulders only slightly sore; didn't bother me for sleeping. Did feel a bit of extra sinus pressure(and associated mild headache) over the weekend, but hard to say whether it was the shots or something in the air here. No fever.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Bumping this for an important reason..

We have clearly had a pandemic of the unvaccinated where the unvaccinated were dying more than the vaccinated.

But now according to the data it seems 58% of the dying are vaccinated due to vaccine immunity waning and lapsing.

I don't know if you got a booster but might be a good idea to not let your immunity drop! I also still mask up.. probably looks weird but I trust N95 masks more than a triage in an ER!

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Bumping this for an important reason..

We have clearly had a pandemic of the unvaccinated where the unvaccinated were dying more than the vaccinated.

But now according to the data it seems 58% of the vaccinated are dying due to vaccine immunity waning and lapsing.

I don't know if you got a booster but might be a good idea to not let your immunity drop! I also still mask up.. probably looks weird but I trust N95 masks more than a triage in an ER!
What data?
You need to give a link to give context to that middle sentence. That statement doesn't seem even remotely possible.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
What data?
You need to give a link to give context to that middle sentence. That statement doesn't seem even remotely possible.

Oops.. here you go

For the first time, a majority of Americans dying from the coronavirus received at least the primary series of the vaccine.
Fifty-eight percent of coronavirus deaths in August were people who were vaccinated or boosted, according to an analysis conducted for The Health 202 by Cynthia Cox, vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

It’s a continuation of a troubling trend that has emerged over the past year. As vaccination rates have increased and new variants appeared, the share of deaths of people who were vaccinated has been steadily rising. In September 2021, vaccinated people made up just 23 percent of coronavirus fatalities. In January and February this year, it was up to 42 percent, per our colleagues Fenit Nirappil and Dan Keating.

“We can no longer say this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” Cox told The Health 202.
Being unvaccinated is still a major risk factor for dying from covid-19. But efficacy wanes over time, and an analysis out last week from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention highlights the need to get regular booster shots to keep one’s risk of death from the coronavirus low, especially for the elderly.

That was the quote from the article.

Now we had a huge BA4/BA5 spike in June/ July of this year so that doesn't really surprise me as BA4/ BA5 went past the immunity of the vaccines.

But we know the vaccine still is supposed to prevent against death.

My best educated guess would be the 58% is due to a combination of factors..

1. BA4/ BA5 were just breaking through our immunity and people got infected a lot more easily.

2. Original vaccine/ booster over the winter in 2021 had waned by july 2022.

That would also jibe with their 42% vaccinated deaths data during the original omicron spike in January as a lot of people didn't get boosted and the immunity had just waned.

So stay boosted and don't let your immunity wane!

And for fucks sakes stay away from conspiracy theories - you know there will be a lot with this data and people are gonna gaslight the truth.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I just happened to get my 5th shot, third booster, when seeing my doc for other issues. The nurse asked if I wanted the booster against the latest variant and at first I thought no, Ive been boosted enough. Then I changed my mind and thought, well why not? So I did do it and with no side effects other than the slightly sore injection site that lasted maybe a day.
I don't care about those stats, I think its good to keep up on boosters considering. But the strange thing with getting boosted this time, I was asked if I had blood clot issues with my previous boosters and I said no. Then, I was asked to sign a form stating I was agreeing to getting this booster. So who knows what that was all about? I never had to sign anything before as I can remember. Hell... maybe I did?

Then my 93 year old father now in a nursing home tested pos for covid over the weekend. He's fine, just positive. However, the nursing staff never wear masks and I thought that was weird, and my anti vaxxer Trumpie Q sister got all bent out of shape because our dad tested pos and blames the staff for never wearing masks. Yes... my anti mask anti vax sister insisted the staff should wear masks when around our dad. My sister actually ran around to stores looking for N95 masks for herself to wear when she visits dad. Odd but true!!!

BTW, she has never gotten a single vaccine for covid and claims she is protected because she takes "herbs". And her daughter, my Q-niece, was making this concoction from one of her Q websites that claimed to protect from covid. From Bitchute I believe. She had been taking her witches brew for months until she became very ill, read others were also becoming very ill from this witches brew, so she quit taking it.
She refuses to get the covid vaccine yet she gets injected with botox to fill out her face and lips. Funny.... someone would fear the covid vaccine yet think nothing about injecting botox, with ingredients of who knows what, into her face. I call her fish lips. Is THAT suppose to look sexy? Botox fish lips? I think she looks like the wife of the creature from the black lagoon, no offense to the creature and I'm sure his lovely wife.

8152601925_65c08abc1a_b.jpg

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I just happened to get my 5th shot, third booster, when seeing my doc for other issues. The nurse asked if I wanted the booster against the latest variant and at first I thought no, Ive been boosted enough. Then I changed my mind and thought, well why not? So I did do it and with no side effects other than the slightly sore injection site that lasted maybe a day.
I don't care about those stats, I think its good to keep up on boosters considering. But the strange thing with getting boosted this time, I was asked if I had blood clot issues with my previous boosters and I said no. Then, I was asked to sign a form stating I was agreeing to getting this booster. So who knows what that was all about? I never had to sign anything before as I can remember. Hell... maybe I did?

Then my 93 year old father now in a nursing home tested pos for covid over the weekend. He's fine, just positive. However, the nursing staff never wear masks and I thought that was weird, and my anti vaxxer Trumpie Q sister got all bent out of shape because our dad tested pos and blames the staff for never wearing masks. Yes... my anti mask anti vax sister insisted the staff should wear masks when around our dad. My sister actually ran around to stores looking for N95 masks for herself to wear when she visits dad. Odd but true!!!

BTW, she has never gotten a single vaccine for covid and claims she is protected because she takes "herbs". And her daughter, my Q-niece, was making this concoction from one of her Q websites that claimed to protect from covid. From Bitchute I believe. She had been taking her witches brew for months until she became very ill, read others were also becoming very ill from this witches brew, so she quit taking it.
She refuses to get the covid vaccine yet she gets injected with botox to fill out her face and lips. Funny.... someone would fear the covid vaccine yet think nothing about injecting botox, with ingredients of who knows what, into her face. I call her fish lips. Is THAT suppose to look sexy? Botox fish lips? I think she looks like the wife of the creature from the black lagoon, no offense to the creature and I'm sure his lovely wife.

View attachment 71924

Ahh so your niece is into bimbofication.

Yes its funny what they inject themselves with as to what they wont! I've even heard of some girls injecting themselves with cement so they have harder buns of steel!

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Oops.. here you go

For the first time, a majority of Americans dying from the coronavirus received at least the primary series of the vaccine.
Fifty-eight percent of coronavirus deaths in August were people who were vaccinated or boosted, according to an analysis conducted for The Health 202 by Cynthia Cox, vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

It’s a continuation of a troubling trend that has emerged over the past year. As vaccination rates have increased and new variants appeared, the share of deaths of people who were vaccinated has been steadily rising. In September 2021, vaccinated people made up just 23 percent of coronavirus fatalities. In January and February this year, it was up to 42 percent, per our colleagues Fenit Nirappil and Dan Keating.

“We can no longer say this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” Cox told The Health 202.
Being unvaccinated is still a major risk factor for dying from covid-19. But efficacy wanes over time, and an analysis out last week from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention highlights the need to get regular booster shots to keep one’s risk of death from the coronavirus low, especially for the elderly.

That was the quote from the article.

Now we had a huge BA4/BA5 spike in June/ July of this year so that doesn't really surprise me as BA4/ BA5 went past the immunity of the vaccines.

But we know the vaccine still is supposed to prevent against death.

My best educated guess would be the 58% is due to a combination of factors..

1. BA4/ BA5 were just breaking through our immunity and people got infected a lot more easily.

2. Original vaccine/ booster over the winter in 2021 had waned by july 2022.

That would also jibe with their 42% vaccinated deaths data during the original omicron spike in January as a lot of people didn't get boosted and the immunity had just waned.

So stay boosted and don't let your immunity wane!

And for fucks sakes stay away from conspiracy theories - you know there will be a lot with this data and people are gonna gaslight the truth.

Couple of things here ... it's more than just waning efficacy.

1) Base rate fallacy
2) new variants with some vaccine escape
3) exact demographics of the victims ... are they already immuno-suppressed (transplant pt etc.).
4) ideally all covid deaths would eventually be from the vaccinated cohort

Get vaccinated and boosted. End of discussion.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I've had 3 and Covid, skipped this last Bivalent one got the Flu shot instead then got the Flu. . . .
Very mild flu but omg burning eyes

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I've had 3 and Covid, skipped this last Bivalent one got the Flu shot instead then got the Flu. . . .
Very mild flu but omg burning eyes

Flu is really bad so far this season. I think the vaccine guessed wrong.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
First you say:

But now according to the data it seems 58% of the vaccinated are dying

Which would be pretty dramatic, considering about 70% of the US population are vaccinated - that would imply 40% of the US -population are dying - Zombie Apocalypse or WW3 levels of mortality.

But then you say
Fifty-eight percent of coronavirus deaths in August were people who were vaccinated or boosted,

"58% of the dying are vaccinated" is NOT an equivalent statement to "58% of the vaccinated are dying"!

Reactions: hal2kilo

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Got my fourth shot last Thursday — the Pfizer bivalent for BA.4/BA.5. Worst I had was feeling flush and otherwise off for about half a day.

Easily worth it, especially now that I have an infant son. Until he's old enough for his own shot, this is his best defense.

Reactions: skyking

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
First you say:

Which would be pretty dramatic, considering about 70% of the US population are vaccinated - that would imply 40% of the US -population are dying - Zombie Apocalypse or WW3 levels of mortality.

But then you say

"58% of the dying are vaccinated" is NOT an equivalent statement to "58% of the vaccinated are dying"!

Touche.

Original post corrected to better reflect reality!

Reactions: pmv